Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

I need new Rear Tow Arms - Best Place/Deal?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 10:21 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts
Default I need new Rear Tow Arms - Best Place/Deal?

My current adjustable rear toe steering arms are falling apart after just 1.5 years of ownership....I need new rear tow arms that can also adjust for my lowered car. I think thats called bump steer?

Where is the best place and deal on the RSS rear tow arms?
Attached Images  
Old 06-06-2013, 10:40 AM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Call RSS directly, great guys.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:46 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 292 Likes on 147 Posts

call tarrett, I like their stuff the best. Ask for Ira
Old 06-06-2013, 02:01 PM
DC640
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There was another thread on rss vs other brands. They all looked same except one company had a different locking nut on the adjustable threaded area so it was very robust...

Mdrum= please take a pic of your current one. How did it go bad or worn? The Monoball?
Old 06-06-2013, 03:26 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 798 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by Izzone
call tarrett, I like their stuff the best. Ask for Ira
+1

Peter
Old 06-06-2013, 03:47 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

here are the only ones on the market that "look" different
http://www.championmotorsport.com/pr...cms-tstr-1.htm

I have RSS from RSS directly and their customer service has been great AND no issues with the parts at all.
Old 06-06-2013, 03:56 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by kormaster
There was another thread on rss vs other brands. They all looked same except one company had a different locking nut on the adjustable threaded area so it was very robust...

Mdrum= please take a pic of your current one. How did it go bad or worn? The Monoball?
No the monballs are fine but the threaded adjustments are seizing up. 1 has seized totally my mechanic said.

I'd get the Tarret but there are twice the cost of RSS and look about the same. The RSS Rear Toe Link w/ Bump Steer adjustment is 1/2 of the Tarett version. Tarret has 2 version 1 with Bump Steer adjustment for cars that are lowered and 1 version that does not adjust for lowered car. My car is on Bilsteins and is lowered some and I take it I need the Bump Steer version.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:20 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 798 Likes on 454 Posts

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/ant...ecatalog/N-9iq

Introduce your mechanic to anti-seize and you won't have this problem in the future.

Peter
Old 06-06-2013, 04:41 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

toe steer is needed only if you lowered all the way down comparable to the level of cup car. I doubt you got that low as it would also require alterations for arms in front.

Get arms with ERP ends, they should last longer. ERP I got are slightly costlier than ones tarett sells but tarett also has ERP rod ends on most of its stuff. Check with direct distributors who deal with ERP. Cheap stuff is cheap as it falls apart faster and suspension arms are the last place where you would want to go cheap.
Old 06-06-2013, 05:22 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by utkinpol
toe steer is needed only if you lowered all the way down comparable to the level of cup car. I doubt you got that low as it would also require alterations for arms in front.

Get arms with ERP ends, they should last longer. ERP I got are slightly costlier than ones tarett sells but tarett also has ERP rod ends on most of its stuff. Check with direct distributors who deal with ERP. Cheap stuff is cheap as it falls apart faster and suspension arms are the last place where you would want to go cheap.
The tow links I have, have FK ball ends and those are not the problem. It's the threaded part of the aluminum tube into the steel threaded rod that is having issues. The threads are not right with each other causing the threads to flake metal and bind and seize up.

If I don't need bump steer for these are then the standard Tarret rear tow links are about the same price as the RSS.

I'm not looking for cheap rear tow arms I'm looking for a good price and place to buy from since especially RSS sells to a lot of various dealers in this stuff.
Old 06-06-2013, 05:24 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Here are the Tarret arms that do not adjust for a lowered car....to compare with the RSS arms above
Attached Images    
Old 06-06-2013, 05:31 PM
mdrums
Race Director

ERP version which can adjust for lowered cars....very very expensive piece from what I can tell at around $700 a rod complete! Geesh!
Attached Images  
Old 06-06-2013, 10:32 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by 85Gold
+1

Peter
+2

Tarrett are bullet proof.
ERP is also kick *** stuff.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:20 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
ERP version which can adjust for lowered cars....very very expensive piece from what I can tell at around $700 a rod complete! Geesh!
to decide to go or not to go with bump steer you really need an opinion from a good mechanic who knows those suspensions so he could evaluate current geometry of arms you got in place at your current rake setting.

my gut feeling from your car pictures is that you have at least an inch or so of a gap between top of the tire and your fender edge so that makes me to presume you are close enough to 'stock' ride height and not low enough to require bump steer arms.

not only that, if you have non-gt3 uprights, like I do, a geometry of our suspension is not optimal to be set for extreme low ride settings, I know some people still do it on 997 based race cars and 996 spec but I was told several times to avoid it or replace uprights and put all required extensions on front arms to maintain them in a relatively horizontal position as when you drop car down you can look in front how those arms in front change their geometry and move away from horizontal setting.

plus, an extreme low ride height on race cars is usually accompanied with cup car grade springs so it severely limits amount of travel for all arms - on a stock car with stock springs you may/will run out of movement easily enough and it will be not good at all.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:46 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
ERP parts are top shelf and have been for as long as I can remember. Can be difficult and slow to get. Tarret makes some great parts, but it is expensive and can (does) become noisy, especially for a car with any street driving. RSS is what I've used of late on 997's. Durable, reasonably priced and can be fitted with bump-steer offset for cars at correct ride height. I think RSS is standard issue from Sharkwerks (that's where I got stuff locally for my RS 3.8)

Local to you is long time RL'er and sponsor, viperbob1 (Vortex Auto) who has put almost every conceivable suspension combination under every type of 911, road and race, so he'll have some preferences.

Quick Reply: I need new Rear Tow Arms - Best Place/Deal?