Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Corvette C7 (Despite the other "off topic" attempts)

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 06:21 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Corvette C7 (Despite the other "off topic" attempts)

this thread went a little off topic: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...-corvette.html

this one was filled with info and some hate: https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...-8-at-vir.html

i'm curious, from the GT porsche owners... who has actually put money down to order a c7.. and why?

personally i love the looks, and the performance numbers are great for the price... and from VIR regulars i hear great things about the cars that were on the track....

obviously, the corvette crowd in general (my opinion) are hard to get a lot with, very strong opinions and a lot of poor drivers... (we will see MANY wrecked).. so i can understand the animosity.. but take the corvette crowd away and looking at the car for exactly what it is... i honestly feel it's a good vehicle and a great turn around for a very **** poor history with american vehicles on my part...

so out of the GT2, GT3 and all the other technical minds that peruse this forum (i would say the most "serious" car lovers section on the forum...

who actually has a deposit/order down.. and what drew you to the vehicle?

btw, here is a great link to Excel file to build a car and show what can/cannot be ordered.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-g...7-pricing.html

Last edited by rijowysock; 06-24-2013 at 07:00 AM.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:30 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

i will reply separate from the thread to provide some clarity in my scattered brain poor grammar post....

seeing the first images, i liked the car... placed a deposit (not knowing options/prices).

a few months of TRYING to deal with the corvette crowd, i withdrew my deposit and gave up my slot... the forum is VERY difficult to deal with.. very argumentative people... and some very strong opinionated people (happens everywhere, but seems like the "good ol boys" are over there)..

recently.. after seeing options list and prices.. the car is very attractive again, especially that for 56-57k you can build a very sexy car, with some great performance mods (Z51, and the magnetic suspension)... and you can have a great car that will depreciate 10-15% instantly.. but provide some fun..

I have since contacted the dealer again to get ideas of delivery dates and if i did order would order similar to picture below:

Arctic white coupe ($51k)
Adrenalin red interior (standard buckets)
Z51 package ($2800)
Black wheels (19/20) ($495)
Red Calipers ($595)
Navigation ($795)
Magnetic Suspension ($1795)
$995 delivery

$58,475 total (before discount/rebates).
USAA offers a rebate off the top, dealer discount, as well as other discounts available.

photoshopped image, but i did not choose the carbon roof for 2k (roof is already carbon, but 2k extra for the UV protected clear!)

i feel the car is attractive, performance numbers look fun, the manual seems like it will be exciting but also tame when desired... and i would personally buy the vehicle to drive cross country a few times and literally put 20-30k miles on the car inside 6 months and then trade in... i feel the engine is reliable, and the trunk space adequate... the magnetic suspension has always been wonderful (used on ferrari exclusively).. i'm unsure about the performance exhaust (don't really care about numbers but curious on sound, for $1195 it feels like a very cheap option that might be worthwhile?)... otherwise would have something custom made (but worth the effort?)

others?

Last edited by rijowysock; 06-24-2013 at 06:47 AM.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:09 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

i hear Hertz rent a car has a substantial order.....
Old 06-24-2013, 09:48 AM
BartN (TX)
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts

I like the car, especially the white with black wheels. It seems like amazing value for the money. A lot of performance. The Z06 version should be killer and will probably be available with a manual.

That said, I don't know if I'd want to put up with the typical GM customer service and dealer channel though. I'm also VERY leery of GM quality and after the sale support for items that may (will) go wrong when tracking the car.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:00 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,629 Likes on 756 Posts

Nothing that has not been discussed in the other threads;
Waiting to see if I can fit in a Z51 with the ventilated competition seats with my helmet on and the OEM data acquisition and camera system to order buy one. Should be spring 2014 or so before mine arrives.

Dry sump, big brakes, e-diff, cooling everywhere, comes loaded with everything.

I like the look of the front, the rear is ugly, but in dark colors I can stomach it. The inside looks nice, great leather options if you want to spend an extra 3K

Me thinks its a nice cheap car to share track duty and daily drive next to the 4.0, park it outside, valet anywhere and Dr colorchip instead of a 3K clear bra ;-)
Maybe its a bit heavy at 3300lbs and ugly *** but at $60-65K you cant have everything.

GM has said they will warranty for track use, excluding hitting something and over revs. Seems reasonable to me.

I applaud the approach and I will try one just for that. I don't have very high expectations, but if it's fun to drive on track, hold up on track with some pads, roll bar and seat belts and a set of extra wheels it could be a winner.

I won't have much interest in a Z07 version, they will be 80-90-100K+ and for me the charm is the low price.
I'm hoping that I can make my 335-30-18 RA1's work on the rear, looks like they left a lot of room with the OEM 285's in the rear.
Attached Images     

Last edited by TRAKCAR; 06-24-2013 at 10:35 AM.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:41 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That white is the hotness!

Im waiting for two things. To get info on the wide bodies and see how durable the engine is.

Warranty does you no good if the engine blows and the resulting fluid puts you in the wall. Have seen that happen in more than one occasion.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:16 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 798 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
That white is the hotness!

