Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Fiat out. Aero Beetle in.

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 03:09 PM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
Congratulations, dumping a 458 to get a 3.8 GT3 RS is the fastest way to lose 300 lbs.

458 and GT3 RS 3.8 are equally capable on a racetrack, but the Fiat will self-destroy after 15 minutes, while the GT3 will self-destroy after a few hours.

Scuderia is on another league, faster track car than both, solid, reliable, lighter and better looking.
Rad- is that after a $35k F1 tranny rebuild and $10k in heat shielding, new headers and cats for the Scud? I'd say comparing the number of GT3s to Scuds out there tracking and the issues you've had, all of the GT3s are much much more reliable.

To OP- good choice! You will enjoy the car I'm sure.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:58 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by scott40
Rad- is that after a $35k F1 tranny rebuild and $10k in heat shielding, new headers and cats for the Scud? I'd say comparing the number of GT3s to Scuds out there tracking and the issues you've had, all of the GT3s are much much more reliable.

To OP- good choice! You will enjoy the car I'm sure.
update:

The repair cost on F1 system is down to $3,000 with labor included (rebuilding your unit).

Heat shields can be custom made for less than $2,000, I went the proven way with heat shields, headers, headers jacket, straight pipes, straight pipes jackets, and free flow exhaust, car runs 30~ degrees colder than any Aero Beetle.

Aero Beetles need heat shields and additional cooling as well, especially in Florida weather. Heat kills engines, and high RPM kills engines, Aero Beetles do both.

In 4+ years of ownership, my car has had 2 repairs only, 1 of them caused by me (running straight pipes without the heatshields on the stock cats and burning 2 sensors), and the other one caused by me as well (2nd-3rd shifting on a bump at Sebring, bending the F1 actuator, out of T7).

Other than brake cooling, the Scuderia is fine as it is.

Plenty of 2010-2011 458 with transmissions replaced entirely, not the case with the Scuderia.

My two GT3 (one of them brand new) failed in so many ways, and so have done others. In my experience, the Fiat is more robust.

Show me one mechanical part (engine, transmission, suspension, brakes) from an Aero Beetle that is stronger than the equivalent part in a Scuderia (aside from body panels, because the Beetle uses steel, the Fiat uses Aluminum and Carbon fiber).

OT: how is the Coxster holding up? do you have a 3rd radiator? I like the idea of a 09+ Coxster S for shared street/track.
Old 05-23-2013, 02:58 PM
scott40
Rennlist Member

OT: how is the Coxster holding up? do you have a 3rd radiator? I like the idea of a 09+ Coxster S for shared street/track.
I say if you put equal number of Scuds and GT3s on track for an enduro race, the GT3 will prevail. There are just far more examples out there being driven hard every weekend than Scuds and they are not all broken. I've never seen a scud on track around here.

The Cayman is great! Interseries are not street legal and you wouldn't want to drive it on the street, but great car- love it. Very durable lap after lap so far. Running full slicks now. Can easily run in the pack, although a well driven .2 GT3 or RS is faster obviously. Yes I have the third radiator- no cooling issues. On a technical track like Mid Ohio- it is very very fast.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:07 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,670 Likes on 775 Posts

^^
If enduro means an entire DE session, stock for stock most Fiats will fade in the distance and roll down the overall and go to the foto shoot in front of the buffet. The rare hardcore drovers like Rad will pull ahead, then slow down a few laps letting the flames blow out and than go pass the GT3 and shortly after limp into the pit with temp issues...
Did you know that if you go mow the grass and spin in a Scud you have to remove the entire rear diffuser (= Gigantic BTW) to take all the grass out or it will self ignite itself.

The Rustang is also getting a bigger oil cooler, water wetter and some other cooling mods, so it should be ready for a 3 radiator Coxter at the PBOC event in Homestead :-)

Interseries looks like a ton of fun!
Old 05-23-2013, 03:26 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

I say if you put equal number of Scuds and GT3s on track for an enduro race, the GT3 will prevail. There are just far more examples out there being driven hard every weekend than Scuds. I've never seen a scud on track around here.

