Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Removing body panels - looking for instructions

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 03:34 AM
Tracky
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by tone96
where are you in sf might be able to show you. what color are you wrapping it?
I'm in Fremont. I'm going with gloss white. I'll post here if I run into problems.

Originally Posted by Ur20v
tone96

Share some tips and if you help Damage take lots of photos!

This is very much a black art in Oz and you would think the installers here strip you car of every last bolts and panel then dip in gold for the prices they want to charge also they only do the obvious/ normal kit and won't do the whole car!!??
No kidding. I know most places won't take everything apart. Some don't even take off the bumper. It all depends on how large your panel gaps are and if you can squeeze the vinyl into it.

I need to get the appropriate tools this weekend too. Don't have a torx set and the smaller size sockets (5&8mm).
Old 05-24-2013, 02:12 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

These articles may help with your project. Can't wait for pics when done:

Front Bumper removal:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...heel_Liner.htm

Door Handles if needed:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...nd_Handles.htm
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 05-24-2013, 02:28 PM
Tracky
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
These articles may help with your project. Can't wait for pics when done:

Front Bumper removal:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...heel_Liner.htm

Door Handles if needed:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...nd_Handles.htm

Wow thanks. Regarding the door handles:
  • Is the door panel itself a pull/tug process? No screws? On other cars, there might a screw or two somewhere and the rest is secured with plastic fasteners that just pop off when you pull the panel outwards.
  • Also when the door handle assembly comes off, does it come off with that rubber seal around it too?
Old 05-24-2013, 08:50 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Here's a great door panel step-by-step (the second part pertains to 997)
Door Panel Removal

Believe it does

Mark/Pelican Parts
Old 05-25-2013, 06:35 PM
Tracky
Rennlist Member

Hmm I'm stuck trying to remove rear bumper. There appears to be another Torx screw between the rear quarter panel and the bumper near the sharp corner of the tail lights. It's circled in my photo below. It's impossible to gain access to from underneath or even in the wheel well. The blue masking tape pointer is pointing to the other torx screw I barely managed to get access to through the wheel well. Anyone have ideas? It looks like wheel removal would be necessary or jacking the car up pretty darn high. Am I missing something here?

So far I've removed the 4 on top of the bumper, the 2 at the bottom on each side, and the 1 that's accessible from the wheel well (shown with blue masking tape in the pic). Is the one I circled the last one left? Could this be an extra one because mine is the euro/cup bumper?

I also found an old Word doc that Sharky posted about removing the bumper, but it doesn't mention this particular one I found. Also I bolded a sentence where it states there are 3 underneath. I only found 2 underneath that are close to the tires.

Step 1 - Remove bumper cover
Remove left and right tail lights - unscrew one large Philips head each side after opening deck rear deck-lid. Then unplug connector and remove lights. Unscrew T30 plastic screw and remove retaining plug. Unscrew four T30 Torx between lights on top of rear bumper cover. On either side in the upper fender well close to rear tires remove two T30 screws (one each side). Underneath car, there are three T30s on each side that need to be removed. Then carefully pull either side from front corner to pull bumper cover out from clips on the chassis. No you are ready to pull the bumper off. It's a good idea to use two people for this procedure as there is a rear license plate light on the inside of the bumper cover that needs to be disconnected at the same time. Now the bumper cover is off.

Old 05-25-2013, 10:47 PM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

Either jack it way up or remove the tire. I remember it being pretty easy to do with the tire off. Good luck. If I was in your part of the world I'd come help.
Old 05-27-2013, 03:12 AM
Tracky
Rennlist Member

Did roof and hood. I was SUPER careful and I still manage to lose the 2 nuts for the hood crest. GRR! Still haven't been able to retrieve it yet.

Back windshield. Taping it off and so I can slice above the tape.

sliced & tucked

Sunroof -untrimmed

All done

since I couldn't do the rear bumper I tried the rear brake light. ****ed up the cut on the LED bar embeded in the panel. Plus the stupid thing was so curved and underneath was recessed a lot.

I'll probably redo tomorrow and make a centerline cut in the light bar to squeeze the vinyl over it instead of wrapping over and force fitting the curvature.
Old 05-27-2013, 03:29 AM
DC640
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that is a lot of tedious work!!! You have patience...
Old 05-29-2013, 02:03 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Awesome job! That can't be easy
Old 06-18-2013, 06:50 PM
Tracky
Rennlist Member

All done for now. Left the wing, door handles, and top roof rails unwrapped. The door handle was impossible to do without taking it off the door. Maybe some day when I have the energy I'll do a proper job on them. Right now the silver accents look ok. Also got new cup car front lip. SO low..I already scraped it trying to reverse into my driveway.

Still need to re-attach hood crest. Lost one of the nuts somewhere in the hood. I wonder if I can find a replacement at home depot or something.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:15 PM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

Looks awesome. Did a good job.

Quick Reply: Removing body panels - looking for instructions