Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Question about my new Trailex

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 11:29 AM
luv2race
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 212 Posts
Default Question about my new Trailex

I plan to drive up to North Jersey tomorrow to pick up my new Trailex 8045. I realized that I have no idea of the proper tongue ride height. I called the shop that sold me the Trailex but the person who is the "expert"is out this week.

I appreciate any suggestion on best ride height of the tongue. My tow vehicle is a 2010 Range Rover. I have about 4 hitch options so I assume one should match up but figured I would ask before I headed up in case I needed to buy a 5th option. Ha
Old 05-21-2013, 12:09 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

someone will chime in soon. if not, you can have the guy at the shop just lower or raise the leg until trailer is level and measure the distance from middle of ball hitch to floor.
Old 05-21-2013, 12:45 PM
gallowrm
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check carefully on the Trailex website. For the CT-8045 there is a dimensioned drawing showing the centerline of the ball to be 21" off the ground. IIRC, this trailer takes a 2" ball, so top of ball should be at 22". The Trailex factory indicates that its better to be a little high than it is to be low.

Once you get it home, load your track car and position it fore/aft on the trailer to get the proper tongue weight. This should help minimize sway while towing.

BTW, where did you buy it?

Enjoy, they are great trailers!
Old 05-21-2013, 05:49 PM
luv2race
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys, I'm going backwards from an enclosed to an open Trailex, I imagine I will forget I am even towing anything given the weight difference and minimal wind sway.

Gallowrm, I purchased the trailer from Prescision Motorsports in Northern NJ. Transaction has been smooth so far, they came highly recommended from a few guys in our local PCA.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:25 PM
aircavscout
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do a lot of towing with a featherlite trailer with my Audi Q7 Diesel. I carry different drop lengths depending on how much crap is in the truck and on the trailer. In the interest of simplification, you can always pull the trailer with the front higher as looked upon from a side view. If the front of trailer is lower than rear of trailer then you have an issue which will cause the trailer to be unstable and could shift left and right behind your tow vehicle... I have probably pulled my Porsche over 50 thousand miles behind my tow vehicles and I can't remember once actually measuring it... I am certain there are "exact parameters" but I know as a general rule, keep the rear of trailer ever so slightly lower than the front.

You have an electric brake controller on the RR?

I looked at RR but went with the TDI for pulling power... no regrets..
Old 05-21-2013, 08:06 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

FWIW, I tow an 8045 with a Touareg. Top of ball is 20" above pavement w/o trlr. Once trlr is hooked it goes down 1". Tows really good and stable.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:33 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

i tow a trailex 8045 with my 2008 range rover.

the factory trailer hitch set (comes in a brief case) works perfect. I think it is a 2" drop?
Attached Images  
Old 05-21-2013, 08:35 PM
luv2race
Rennlist Member

Aircavscout...yes I do have the electric brake controller, I used to pull a 20' enclosed so it was necessary. The Q7 diesel a sweet ride for sure but I'm a RR guy. This is my 7th or 8th one. I had a Tahoe for a while because I wanted the 3rd row but I went back to a RR and figured if I needed to bring more than 4 passengers somebody is riding in the luggage area.

To all....I appreciate all the general thoughts on towing. I should have explained that I have been towing for about 7 years now between NJ, VA, WV, PA, CT, and upstate NY. My question was specific to ideal height of tongue on a Trailex so I didn't have to bring multiple hitches.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:10 PM
JCL59
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

I have the enclosed version on the same platform. Top o ball should measure 19". Bought a 2" drop and flipped it over for perfect 19" on a mclass with a 2 5/16 ball. Check trailex their website or call sales they know their product well I found. Best o luck
Old 05-21-2013, 10:55 PM
Polarporsche
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by JCL59
I have the enclosed version on the same platform. Top o ball should measure 19". Bought a 2" drop and flipped it over for perfect 19" on a mclass with a 2 5/16 ball. Check trailex their website or call sales they know their product well I found. Best o luck
Recently did the same thing with my Q7, which is just the opposite of my Dodge P/U. The Q7 is a great tow vehicle for my enclosed Trailex.

http://www.trailex.com/specs/ct-8045.jpg

Quick Reply: Question about my new Trailex