Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

VIDEO: Chris Harris drives the new GT3

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2013 | 02:54 PM
s4awd
Advanced

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
If you really have to have a stair-master under the sole of your left foot, this isn't the car for you, but that's nothing to do with whatever "soul" means to any given driver....
It's all about connecting with the car. Does it have enough soul of it's own to stir mine? Everyone's looking for a connection. If I want to go real fast, I'll jump on a plane. I'm also not against progress. I was so excited about the GTR that I was one of the first in line to purchase one. A year later, I sold it and moved on to a .2 GT3 RS. Driving the GTR was such a turn off. Paddle shfter, G Meters and 4WS in a GT3? Are you serious??? Put it in the Turbo and have all the tech fanboys line up for it. I like wooden coasters, cafe racer bikes, and cooking with fire I'm also a drummerl. My electric drum kit has it's place. Practice. Yes it can mimic 300 different drum sets, can raise and lower volume and reverb with a **** and sounds tuned to perfection. but I will NEVER bring it on stage. You just can't. Back to cars, I'm also not just talking about a manual either. A go kart doesn't have a shifter but it is so raw, the steering, the sheer crudeness of it makes it special. I guess I'm just old . sigh
Old 06-13-2013 | 03:30 PM
CBad308
Advanced

Some Go karts do have shifters and are an absolute riot to drive.

~A

Old 06-13-2013 | 04:31 PM
Randy M
Drifting

2 stroke ftw...
Old 06-13-2013 | 04:44 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by NBTBRV8
He did the same when the GT2 came out, whilst it is the current car it is sublime, yet when it gets replaced he starts talking about all the faults. Well if this is the case why didn't he raise them as points at the time?
Until you have a new frame of reference, you often don't recognize the faults in what used to be the "best". Perfectly normal and reasonable. The new GT3 provides that new frame of reference.
Old 06-13-2013 | 06:00 PM
NBTBRV8
Racer

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Until you have a new frame of reference, you often don't recognize the faults in what used to be the "best". Perfectly normal and reasonable. The new GT3 provides that new frame of reference.
I would agree with you on subjective terms like steering feel, but understeer is different. It either has it or it hasn't.
Old 06-13-2013 | 06:15 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by NBTBRV8
I would agree with you on subjective terms like steering feel, but understeer is different. It either has it or it hasn't.
Perhaps. But until now, virtually every factory 911 has had some degree of low speed understeer, didn't it? With that as a frame of reference, the fact that the GT2 had less than before, and with no expectation that it could be eliminated completely, there was no reason to fault it.

RWS and the 991 chassis changed the equation with the new GT3 and made things possible that didn't seem possible before. The paridigm changed and with it perspective and expectations. Just my $.02.
Old 06-13-2013 | 06:18 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Originally Posted by CBad308
Some Go karts do have shifters and are an absolute riot to drive.

~A
I had one of these and a moto-x bike by age 5. Helmets optional in those days.
No helicopter parents in those days.

p.s. The Brazilians like Barichello and Moreno keen on upping the numbers of their F1 drivers have been advocating direct drive go karts over the old school shifters for years now. The debate rages there too.
Old 06-13-2013 | 07:09 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

That's all lovely and the monkey is good again no doubt, however, and without resorting to "philosophical" tricks, I can't but imagine how this review would have played out with the newer 991 evolved chassis , stripped from all the gadgetry, lighter, fitted with the 4.0 L engine , manual gearbox and a non-playstation s. wheel.

I tried but I just can't.

I guess we 'll have a near about experience and point of reference with the awesome 991 Cup car.
Old 06-13-2013 | 07:13 PM
TNetworks
Advanced

Sure, Harris is prone to hyperbole. In my mind that's not because he's a journalist. He just loves cars. What I would have liked to hear is how he compares this GT3 to the 4.0 he owned.
Old 06-13-2013 | 07:21 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

I'm an analyst. I like numbers. I just went from specs of what i like about the 4.0 and what i like about the 991 gt3. Green is good for me, red is bad for me, yellow means I'm neutral.

