Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Helmet Question -- Airbags and Closed Face Helmets

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 12:25 PM
zellamsee
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Helmet Question -- Airbags and Closed Face Helmets

I have been running my RS and Boxster Spyder at the track with a closed face helmet. I have heard from a few folks that it might be safer to use an open face helmet with street cars, given the airbags. Apparently, there is some risk of a broken jaw if an airbag goes off with a closed face helmet? Also, the visor definitely should be down (and not open) given the possible impact with the airbag? Interestingly, the Porsche Sport Driving School supplies open faced helmets to its students, but that may also be due to comfort and better visibility? Any thoughts/input on this front much appreciated.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:45 PM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is some truth to higher safety using a full face helmet in an airbag equipped car.

However, in my experience, the benefits of a full face helmet outweigh the potential negatives. Life is full of give and take, so choose accordingly.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:28 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 291 Likes on 146 Posts

Ive actually seen some data on this in college years ago, talked to a friend who is in the insurance business and he told me I was correct in testing

If you have an airbag in your car buy open faced.

If you like closed face take the air bag out of the steering wheel

If you instruct, at least have an open faced to instruct
Old 06-10-2013, 01:37 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the only issue from personal experience is that a full face helmet with visor closed makes for a perfect way to trap in and breath the explosive toxic gas released when the bag goes off - it isn't one I ever thought of or expected

almost died (it felt that way) trying to breath

had to lift the visor and get the door slightly open to breath

this was in a car where both front bags went off

if the **** is going down and you are going in hard and bad stuff is about to happen, trust me you want the visor closed and you want a full helmet - it is not even debatable - been in two, one as driver and one as passenger - both were high speed hits and the word 'violence' is the best description of the moment of impact

you want a Hans, a halo seat, a full Helmet with visor closed, you want to let go of the steering wheel just before impact so you don't break your wrists, you want to relax, and then close your eyes and hope it ends well - you will likely be momentarily confused right after it happens and I can see why people might just get out of the car - if it isn't on fire, take a moment to collect yourself to see if you are ok and then wait for help - if you have a passenger, don't let them leave the car if you are in the kill zone of a track fluid leak - i would also recommend that you practice getting to your fire extinguisher by feel and know how to use it
Old 06-10-2013, 02:07 PM
ghst868
Advanced

I was wondering if it makes a different wearing a 3 point or a 6 point harness with a full face helmet when the airbag deploys?

I would assume that since you are strapped in with the 6 point harness you would not experience the full force of the airbag since your body does not move forward.

So my thought is:

Full face helmet is better with 6 point harness
Open helmet is better with 3 point harness
Old 06-10-2013, 02:18 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 291 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by ghst868

I would assume that since you are strapped in with the 6 point harness you would not experience the full force of the airbag since your body does not move forward.
Bad assumption

A six point harness belt will also stretch under impact
Old 06-11-2013, 09:31 AM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

Belt webbing is designed to stretch in an accident and, if stretched too far, will weld the threads of the webbing together. If you are in an accident with the belts, always replace them immediately.

Helmets should be fitted snugly. A properly fitted helmet should not be loosely donned/doffed, and there should be equal pressure at all contact points. The chin strap should also have the same amount of pressure. A full face helmet that does not fit right will be a serious problem in an accident, arguably more so than an open face helmet.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:07 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

My seat backs are high and my helmet rest right on the seat back. No danger of neck,injury with air bags snapping my head back. I want my entire fave protected from flying car parts, dirt rocks or whatever. Closed face for me.

Quick Reply: Helmet Question -- Airbags and Closed Face Helmets