Im waiting for two things. To get info on the wide bodies and see how durable the engine is.

Warranty does you no good if the engine blows and the resulting fluid puts you in the wall. Have seen that happen in more than one occasion.
^ let Peter put it through its paces 1st.

Peter
Old 06-24-2013, 12:22 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

id hold off for the Z06
Old 06-24-2013, 12:46 PM
z06801
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aaron Pfadt of Pfadt race engineering will get a pretty early delivery and I'm sure he will put it though it's paces at Miller in it's stock form to get some baseline data before they develop parts. Very excited to see it on the track first hand, he might even give me a few laps in it that I'll be able to report on.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:08 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm in between C7-Z51 and used ZR1, either one will replace my Cayman. I have considered the following used cars into this decision (exception being the C7 and 981):

- 996 GT3
- 996 GT2
- 997.1 GT3
- 997.1 GT3RS
- 991S
- 08 ACR
- R8 V8
- 360 Modena manual transmission
- '12 Cayman R
- '14 Cayman S fairly loaded
- '14 base Cayman (no options) + 3.8 motor swap + LSD + suspension
- Vantage 4.7
- C6 GS
- C6 Z06
- C6 ZR1
- C7 Z51

The car needs to fit the following needs:

- Capable at an autoX in a stock or near-stock class at regional level (6-12 events per year)
- Fun at a track day (DE) (6-12 days per year)
- Capable in stock or near-stock form in the corresponding NASA-TT class at regional level (4-8 days per year)
- Give me no remorse to park it outside in sunny Florida all year long
- Fairly priced spare parts
- Fairly priced consumables
- Decent aftermarket support
- Nice to look at
- Manual Transmission
- Nice engine sound
- Not to exceed $80k
- Strong engine
- Log 15k miles per year for 4 years, and keep at least 35% of its purchase value
- Every car in the list needs the seats replaced

Lots of Pros and Cons on each car, but given my needs, the C7-Z51 and C6ZR1 came at the top. I'm waiting the market to check what the C7 release does to the ZR1, as the ZR1 is at the top of my list.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:08 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

early indications are for prices ABOVE MSRP. Youre doing good if you can get the USAA discount.

That resin, I think it made by DOW, is crazy expensive and will protect the CF from UV rays. Way better than the crap that P put in their halo car- the CGT!

I'll prob buy a 2nd yr, z51, in a DARK color.
who knows. gotta drive the dam thing first.

Last edited by kosmo; 06-24-2013 at 03:04 PM.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:31 PM
SWO
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it was Mikymu's Z06 Carbon that sent me over to the corvette forum, and I have watched the C7 back and forth with some amusement here. As with Rennlist in general, there is quite the divergent group of enthusiasts over there. Very funny. Much love and probably more hate - but I think it's a larger selection of potential owners than the more focused GT3 sub forum here. Lots of cars and coffee, "I need an auto on a Z car" "the tires are too skinny", etc.

I like Rad's analysis - it's about 125% cost wise of the car segment I'd like to be in. Autocross and track days have to fall priority wise below kids, the wife's dressage horse and my lack of time at home as active duty military.

MSRP is already the norm for the larger Chevy detailers taking orders now, but I would not expect the same sort of rebates seen at the end on the C6 model run in the near term.

I'm heavily biased toward the BMW and Pcar side of the fence (Years of BMW ownership, Pcars in the family, and I picked up a 97 M3 for autocross and track work, and moved the DD to a F150 to pull the horse - and someday a car trailer) but I'm bullish on the C7 Z51. Every car is a compromise, this one looks to score well where it matters and at a favorable value. The VIR times were good, and I can't wait to see one in person as well as the overall reviews this year. What will sell me on the car in a few years is the results of Trakcar's torture test.

Even my wife joked the C7 was passible - she has a funny list of cars not to own based on perception that included most domestic sports cars.

I may lust for a GT3 RS or even a Scud, but a Z51 could make a palatable play for a piece of my paycheck in a couple of years - and with no regret for leaving it on the pier while underway or putting it away wet from the track when life gets hectic.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:58 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey Trackcar, is the camera like a factory installed Go pro?? If so thats cool.
Old 06-24-2013, 04:07 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,629 Likes on 756 Posts

^^ yes, factory OEM data system with Camera, that is fact.

I imagine a kind of built in exportable Harries lap timer thing for lap times and a tiny bit of data, just the basics, but it adds all the car data, temps revs etc. etc. with it.

Fun enough to see what you are doing and you can check back and read what the car is doing.
Old 06-24-2013, 04:10 PM
TurboS
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Lots of Pros and Cons on each car, but given my needs, the C7-Z51 and C6ZR1 came at the top. I'm waiting the market to check what the C7 release does to the ZR1, as the ZR1 is at the top of my list.[/QUOTE]

If you want a ZR 1 why not just buy a 997 GT2, rumor has it they are pretty quick as well.

https://vimeo.com/38826655

Quick Reply: Corvette C7 (Despite the other "off topic" attempts)