Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Any tips for Watkins Glen?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 11:57 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
My favorite track. I will be there for 8 straight days coaching from May 27 through June 2.
VR, kick Certz's a$$ and charge him double.
Old 05-18-2013, 01:29 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Great thread. Thanks for all the tips. Trip should be a blast.
Old 05-18-2013, 01:40 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nizer
This video does a good job of showing line and commitment:

Watkins Glen PCA 2012 Sprint 2 - YouTube

I just watched this video. WTF? The runoff around the entire track is a blue wall? And I thought RA was a car muncher. Maybe it's a good thing I couldn't get the rumblebee up there after all.

Glad I put full coverage on the rental race car

Video was excellent. Thanks for posting. The lines make sense and the track seems to have a nice flow.
Old 05-18-2013, 02:16 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 291 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by deputydog95
Originally Posted by Nizer
This video does a good job of showing line and commitment:

Watkins Glen PCA 2012 Sprint 2 - YouTube

I just watched this video. WTF? The runoff around the entire track is a blue wall? And I thought RA was a car muncher. Maybe it's a good thing I couldn't get the rumblebee up there after all.

Video was excellent. Thanks for posting. The lines make sense and the track seems to have a nice flow.
After two days u will have nightmares of blue Armco
Old 05-18-2013, 02:58 PM
Qwickrick
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

There is good run off at T1, T5A (bus stop), some at T7, good at T8 and T10. There is no "plan B" in the esses.
Old 05-18-2013, 03:01 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Looks as viscious at the esses were at COTA. No forgiveness there either.
Old 05-18-2013, 07:51 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

since I mentioned the proline and the pro-speed to do the proline into the buss stop, I would also like to point out that if you over cook it as I have done a few time taking a late pass, do not attempt to shove it in there at that speed sideways - it won't work out well

you can go straight through the bus stop without stopping to take on passengers - just take the pass straight through, wave at the flagger and continue on - I usually stop in to pit lane if it is early in the day to acknowledge my mistake - once the flagger knows you they understand you did the correct thing - shoving it in late at that speed is the wrong thing to do if you are not lined up properly

the bus stop isn't usually a place for incidents but there is a lot of action as the fast cars close unbelievably fast on the less fast cars and there is dust flying from the pro line cars and a lot of curb hoping by the fast cars so it is a busy place for the flagger - so taking the straight line through is ok to do if you have to in an emergency

Last edited by 997gt3north; 05-20-2013 at 12:23 PM.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:23 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 916 Posts

And you thought I was kidding about the blue bushes.

It's a big boy track. You will love it.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:30 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,415 Likes on 756 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
VR, kick Certz's a$$ and charge him double.
LMAO!!!

Don't be a girly man. If you are looking at/seeing blue stuff, your eyes are way in the wrong place. Nearly every part of this track is on camber. The corners are very easy on cars. Be patient, learn it patiently, and you will only see the blue stuff in videos...
Old 05-19-2013, 12:33 AM
luv2race
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 212 Posts

A couple of my fondest memories of the Glen.

I once attended a Grand Am Race there and it was pouring, we sat at the top of the esses and watched the DP cars come up the esses two abreast sliding in unison kicking up 25 foot rooster tails. I realized how special these drivers are and how unskilled I am.

Randy Probst showed up during a DE event and was kind enough to take a few of us out in our cars to show us the line he felt worked best with our cars.....strangely I followed his every instruction yet my stupid car just wouldn't go as fast for me as it did for him.

I'm driving my 07 GT3 and passing a few people, feeling pretty good about myself and all of a sudden this old guy with an open face helmet and a huge smile on his face shows up in my mirror out of nowhere and he promptly passes me inside the last turn entering the front straight, his brand new turbo is in a 4 wheel drift. It was during lunch that I got a chance to meet the old guy with a big smile......Hurley Haywood.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:05 AM
Qwickrick
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

you can go straight through the buss stop without stopping to take on passengers - just take the pass straight through, wave at the flagger and continue on - I usually stop in to pit lane if it is early in the day to acknowledge my mistake - once the flagger knows you they understand you did the correct thing and you everything is fine
You really have to stop and wait for the flagger to wave you on. You can't just wave at the flagger and continue on or you will be black flagged.

