Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 10:23 PM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 918 Spyder First Drive Review in C&D

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t-drive-review

At the end of the article, Walter Rohrl predicts a 'Ring time as fast as 6:55!
Old 05-15-2013, 12:05 AM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Thanks for sharing
Old 05-15-2013, 12:21 AM
Buddhamonk
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

Old 05-15-2013, 09:10 AM
BartN (TX)
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts

Enjoyed the article and think the car is groundbreaking but kind of went 'ehh' when reading this part "....and faultless operation that doesn’t depend on a skilled driver...."
Old 05-15-2013, 09:45 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Did everyone get this? Got this in my inbox:

Dear Trakcar,

In the next few days you will receive a mailing with the latest information on the sports car of the future, the Porsche 918 Spyder.
This package will provide you with all of the inspiration necessary to make you want to turn your automotive dreams into reality. And we have a big year planned as the 918 Spyder moves much closer to production.
One of the next important stages of our product development is to ensure we have the personnel available to provide the highest levels of positive, personal interaction, while continuing to build your anticipation of owning and driving the 918 Spyder.

With this in mind, I would like to introduce your personal 918 Client Relationship Manager, Mr. Daniel Eastman.
Daniel has been deeply involved in motorsports for the past 25 years as a professional racer and driving instructor for the Porsche Sport Driving School. He will be a tremendous asset to helping you become more familiar with the 918 Spyder.

Please feel free to contact Daniel directly if you have any questions regarding the VIP program or the 918 Spyder. He can be contacted on his office phone at (770) xxx-xxxx, his cell phone at (404) xxx-xxxx or his email at daniel@porsche.
In addition, since there will be extensive exciting developments regarding the 918 Spyder this year, we would like to make sure you are among the first to know about any new details through the exclusive 918 Spyder iPad app, events and direct mail.
Once you have had the opportunity to review the materials you will receive in the coming days, please reach out to Daniel so we can continue to keep you connected to the next Porsche super car.

Regards,

Andre Oosthuizen
Vice President Marketing
Porsche Cars North America

© 2013 Porsche Cars North America. Legal notice. Privacy policy.
www.porscheusa.com
I'm short roughly $850K but still nice that they thought of me. Must be getting desperate.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:50 AM
BartN (TX)
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts

Uh, no, I DEFINITELY wouldn't be on their list.

Maybe you should play along and score a test drive.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:52 AM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Did everyone get this? Got this in my inbox:

I'm short roughly $850K but still nice that they thought of me. Must be getting desperate.
They are not desperate, just pushing hard to market the car,they have sold 50% of the planned production slots so far, I suspect that they will sell all of them, you and I maybe short on cash but they will find 918 people world wide has the dough....
Old 05-15-2013, 10:56 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Just kidding, just that they contact me. I've never even received ANY promotional stuff from Porsche before. Just recalls / manual updates.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:32 AM
jackb911
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 55 Posts

Very interesting video, appreciate the post.

I have to say that I'm with Chris 110% on losing the batteries. I assume the hybrid thing is de rigueur these days to placate the politicians and environmentalists. But who buys a car like this to help "save the planet"??
Old 05-15-2013, 12:04 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Two thumbs up for Chris Harris on doing good service to Porsche and Porschephile -- two camps seemingly in diametric opposition on many topics these days. Hopefully we'll all be one, happy family again some day.

A nobbled 90 mph test donkey for the monkey, but still quite a thrilling first look at the awesome overdose that is the 918 and thankfully in a plain coat of (is that matt?) black. Quite a striking image on the road, and the tank-slapper oversteer from Harris is worth a chuckle, but what about this car is a Porsche? I can't see it. As Harris notes, coming last to market with the slowest, lowest horsepower "hyper" car isn't going to be excused by "Porsche never concerns itself with having the most horsepower." Well, if not horsepower and torque, what the hell is going to move all those batteries around?

As for the visuals, the cabin appears cramped and fussy. Harris is by his own admission, a midget, yet he comments the driving position is awkward and he appears to be uncomfortable behind the wheel.

Porsche seems to have doubled down on LED headlights (too early, by half, so I think that's profit margin, not engineering) and strange to see the 918 now looking like an R8. You heard it here first. Well, no you didn't, you just have to be certain all this R&D will go directly to Audi's boffins.

Porsche must know they can sell these like hot cakes in a dinosaur fuel model without the spitzensparken, so I guess we hold position and wait for the folks who buy this ... um ... science fair experiment, help Porsche pay the bills and reabsorb the costs of building those 55 onboard computers in the car, then maybe we get the version worth driving. Presumably they'll sell all 918 to CRiME country buyers and a few *** clown US dealers will try to hoard one or two to create artificial scarcity.

Here's hoping they quickly move to announce a gas engine variant, but I'm not holding my breath. I'm afraid Porsche will see a "conventional" derivative of the 918 as an admission of "failing" with the hybrid. Of course, they need only look at their other Hybrid cars to see that horse is already out of the barn. Sorry. Just my opinion. I'm sure owners of the Porsche hybrids, including this 918 thing, will love the things. I think they're ludicrous. Hopefully it all comes full circle and Porsche decides to build the 991 RS to fulfill the hopes and dreams of Porsche drivers.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:10 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

I really enjoyed the monkey's vid but then again I almost always do.

About the car, well, I can't think of any good reason why one would spend that kind of money when he can still buy the best sport car ever made with what? 1/3 of it? Something like that.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:39 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,727 Likes on 914 Posts

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
....when he can still buy the best sport car ever made with what? 1/3 of it?
I'll bite. Let's have it.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:41 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the carrera gt
Old 05-15-2013, 12:57 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,727 Likes on 914 Posts

Ah yes. I would've said RS 4.0, ex the center-locks. CGT an epic car and sounds like nothing else but I've heard mixed ownership experiences.
Old 05-15-2013, 01:01 PM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
I really enjoyed the monkey's vid but then again I almost always do.

About the car, well, I can't think of any good reason why one would spend that kind of money when he can still buy the best sport car ever made with what? 1/3 of it? Something like that.
If youre talking about the C-GT..Im with you..same of course applies to the F-40..

Quick Reply: 918 Spyder First Drive Review in C&D