Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Excellence Magazine Article (Harder then Hardcore)

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 11:05 AM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

this isn't the car in the GMG link a few posts down is it?
Old 05-02-2013, 11:54 AM
a_Y
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts

But the car in the excellence article is a grey one and not the orange one.. I thought the orange one was the one that had an engine failure? Or was it this grey one that failed?
Old 05-02-2013, 12:10 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow -- after reading the article I thought it was buttoned up -- surprised to hear that it is still down
Old 05-02-2013, 01:28 PM
GT3.2
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

My excellence subscription expired as soon as Pete Stout left as editor.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:54 PM
m42racer
Three Wheelin'

I read with interest the post here and on the other thread about this engine/car.

I have a 4.0L engine built by the same person, who happens to be now a good friend of mine. I'm not coming to his aid here, he can handle anything flung his way on his own. His experience, history and knowledge speaks for itself.

My concern is the absolute "misssing" facts related to this engine in the posts. The orginal poster inflicts the sword to wound the people involved without stating any facts of how, why etc. What was the reason? One can only guess its to harm the reputation of GMG and who ever esle is involved. The location of this person raises eyebrows of connection to another Porsche aftermarket shop, but I stop there before I do the same as he has by saying something without facts.

I have seen for myself the exact failure, the parts that failed and have been told why. I was very concerned about this too, as I did not want this failure to be repeated in my engine. Once explained I understood the problem and feel comfortable about my engine and its continued life.

Porsche has released a tech memo regarding the same problem. I guess those involved in these posts are not aware of this memo or choose not to include it as it diminshes their intent to harm.

Before you post things that have consequences, please check the facts, reasons and what exactly failed. Do not hide behind a "avator" say damaging things without having the courage and decency to say what you really mean and the reasons for it.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:02 PM
Matrog
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Thumbs down I'm calling B.S. on this thread

I was at Willow Springs on 11/29/12. It was my first outing w/ GMG (which rented the track). I personally saw the 4.0 conversion car and actually I met Ian. He was kind enough to take the photo that now serves as my Avatar to the left of this post.

The battleship grey car was functional; Ian drove it and did his photo shoot that day.

So, perhaps there are two such vehicles and one imploded. But, I can tell you w/ certainty the car in the article was fully functional on 11/29/12.

All the best,
Matthew

P.S., Of course, maybe it blew-up the next day. I wouldn't know. But, how would Ian ?
Attached Images   

Last edited by Matrog; 05-02-2013 at 04:36 PM. Reason: additional thoughts
Old 05-02-2013, 03:02 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by m42racer
I have seen for myself the exact failure, the parts that failed and have been told why. I was very concerned about this too, as I did not want this failure to be repeated in my engine. Once explained I understood the problem and feel comfortable about my engine and its continued life.

Porsche has released a tech memo regarding the same problem.
not trying to stir the pot any more than it has been stirred but can you share the basics of what failed and/or the details of the Porsche memo? I have a 4.0 build under way and want to know if I addressed what you are talking about as now would be the time to take action my end if not...
Old 05-02-2013, 03:16 PM
mklaskin
Drifting

Could it be that the car was running well when the article was written? Ian Kuah has a good reputation as a car journo...

No dog in this fight, but it seems to me that with shops like Sharkwerks and Champion successfully completing these types of conversions, the competition would be too tough for GMG to NOT to do it right.

Definitely more to this story.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:06 PM
Jamie_GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by PJS996GT3
not trying to stir the pot any more than it has been stirred but can you share the basics of what failed and/or the details of the Porsche memo? I have a 4.0 build under way and want to know if I addressed what you are talking about as now would be the time to take action my end if not...
Low RPM harmonics from the longer stroke and a lightened single mass flywheel. Since you have a 76.4mm stock crank shouldn't effect you as much. It's more for those with longer strokes. I don't think the all bore 4.0's have much to be concerned about.

An appropriately sized harmonic dampener is in the works to deal with the low speed harmonic. Only shows up on street cars, race cars don't operate very much at 2500-3500 RPM's...
Old 05-02-2013, 04:37 PM
RSRanger
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Spot on Jamie.