Your driving the Glen tips were excellent
Old 05-19-2013, 10:11 AM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Qwickrick
You really have to stop and wait for the flagger to wave you on. You can't just wave at the flagger and continue on or you will be black flagged.
sorry, you of course wait for the flagger - just meant that if you can't make the turn don't force it - there is room to bail safely - meant to imply that it doesn't always count as a 4 wheel off where you go into the pit and explain what happened - absolutely wait for the flagger to wave you on - but it isn't the safest place to hang out as cars are approaching you at 150mph

it reminds me of another thing as I have seen it a few times and I used it once myself - if you have a mechanical etc, and you have just finished the bus stop, you do not have to go down into the boot section - it is preferable to take the cut through Nascar section - this helps everyone as the boot section is the farthest for the tow truck to go and they may not have to close the session if you are safely parked in the Nascar straight
Old 05-19-2013, 06:35 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

do not let a video of under 2 min lap done by a very good driver define how you will drive it on your 1st session. WGI can be very dangerous track if you do stupid stuff there.

watch out all concrete patches. if it is a cold day and concrete is wet - be careful and avoid it. try to find video of a wet line at WGI to know where people go in the rain. in my car on NT01 I could not get it grip properly on concrete even on a warm dry day so I always had at least one side on the asphalt.
proper aero like on a cup car there helps a lot so if you will be in a rented e30 car just pay extra attention. it is easy to misjudge proper entry point into esses and it makes car go very close to right wall there and it is where you upshift to 5th, so be careful there, I had a conversation about this stuff before here - like on a video shown here, above, that line of how that cup car enters esses - in my car it cannot be done as car slides on both axels way too close to the right wall when I tried to go flat out doing that exact early entry line, so only way to fix that was to lift very slightly after you depart from right curb side to increase front grip and correct car position a bit to go a bit more to the left before esses, so, watch out for that part or better ask somebody who knows that track a lot to guide you couple of times, sit on his tail and try it all out yourself.
key of going flat out over esses safely is to feel very well how your car slides there at 100mph+ so if you not confident 100% - do not listen what anybody else says and just drive safe there staying where your own comfort level is.

Last edited by utkinpol; 05-19-2013 at 07:47 PM.
Old 05-19-2013, 10:09 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Respect the esses and turn one!
Old 05-19-2013, 11:20 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,150 Likes on 568 Posts

Ton of great tips there, but just to add a few things that were helpful to me when I drove WGI for the first couple of times. Sorry if some of that is too basic.

1. Turns are very banked, so you can take them much faster than it seems. Most brake way too much there first few sessions. Work it up and brake progressively less and less. You will be amazed by how fast you can corner there.

2. If you get in too hot or have other issues at an area with a paved run off, usually the best way to handle it is to act as if the run-off is a continuation of the track, and complete the turn. The run offs may not be big enough for you to fully stop before the baby blues if you just ditch it. In esses, just do not do anything abrupt. All accidents that I saw were because someone lifted or jerked the weel or something like that. IMHO, esses cause more accidents by scaring people into doing something stupid than by being difficult. In general the track is not that bad - Mosport before modifications definitely was more dangerous.

3. Turn 6 has more traction closer to the inside, so no need to enter very wide

4. In toe (T7) trail-brake and plan to do rotation on braking. Going uphill puts a lot of weight on the rear, which cuts rotation once you get on the trottle. Try to get to the full throttle as soon as possible there, it's extremely uphill.

5. Because of banking, there is a bit more Gs than on other tracks. Tighten the belts as much as you can. But if your seat is not perfect, you may experience back strain or even sore neck. Have ibuprofen or something like that just in case.

6. If they run the Nascar configuration, try not to fall asleep - it gets boring quickly

Quick Reply: Any tips for Watkins Glen?