Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Excellence Magazine Article (Harder then Hardcore)

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 09:01 PM
James-GMG
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 114 Likes on 68 Posts

The car in this article is the same one that is now at Orbit. When this test drive was done and Ian was out visiting us last year, the car was running 100% without any issues. I personally drove it at Willow Springs myself.
After the test day, the owner wanted us to put some more miles on the car and we did and it was at the time we had an oil pump failure. The engine did not "blow up" OP, as we shut it down and did our investigation.
We rebuilt it and the car was running when the owner decided he wanted the car back as it was certainly here at the shop much longer than anyone anticipated. In the meantime we were building the Orange 4.0 RS and in the end of that build we discovered that the issues with these builds and the oil pump failures were due to the same harmonic issues that the stock Porsche engines were experiencing and we decided to put an upgraded billet oil pump into the engine and it has proven so far to be the resolution we were looking for.
Now back to the Grey car........as I said, when the car was shipped, it was running. 2 weeks later when it arrived at Orbit, it was started by Roger and it smoked. He quickly shut it down and he called me and we spoke about the sequence of events with this RS as well as the fact that we had the other GMG 4.0 build running on the road with its owner with no problems.
At this point I informed Rodger of our fix to the 4.0 and we wanted him to pull the motor and ship it to GMG on my dime.
Understandibly so, the car owner was so frustrated at this point, he just wanted his car fixed and he wanted to go to the factory 4.0 specs. I told him we had the fix but he was adamant about going factory after all the delays and I told him I will make it right. So Rodger and I worked it out and I am taking care of him and sending him factory 4.0 parts to get his car back on the road. The parts cost me $25K+ but I felt it was the right thing to do.

In the end, there is no question we could have done things better during this process but we did find a resolution and we didn't give up on the customer. I have been with him the entire process and took his calls 24/7 and always let him know that I will take care of him.......this is what we are doing now.

If anyone has any other questions, feel free to contact me directly at GMG or my email at james@gmgracing.com

James F. Sofronas | President & Owner
Global Motorsports Group ™
E: james@gmgracing.com
P: +1 (714) 432-1582
F: +1 (714) 432-1590
A: 3210 South Shannon Street, Santa Ana, California 92704
W: gmgracing.com
Old 05-02-2013, 09:09 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 05-02-2013, 10:21 PM
m42racer
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Typical in situations like this, when you are out ahead of the competition you will be the first to encounter the problems.

I have personally seen the Oil pump and the parts that actually failed. I was shocked at the voilence that causes this to happen.

Luckily, there are people involved here that know what they see, understand what is gong on and can fix such problems.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:11 AM
RSRanger
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by m42racer
Typical in situations like this, when you are out ahead of the competition you will be the first to encounter the problems...
Oh really? Believe you'd get a challenge on that comment.

Questions:
Is your 4.0 a strict race car or a track/street car? Wish to care and share details of your build? Bore & stroke or just bore?
Who IN GMG is/are the engine builders? Who built the motor?
Believe you made a comment that you've seen oil pumps break often?

So the two RS's did so great then with such ultimate builds why no dyno graphs to illustrate? One spends multi-bucks to go from pt. A to pt. B, hell I want to know and quantify the change.

Oh and racer I'm not talking internet 4th and 5th layer hear say.
I know the owner and we're colleagues in same specialty and we speak often.
I'd say the owner is a good source unless he's been lied to.
So are you calling me a bull$h!tter.

Ranger
Old 05-03-2013, 01:23 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Bam! Go Ranger....

FYI Im bored and such at an airport with 5 H&R flight delay...
Old 05-03-2013, 02:25 AM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Knowing Rodger and the caliber of work at his facility, I'm trusting that while it is down the gearbox is being torn down and being given the once over. An engine failure of this nature can do nasty things to a transmission and I would hate to wake up two month from now and read about how this car is down again because a gear ate itself. Engine failures are very rarely without gearbox consequences and that is far too often overlooked when the focus becomes on the failed power plant. Thank goodness the boys at Orbit know their way around a gearbox pretty much as well as they know their way around an engine.
Old 05-03-2013, 03:25 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,667 Likes on 2,331 Posts

never mind me.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:46 PM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 393 Likes on 227 Posts

It sounds to me like GMG is doing the right thing.