Ranger
Old 05-02-2013, 05:13 PM
m42racer
Three Wheelin'

This problem exists on all GT3 engines. Many stock 3.6L have had Flywheels, Crank Pulleys and Cam Control units come loose so to think its just long stroke engines is not altogether true. I guess the problem is accentuated on the longer stroke engines as the masses are increased.

As for the "truth" I have always maintained going to the source to do some investigation of my own first before I open my mouth and make myself look like an idiot.

Shame some here do not subscribe to the same theory and call the builder and ask. Maybe then they would understand some of the hidden issues we lay people have no idea about, that happen in the operation of engines.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:34 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Matrog

I was at Willow Springs on 11/29/12. It was my first outing w/ GMG (which rented the track). I personally saw the 4.0 conversion car and actually I met Ian. He was kind enough to take the photo that now serves as my Avatar to the left of this post.

The battleship grey car was functional; Ian drove it and did his photo shoot that day.

So, perhaps there are two such vehicles and one imploded. But, I can tell you w/ certainty the car in the article was fully functional on 11/29/12.

All the best,
Matthew

P.S., Of course, maybe it blew-up the next day. I wouldn't know. But, how would Ian ?
Same car, never made to Florida running.... owner never took delivery of the car running.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:05 PM
Jamie_GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RSRanger
Spot on Jamie.

Ranger
Originally Posted by m42racer
This problem exists on all GT3 engines. Many stock 3.6L have had Flywheels, Crank Pulleys and Cam Control units come loose so to think its just long stroke engines is not altogether true. I guess the problem is accentuated on the longer stroke engines as the masses are increased.

As for the "truth" I have always maintained going to the source to do some investigation of my own first before I open my mouth and make myself look like an idiot.

Shame some here do not subscribe to the same theory and call the builder and ask. Maybe then they would understand some of the hidden issues we lay people have no idea about, that happen in the operation of engines.
Agreed and after talking to the builder he's said similar that the all bore will benefit from the dampener as well. It's a matter of magnitude, longer stroke creates a greater moment on the crank, also more power creates different harmonics...
I'll post more later on th specific failures and details at the builders request...

PJ I'll get you info in the dampener as well as the cams...
Old 05-02-2013, 08:13 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jamie_GT3
Low RPM harmonics from the longer stroke and a lightened single mass flywheel. Since you have a 76.4mm stock crank shouldn't effect you as much. It's more for those with longer strokes. I don't think the all bore 4.0's have much to be concerned about.

An appropriately sized harmonic dampener is in the works to deal with the low speed harmonic. Only shows up on street cars, race cars don't operate very much at 2500-3500 RPM's...
Originally Posted by Jamie_GT3
Agreed and after talking to the builder he's said similar that the all bore will benefit from the dampener as well. It's a matter of magnitude, longer stroke creates a greater moment on the crank, also more power creates different harmonics...
I'll post more later on th specific failures and details at the builders request...

PJ I'll get you info in the dampener as well as the cams...
Thank you Jamie
Old 05-02-2013, 08:36 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott997
The story in Excellence should be about a failed 4.0 build. A car that has been in pieces with the engine out because it blew after 100 miles. Imagine my surprise to see the story June 2013 when The car hasn't had a motor for more then a year. Where did this story come from? Who pushed it? How did it get by? I will no longer read excellence.

This thread must focus on the misinformation of the Excellence Article or surely it will be removed.
Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
The owner of the car is a super nice guy and I hope for him that after a long time he gets a true, great running 4.0.

He has the patience of a saint for sure.
Lots has to go wrong for a car to be gone for 18 months but I will let the owner explain, but I think he's not on forums.

The car is in good hands now at Orbit here, back home in Palm Beach and the final result will be like in the magazine.
Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I have not spoken to the owner the last few months, I have spoken to James about it and I can see what I see when I visit Orbit; The car is still there and I see who has their hands in the engine now.
Originally Posted by Matrog

So are we talking about different cars, or has the subject car lost more than one motor - between which the owner provided it to a magazine journalist to sing GMG's praises? I'm confused.

Quick Reply: Excellence Magazine Article (Harder then Hardcore)