The Cayman is great! Interseries are not street legal and you wouldn't want to drive it on the street, but great car- love it. Very durable lap after lap so far. Running full slicks now. Can easily run in the pack, although a well driven .2 GT3 or RS is faster obviously. Yes I have the third radiator- no cooling issues. On a technical track like Mid Ohio- it is very very fast.
You know Fiat drivers, they are scared of racetracks, and when they do go, they call racing to a lunch time parade lap, they even wear the full racing outfit on the parade.

Give me brake cooling, equal tires, GT3 will go kaboom first, as proven in GrandAm, ALMS, and Porsche SuperCup. Lots of retired Beetles for mechanical failures, very few Fiats (except the new generation DCT 458 that still suffers trans issues).

I'm thinking 09 Cayman S at 100 lbs over the interseries but fully street legal, or 13 Cayman 2.7 with engine swap. It must be a 9A1, add trans and ps cooling, replace brakes, springs/shocks, a front adjustable sway bar, custom lsd, and functional aero that looks decent on the streets. $75k project limit with target performance on the 997.2 GT3 RS and lower operating costs (plus it is fun to bully Aero Beetles with the Coxster).
Old 05-23-2013, 03:29 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
^^
If enduro means an entire DE session, stock for stock most Fiats will fade in the distance and roll down the overall and go to the foto shoot in front of the buffet. The rare hardcore drovers like Rad will pull ahead, then slow down a few laps letting the flames blow out and than go pass the GT3 and shortly after limp into the pit with temp issues...
Did you know that if you go mow the grass and spin in a Scud you have to remove the entire rear diffuser (= Gigantic BTW) to take all the grass out or it will self ignite itself.

The Rustang is also getting a bigger oil cooler, water wetter and some other cooling mods, so it should be ready for a 3 radiator Coxter at the PBOC event in Homestead :-)

Interseries looks like a ton of fun!
Ok, I need 3rd radiator (where is RPW?), front rotors, and a GoPro facing backward to record the Rustang vanishing behind my current Crapster.

Next time I will bring a leaf blower to Daytona, still have to remove diffuser (20 minutes job).
Old 05-23-2013, 03:35 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,670 Likes on 775 Posts

Ok, I need 3rd radiator (where is RPW?), front rotors, and a GoPro facing backward to record the Rustang vanishing behind my current Crapster.

Next time I will bring a leaf blower to Daytona, still have to remove diffuser (20 minutes job).
I say go with the new Gayman PDK and do 3.8 engine swap with BGB. Has your name all over it! the 991 X51 has a 3rd cooler, so easy fit.

Your '09 is too tired.

If you can keep a Fiat and Coxter running I look forward to running Corvette Z51.

Funny number 51: trackable no option manual C2S X51 VS trackable C7 Z51..Hmm. The rest of the numbers certainly don't stack up..
Old 05-23-2013, 03:50 PM
scott40
Rennlist Member

You know Fiat drivers, they are scared of racetracks, and when they do go, they call racing to a lunch time parade lap, they even wear the full racing outfit on the parade.

Give me brake cooling, equal tires, GT3 will go kaboom first, as proven in GrandAm, ALMS, and Porsche SuperCup. Lots of retired Beetles for mechanical failures, very few Fiats (except the new generation DCT 458 that still suffers trans issues).

I'm thinking 09 Cayman S at 100 lbs over the interseries but fully street legal, or 13 Cayman 2.7 with engine swap. It must be a 9A1, add trans and ps cooling, replace brakes, springs/shocks, a front adjustable sway bar, custom lsd, and functional aero that looks decent on the streets. $75k project limit with target performance on the 997.2 GT3 RS and lower operating costs (plus it is fun to bully Aero Beetles with the Coxster).
May be hard to build that car only 100lb heavier than an Interseries? Mine is 2880lbs.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:55 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,775 Likes on 2,365 Posts

interseries is 2880?
my 6gt striker was 2650
I think u should cheat and get some cf doors
racing is cheating
no cheat no win
look at lance.
just don't get caught.
I'm practicing my cheating skills. race craft is over rated
Old 05-23-2013, 04:07 PM
scott40
Rennlist Member

