Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Now THAT... Was an explanation. :-)
Old 05-26-2013, 10:24 AM
General Jack
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CRex
Wouldn't bother with a straight 430, regardless of vintage. That's from the perspective of a track rat.

Having spent hours behind the wheels of scuds and 430GT3s I can attest that the 430 platform is one hell of a track machine when properly sorted. Is it better than the equivalent RS or Cup/CupR? No. (Otherwise I'd be posting under Rad's name lol!). Just different. The mid engine platform caters to better corner entry. And the paddle shifting is absolutely spot-on. The scream at 9krpm is orgasmic. All very different, in a very respectable way.

Now, it'd take you a LOT of effort and dough to get a straight 430 to perform remotely close to these levels. I track in tropical climate and have not seen any straight 430s live up to more than 5 laps of flat out driving (which I define as within 2 secs of pro times in same car). Those who try and (inevitably fail) will come back limping with all sorts of ills and it's always fun watching the Ferrari dealer crew rush to surround said 430 with portable fans to prevent self-combustion. Meanwhile our beetles quietly sit there, ready to go whenever the drivers are.

Drive the 430 to work; park it in front of your local sheeshee restaurant on Friday nights. Beat the last split second out of the RS at the track. Do not confuse the two.
Thanks for sharing, good info. I'll know that the GT3 is the better track car, 430 probably better for street cruising.

This car will probably be 80% Sunday cruising and Friday night sheeshee restaurant, 20% (at most), turning laps at Driveway Austin, H2R, or (hopefully someday) at COTA.

I need to drive a GT3.
Old 05-26-2013, 04:02 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bottom line completely different animals unless you are comparing a Scuderia to a GT3. In this case, both cars are designed to be driven at the track. The regular F430 is simply not. It is a surprisingly good DD though. What you would really compare to it would be a 997 Turbo where both have similar performance with a much more comfortable nature being driving on the street. If you are planning to track a Ferrari, take a serious look at the maintenance and part replacement cost before purchasing the vehicle. You might find the actual cost of ownership to be much higher than you are expecting.
Old 05-27-2013, 12:36 AM
vf430
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I owned 430 6 speed, gt3 997.2 and now have a scud. For your purpose a f430 6 speed seems like the right car. 90 percent street use.

Get a gt3 if you plan to do a lot of track days IMO its the best track day car, but no matter what you do to it sw bypass etc it won't sound and feel like a Ferrari for street use.

So it depends on what's more important to you.

Reliability shouldn't be a issue with both Ferraris. They are solid cars get a good ppi.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:22 AM
M3EvoBR
Banned

The Fiat's sounds is fantastic, the Scuds are really nice interesting cars, wish they would take the abuse like a Porsche, I would buy one if I could afford maintenance.
Old 06-02-2013, 02:19 PM
General Jack
Instructor

Originally Posted by vbmw335i
I owned 430 6 speed, gt3 997.2 and now have a scud. For your purpose a f430 6 speed seems like the right car. 90 percent street use.

Get a gt3 if you plan to do a lot of track days IMO its the best track day car, but no matter what you do to it sw bypass etc it won't sound and feel like a Ferrari for street use.

So it depends on what's more important to you.

Reliability shouldn't be a issue with both Ferraris. They are solid cars get a good ppi.
Thanks, I think you're right, I'm leaning towards the 430 at this point. Primarily street use and occasional trips to the track. Maybe if I'm lucky I can add a GT3 down the road.
Old 06-02-2013, 03:34 PM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by vbmw335i
The GT3 is more engaging and not just for the track. I've had both. Get an RS. Vinod bought my Scud last summer and until recently was trying to sell it for...a GT3. A Scud is fun for a little while, but the GT3 is a keeper. Much more involving.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:25 PM
tdf360
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by General Jack
Thanks, I think you're right, I'm leaning towards the 430 at this point. Primarily street use and occasional trips to the track. Maybe if I'm lucky I can add a GT3 down the road.
Opinions are going to be all over the map on this...I'd recommend you go with your instincts. I've owned a lot of Porsches over the years, as well as two Ferraris, and I'd have to give the edge to Ferrari in the emotional areas of the spectrum (the intangibles of ownership like dealer and factory events are strongly in favor of Ferrari) and like most on this board agree that if you want to do some serious tracking (more than 2 or 3 events a year) the GT3 is the better choice. The F430 is a wonderful weekend car, and I never tire of looking at (and driving) mine.

- Gary
Old 06-02-2013, 08:33 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Posted the same on f-chat:

Looking for some objective opinions on buying one versus the other. I'm nearing my goal of taking a big step up the ladder in automobile ownership, and its boiling down to a 2005-2006 Ferrari F430 F1 or a 997 Porsche GT3, hopefully a 2010+. Had been considering a 997 Turbo S until I drove one last week. Realized that having a true drivers car is more important than 2.7 0-60 bragging rights. Current/prior cars include E46 M3 and a bunch of American muscle.

This will be a second car, but I do plan to put 5,000+ miles annually. Also plan to run laps at least monthly, 25-30 minutes per session. There will be some time spent sitting in traffic on occasion in sweltering Austin heat.

My honest read after some on-line research is that reliability shouldn't be markedly different between the 2... as long as I get I nice car in the first place.

The visceral experience is very important to me. Both cars are quick, handle very well and (most importantly), sound dynamite.

Porsche will likely cost $10k - $20k cheaper on the front end, but price won't be the ultimate criterion. That being said, I plan to avoid ceramic brakes on either... don't want a $10k penalty for a sloppy tire change.

Thanks in advance for objective, well-informed advice.
there is a reason that the average annual number of miles but on a F-car is 2,500... Great cars just need to have a realistic budget for upkeep.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:51 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree w/ NJ GT, try to get a newer 08/09 430.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:41 PM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 136 Posts

As already stated - - -the 430 / scud / 458 is fun for a little while. I've owned them, and sold them...

I kept the 2010 gt3, put over 30k miles on it.....and still smile in every drive.....

It's the right choice
Old 06-03-2013, 02:03 PM
General Jack
Instructor

Originally Posted by -eztrader-
As already stated - - -the 430 / scud / 458 is fun for a little while. I've owned them, and sold them...

I kept the 2010 gt3, put over 30k miles on it.....and still smile in every drive.....

It's the right choice
Are you married and does your wife tolerate the ride?
Old 06-03-2013, 02:14 PM
General Jack
Instructor

Originally Posted by roberga
there is a reason that the average annual number of miles but on a F-car is 2,500... Great cars just need to have a realistic budget for upkeep.
Agree. I'm planning to put around 5k on annually, vast majority cruising. A few to a handful of lapping sessions.

If I go Ferrari I'm planning on having $10-$15k set aside for maintenance and repairs. Assuming I could lower that figure somewhat with a GT3?
Old 06-03-2013, 02:15 PM
General Jack
Instructor

Originally Posted by tdf360
Opinions are going to be all over the map on this...I'd recommend you go with your instincts. I've owned a lot of Porsches over the years, as well as two Ferraris, and I'd have to give the edge to Ferrari in the emotional areas of the spectrum (the intangibles of ownership like dealer and factory events are strongly in favor of Ferrari) and like most on this board agree that if you want to do some serious tracking (more than 2 or 3 events a year) the GT3 is the better choice. The F430 is a wonderful weekend car, and I never tire of looking at (and driving) mine.

- Gary
Thanks Gary, appreciate the insights!
Old 06-03-2013, 10:56 PM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 136 Posts

Are you married and does your wife tolerate the ride?

She tolerates it. It really isn't that bad if u drive nice.

Quick Reply: Ferrari 430 v Porsche GT3