Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Cantrell Motorsport's new transmission mount

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2013 | 02:25 PM
dawgdog
Instructor

Default Cantrell Motorsport's new transmission mount

I was having some difficulty with shifts under lateral load so I had the torque solutions 95a durometer urethane transaxle mount installed along with cup cables. The noise/vibration was unbearable. My next step was to replace the cup cables with the new numeric racing cable which is purported to be quieter. This change resulted in about a 30% improvement but still not comfortable for a car I drive daily. I asked Colin what could be done and he suggested trying his new prototype 85a duramoter mount which has an aluminum center sleeve like the oem.

My first impression driving home was that this is still loud. But as I continued driving over the next few days I realized it is a huge improvement! It is still loud but not in a bad or uncomfortable way like before. And at the track I had no trouble with 2nd to 3rd shifts under lateral load. I am sold.

Perhaps someone at Cantrell Motorsports could post some photos.
Old 07-09-2013 | 02:34 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Would love to see some pictures to see what's the big difference..

Definitely agree that the 95A version from Torque Solutions is quite loud.. ha!
Old 07-09-2013 | 03:12 PM
Air-21
Instructor

Can theses be used if you already run solid engine mounts?
Old 07-09-2013 | 03:16 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

In my opinion, it SHOULD be used when you are running solid engine mounts.. you don't want one end to be moving while the other end is solid.. I assume that would create bending and start to fatigue the metal on the solid end.
Old 07-09-2013 | 03:21 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

95 durometer from Torque Solution is advised against street driving for a reason.
Old 07-09-2013 | 05:01 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

I tried telling everybody that 75A is all that will every be needed for even the most hardcore DE car, as 95A is effectively a solid mount. I know the Cantrell mounts, and it does work fine, but I still prefer the 75A version from TS. Less noise and NVH for any street driving, and the car shifts perfect at the track without any additional cables needed.

Nice to have options regardless.
Old 07-09-2013 | 11:38 PM
woshimihei
Instructor

Do you have problem shifting 2nd to 3rd using numeric racing shifter before?
sometimes I found it is hard to find 3rd gear when upshift but sometimes it was very smooth.
Do you mean after using Cantrell's duramoter mount, you don't have problem now?
Old 07-10-2013 | 09:40 AM
dawgdog
Instructor

I put the shifter, cable and 95 durometer mount in at the same time to make shifting more precise and to avoid the difficulty of shifting under a lateral load (primarily second to third). Solved shifting problem but noise became an issue. I am not sure to what extent the new cable or transmission mount or combination thereof solved the shifting problem under load.
Old 07-10-2013 | 04:02 PM
woshimihei
Instructor

im using shifter and cup cable only, i have shifting issue, ill try transmission mount next to see
but i really don't know how this transmission mount work to sovle shifting issue.
Old 07-11-2013 | 12:32 AM
dawgdog
Instructor

Originally Posted by woshimihei
im using shifter and cup cable only, i have shifting issue, ill try transmission mount next to see
but i really don't know how this transmission mount work to sovle shifting issue.
Certainly has not affected your speed on the track! I think the transmission mount is important because the transmission moves on lateral load. But there are many on this forum that have real knowledge and experience. Hope to see you soon at the Ridge.
Old 07-11-2013 | 07:09 AM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

gear box moves in relation to the tub (chassis) and the shifter and cables, this alters there position when under load hence the unexpected bulk in selecting the gears, semi or full solid mount cures this. I have the 75 mounts and its a perfect change with a small increase in noise plus an increase in vibs felt through the car.

Quick Reply: Cantrell Motorsport's new transmission mount