I'm infusing some anabolic steroids as we speak and blood doping. Will make my right foot stronger. I would like to run the Interseries at least once- cant do that with cf doors.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:10 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,775 Likes on 2,365 Posts

cool u r an MD.
u don't want to know what I am on.....
just look at all my off wall responses on RL.
I don't label my bottles, whatever pill come up fits....
Old 05-23-2013, 04:32 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And Peter, here is your 51 ....

Rad, sent you an email with the prices for the 3rd RAD conversion ...

John ... no pills for you, just a lot of Test, Winstrol GH and some insulin to complete the cut
Old 05-23-2013, 04:56 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

May be hard to build that car only 100lb heavier than an Interseries? Mine is 2880lbs.
Pretty easy!

My 2007 Cayman S with low fuel hit the scales bone stock, except a heavier sway bar (GT3 front), OZ 18" wheels on 285/30R18 Hoosier A6 at 2,960 lbs. SCCA scales. My car has the Bose heavy sound system and the heavier heated seats. This was done at 1/8 of a fuel tank.

Later on with the CGT leather seats, Porsche OEM Li-Ion battery, engine carpet cover removed, and my heavier chinese knock-off Turbo twist wheels it went down to 2,871 lbs on impound at NASA-TT (would be 2,853 on the OZ Allegeritta 18x8/18x9 wheels).

I haven't placed it on scales recently, but stock seats went back in (+59 lbs), a lighter suspension went in, and a much lighter exhaust system went in. The OZ are 18 lbs lighter than the chinese wheels, so right now it should be in the 2,870-2,880 lbs with 1/8 of a fuel tank.

Interseries Coxster with 1/8 of a fuel tank, sits around 2,775 lbs, just 100 lbs less than my Coxster, but I can still dump the sofa seats, install a lighter muffler, remove the Bose sound system and leave just the base radio, this would leave it at Interseries weight.

The 2013 is 66 lbs lighter than my 07 Cayman S, and 18" wheels would save another 8 lbs (the 2013 comes with mandatory 19"). I can get the 2013 down to 2,700 lbs (75 lbs lighter than an interseries), with my current minor modifications, plus light seats and muffler.

2,700 lbs on a perfectly street legal car with full interior, radio, A/C, all the amenities, enough fuel for 3 laps. PCCB would make it even lighter, LWFW too, and there are plenty of OEM Motorsports parts to work on making it lighter.

At 2,700 lbs, I still have 175 lbs to add to reach the target weight. Weight adders: 3rd radiator, trans cooler, rollbar, harnesses, LSD, bigger front/rear rotors, bigger calipers, with 100 lbs to spare by adding the 3.8 engine and I doubt it is that much heavier than the 3.4.

Perfectly street legal 2013 Cayman + 3.8 X51 991, lighter than an Interseries, and 400 lbs lighter than a 4.0RS is quite easy, affordable to build, and affordable to keep running.

Last edited by NJ-GT; 08-13-2013 at 10:18 AM.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:00 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
interseries is 2880?
my 6gt striker was 2650
I think u should cheat and get some cf doors
racing is cheating
no cheat no win
look at lance.
just don't get caught.
I'm practicing my cheating skills. race craft is over rated
Interseries must hit 2,975 lbs on minimum weight. Remove driver, leave little fuel and it would be in the 2,750-2,775 lbs range with no fuel.

The Interseries is just 100 lbs heavier than your RIP stripper. The 3.4 DFI 9A1 is pretty strong on the mid-range, similar torque to the 996 GT3 engine, but it lacks the top-end of the GT3. However, the Interseries have a complete Aero package that help a lot.

For cheating, contact Hannibal and Trakcar, they are experts.

Quick Reply: Fiat out. Aero Beetle in.