But I've gotta ask you guys doing these conversions- why?? It would seem to me that with all the potential (or real) aggravation and expense you'd just get a factory 4.0. While the grey car sounds like a fantastic track car (if it had some seats) it would seem to be pure PITA poseur overkill for the street. And if you are tracking the car- is it competitive in club racing? It seems to be an awful lot of money to spend just to win a DE event. Maybe I'm overestimating the costs......or I'm just too poor to understand....so please enlighten me.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:12 PM
ShootingStar
Racer

Originally Posted by George from MD

But I've gotta ask you guys doing these conversions- why?? It would seem to me that with all the potential (or real) aggravation and expense you'd just get a factory 4.0. While the grey car sounds like a fantastic track car (if it had some seats) it would seem to be pure PITA poseur overkill for the street. And if you are tracking the car- is it competitive in club racing? It seems to be an awful lot of money to spend just to win a DE event. Maybe I'm overestimating the costs......or I'm just too poor to understand....so please enlighten me.
Why not?

His car, he can do what he wants with it. If putting a 4.0L in the GT3RS makes him happy, all that matters.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:07 PM
RSRanger
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by George from MD

George from MD sorry but you got it all wrong.
PM me if you wish.

Ranger (LRRP)
Old 05-03-2013, 03:05 PM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 393 Likes on 227 Posts

PM sent thanks.

His car, he can do what he wants with it. If putting a 4.0L in the GT3RS makes him happy, all that matters.
I understand it's his car and I'm not being critical of the decision to upgrade I do it too It just sounds to me like waiting months on a car that isn't running after spending a small fortune wouldn't make one too happy.
Old 05-03-2013, 03:22 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by RSRanger
Oh really? Believe you'd get a challenge on that comment.

Questions:
Is your 4.0 a strict race car or a track/street car? Wish to care and share details of your build? Bore & stroke or just bore?
Who IN GMG is/are the engine builders? Who built the motor?
Believe you made a comment that you've seen oil pumps break often?

So the two RS's did so great then with such ultimate builds why no dyno graphs to illustrate? One spends multi-bucks to go from pt. A to pt. B, hell I want to know and quantify the change.

Oh and racer I'm not talking internet 4th and 5th layer hear say.
I know the owner and we're colleagues in same specialty and we speak often.
I'd say the owner is a good source unless he's been lied to.
So are you calling me a bull$h!tter.

Ranger
Oh comeeee oooon. I built a 4 liter before either of you, with my own hands. Does this make me an expert too?
Old 05-03-2013, 03:27 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Serge,

With all due respect, your build was a bore build, and I'm not taking your credit there, just saying that the stroker motor involves a lot of different things, to make it work properly.
Ranger's car is the first 4.2 I have seen with my own eyes, dynoed and driven at the track so far. Street car wise of course.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:25 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

I don't need any credit. The people who pioneer the components to make these builds happen don't spend time on forums - some don't even have a website.

I'm just blown away by that some feel entitled to be internet experts on something they paid someone to do. It's one thing to offer advice, and a whole nother to try to discredit someone or pursue a crusade to just be "right."
Old 05-03-2013, 05:31 PM
RSRanger
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Serge944
I don't need any credit. The people who pioneer the components to make these builds happen don't spend time on forums - some don't even have a website.

I'm just blown away by that some feel entitled to be internet experts on something they paid someone to do. It's one thing to offer advice, and a whole nother to try to discredit someone or pursue a crusade to just be "right."
Allow me to clarify my post since I believe you are referring to me.
What I stated was NOT about me nor for that matter Champion Motorsport.
The challenge I referred to would be from others who came before to under take the endeavor of such builds. Well before my car and others in Europe.
I think Alex at Sharkwerks would have a say, been making a very good product many times over.
GMG's comment states that since they are "leaders of the competition",
that's when I responded, "oh really?"
So I say again, I was NOT referring to myself or Champion!
As for me, I'm just a cardiovascular interventional radiologist (a dumb a$$) who doesn't pretend to know much about cars but I do know right from wrong in what this thread has been addressing.

Sir.
Ranger

Quick Reply: Excellence Magazine Article (Harder then Hardcore)