Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Another 997.2 recall? - Air intake

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 07:12 PM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 105 Likes on 59 Posts

Anyone know if this also effects non RS cars? TIA.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:34 AM
Atlas911TT
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sunnyr
no it does not from what I know.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:11 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 377 Likes on 193 Posts

No it doesn't affect GT3s.

Update: had my recall done and apparently I was THAT CLOSE to disaster. The flap inside my intake plenum had started developing play along the axis of rotation... in time that thing would've most certainly shaked itself apart.

Before this fix I've always had a bit of throttle hesitation at WOT... basically the engine pulls and pulls from 3k on, but gets a momentary flat spot around 4-5krpm. I've assumed it was my aftermarket headers/side muffler delete at odds with the ECU tune. With the replacement intake plenum the problem's gone entirely. I went out last weekend and did nearly a dozen WOT pulls just to be sure, and now I know that previous "flat spot" was actually my failing intake!!

Another datapoint for those of you who're waiting for replacements. This $hit's real.
Old 07-03-2013, 02:41 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 939 Likes on 544 Posts

Originally Posted by CRex
No it doesn't affect GT3s.

Update: had my recall done and apparently I was THAT CLOSE to disaster. The flap inside my intake plenum had started developing play along the axis of rotation... in time that thing would've most certainly shaked itself apart.

Before this fix I've always had a bit of throttle hesitation at WOT... basically the engine pulls and pulls from 3k on, but gets a momentary flat spot around 4-5krpm. I've assumed it was my aftermarket headers/side muffler delete at odds with the ECU tune. With the replacement intake plenum the problem's gone entirely. I went out last weekend and did nearly a dozen WOT pulls just to be sure, and now I know that previous "flat spot" was actually my failing intake!!

Another datapoint for those of you who're waiting for replacements. This $hit's real.
Dang! Close call.
I'm having the recall done with the cam actuators and PP Kaboom work.
Old 07-05-2013, 05:23 PM
Medicopter
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Getting this recall done as I write. RS is still on the lift and I hope all goes well.
Old 07-06-2013, 01:33 PM
Medicopter
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Yay my baby made it safely out of surgery and everything went well It took the whole day but it was worth it!
Old 07-23-2014, 09:06 PM
RedRSA
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sunnyr
Originally Posted by Atlas911TT
no it does not from what I know.
Reviving thread due to new questions and concerns.

1. For anyone that has factual Porsche info or has physically inspected them side-by-side, what is the specific difference between the 997.2 GT3 intake (ending in 90) and the RS intake (ending in 91/94)? Both are metal, and both are twin flap, one large and one small.

2. The bottom line, is there anything inherently less robust in the RS intake design, or is it a matter of the RS resonance harmonics or other characteristic that is shaking them apart on the RS but not the GT3?

Important to understand more completely before reusing the intake or making the conversion to single mass flywheel.

Thank you...

Quick Reply: Another 997.2 recall? - Air intake