2 seconds slower at the ring but i get to interact... yeah... I wonder which one id take.

that said i have driven a 997.2 C2S pdk, through the mountain roads, and it was an EPIC ride
tossing it through the mountains. I do most of my driving in the mountains at about 1am vs track..
99% of the time i'm the only soul on the track at night

That said the new gt3 is fast no doubt about it..but at 150k, and with computers. I will still take my mp4-12c.

Old 06-13-2013 | 07:21 PM
MishaDesigns
Former Vendor

ill take one in white pls
Old 06-13-2013 | 09:27 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 997gt3north
if you worked at Porsche and you were on the 991gt3 development team you would have done everything they did - they delivered a faster car - it had to be done - they either added 150 more HP like the corvette and Viper or they did the best they could to keep the essence of the car the same but make it faster - this required everything that they did to be done and in my opinion measured against this metric they did very well

it is a 911 / GTR hybrid

the test mule they used around the ring for the last 4 years was the GTR - the only way to keep up with it was to do what they did (9000rpms, rear wheel steering, wider front track, longer wheel base, more front aero and PDK)

the car is now set for the next 10+ years
- faster ring times = more HP (GT2) more aero (GT3/RS) both (GT2/RS)
- mk2 refresh will have the computers doing more for you, etc

Welcome to the future
Well said.
Not my future. Right now I'd get the TT instead.

I think many of us like the challenge and the grittiness of an older 911 with all the quirkiness of a 911 still there, yet with all the every day comforts needed.. For some that's a no power steering 964, for some a 993TT, for some a 997 4.0. I feel all the 911-ness in a 997RS, the noises, the nose lightness, the art of making the nose stick and be ready to catch the rear. Slow in, fast out and I wonder of some of that magic is now really fully gone.

Maybe the 997RS was already to soft for some and too easy to drive on the limit but you can still feel it, you can feel the nose get light, start to push in and out of the corner. The 991GT3 masks that. CH glossed over it by just calling it a philosophy. I call that what my *** and hands feel, I like having a car that is very fast, but will push the nose into the weeds or spin if you don't handle it well, deal with the deficiency. I hope some of that the feeling is still there, a manual is part of that, but i'm less worried about the PDK-S than the overall character..

The 991GT3 is fantastically beautiful and great at everything, no one will not like the car on and off the track. That I understand and that is fact VS philosophy. It may bring it too close to other cars? Maybe close does not matter, it still has more soul than other new stuff, fantastic car, the best, effortless speed, except the TT me thinks.
Effortlessness; My Mercedes should be effortless, Maybe a TTS as well, they need to get you there blindingly fast, right now with minimal disturbance; My GT3 not so much, I would love to see a test between the GT3 and the TTS.

Bought a daily driver today, and will sample the new Corvette. It also won't feel pure, but easier to swallow at $60k. A test to see if it is an alternative that is more fun. Should be just as fast as well.

I have to make the 4.0 last as long as possible until it becomes clear what the RS will become, but I'm not hopeful.
Old 06-14-2013 | 01:30 AM
hesperus
Racer

guys, here's his write-up.

no different in essence to what he said in the video, but punctuates the point more about the loss of manual tranny.

at the end of the day, sounds like the car is truly epic. i don't (can't) blame porsche for making the new GT3 what it is, because it is brilliant. i blame them for not giving us the OPTION of a manual.

carry on

http://www.pistonheads.com/roadtests...?c=105&i=27907
Old 06-14-2013 | 02:29 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

f1 crazy is right: new is fast, but so is a mustang and corvette. nothing special.

reter is right: 991 is a great car. but if i wanted a car, i would buy an accord. now that's the best car ever made. if i wanted a TOY, i would consider a porsche. i hope 991RS will be a good toy. an utterly useless, painful, loud, low, eco polluting monster. otherwise, my garage will be devoid of p cars for the first time in decades.
Old 06-14-2013 | 08:34 AM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

8:33 and 12:10 enough said.

Looking forward to having a first drive myself...

Quick Reply: VIDEO: Chris Harris drives the new GT3