Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Transmission fluid and oil change - cost?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 09:47 PM
Tracky
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Transmission fluid and oil change - cost?

I went to the stealership today to see how much the cost would be for a transmission fluid change and was told $500. The service guy told me Porsche uses "special" transmission fluids. Is this a normal price? This was at the Fremont Porsche dealership. Also asked the cost for an oil change and he said it was about $200 but "Porsche doesn't do just oil changes. They do service intervals and the next one is 24k miles". Am I being bamboozled here?
Old 04-23-2013, 09:51 PM
GT3.2
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

You can't go wrong with Gunter @ Fremont . He is highly reputable
They offer a savings card on their website, will save you $$$$
Old 04-23-2013, 11:37 PM
4porsh
Three Wheelin'

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts

I go to an independent shop and for $200 i get oil change with factory Porsche filters+o ring and 0/40 Mobil one oil plus the trans oil replaced. I give them the trans oil that cost me $60.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:49 PM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Damage
I went to the stealership today to see how much the cost would be for a transmission fluid change and was told $500. The service guy told me Porsche uses "special" transmission fluids. Is this a normal price? This was at the Fremont Porsche dealership. Also asked the cost for an oil change and he said it was about $200 but "Porsche doesn't do just oil changes. They do service intervals and the next one is 24k miles". Am I being bamboozled here?
YES.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:01 AM
drl
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 65 Posts

"Special" transmission fluid lol
Old 04-24-2013, 01:36 AM
Tracky
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by 4porsh
I go to an independent shop and for $200 i get oil change with factory Porsche filters+o ring and 0/40 Mobil one oil plus the trans oil replaced. I give them the trans oil that cost me $60.
now that sounds way more reasonable to me. need to find a local place like that around here.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:58 AM
dsu*
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

wow. That's a great price!

Where do you get it done? Do you use that shop to set up your alignment, etc... and maintain your car?

I moved into LA (car is stored in OC) earlier this year. Been looking for a cheaper place to maintain the car. I've been getting quotes from 250-370 for oil change...
Old 04-24-2013, 02:12 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,741 Likes on 2,350 Posts

damn, no way you get that in SF area
Old 04-24-2013, 09:41 PM
4porsh
Three Wheelin'

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts

now that sounds way more reasonable to me. need to find a local place like that around here.
Originally Posted by dsu*
wow. That's a great price!

Where do you get it done? Do you use that shop to set up your alignment, etc... and maintain your car?

I moved into LA (car is stored in OC) earlier this year. Been looking for a cheaper place to maintain the car. I've been getting quotes from 250-370 for oil change...
Originally Posted by mooty
damn, no way you get that in SF area
So yes $260 total to have engine and trans fluids replace. I go to a small shop that i have gained a relationship with since I have brought many of my cars over the years to them. The Porsche dealership near be charges $300 for engine oil change. I like to change my engine and trans fluids at the same time and the price it right. Love this car.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:27 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

What the SM told you at F-J is not Porsche's rule but the dealer's silliness, specifically the SM's silliness.

You should have asked that if F-J can't service your car like you want it serviced can it recommend a dealer in the area that can.

For instance, I have no problems getting "just an oil change" at Livermore Porsche. Often times though I'll have something else done, like an oil/filter service and tranny fluid change, or a brake fluid flush/bleed, or new tires and maybe an an alignment.

I do not have regular by the book services done but customize the services to keep them all current and the cars in good condition.

While I can't guarantee you the same deal I got the 5-speed tranny fluid changed in my Boxster for 0.3 hours labor and the tranny fluid at a discount that brought it down to IIRC $5/liter. (The dealer has some fluid left over from some warranty work and I got a discount.)

I've had the Turbo's 6-speed fluid changed there too but I can't recall the price. Given the lack of a place to do the work and the horrible smell of tranny fluid and the mess and the trouble I have tranny fluids changed at the dealer.

Livermore Porsche has a nice waiting area and of course offers a shuttle ride to/from just about anywhere you need to go.

If you want to wait there's WiFi in the waiting area or maybe you can walk into the service area and if the techs aren't too busy ask some questions about your car.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:44 AM
BuckeyeDrew
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having just serviced my 6gt3 (7 should be roughly the same) I can tell you that the tranny/diff service should be less than 1hr. And more like 30-40 minutes, most of which are spent waiting on fluid drain. The OEM fluid is spendy, about $40 a litre and it needs roughly 3.3 L. Many owners (especially if track) opt for Mobile Delvac which is roughly $65 a gallon (Suncoast sells it I think). And according to Matt at Guards any quality 75w-90 will work (and his advice is to change it often).

I opted to do this service myself as it is very easy and could not justify giving a shop $$$.
Andy
Old 04-26-2013, 03:49 AM
Fisher
Pro

Received 69 Likes on 27 Posts

Interesting write-up by LN Engineering

http://www.lnengineering.com/store/c...cant-p-39.html

Mobilube SHC Delvac 1 75W-90 Synthetic Gear Lubricant
We recommend this gear lubricant in G50 and later manual gearboxes (or any gearboxes calling for a GL5 lubricant) for both aircooled and watercooled Porsches without limited-slip differentials. Not a limited slip gear lubricant! Although also compatible with earlier Porsche gearboxes, Swepco 201 is a better choice for these gearboxes in our personal experience (including 901 and 915, as well as VW manual gearboxes).

http://www.lnengineering.com/store/c...lube-p-40.html

Swepco 201 GL5 Multi-Purpose 80W-90 Gear Lube
It is worth noting that Porsche went to SWEPCO when they were having gearbox longevity issues, which led to the development of 201 specficially for Porsche.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:24 AM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,912 Likes on 1,114 Posts

Yes, they're trying to screw ya. It takes about an hour of your time and 1 gallon of fluid. I use Mobil Delvac 75w90 (standard fill in GT3 and cup car). I buy it directly from Mobil in 5 gallon pails and it costs me $168 including shipping to my door, so $34/gallon.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:17 PM
flyingpenguin
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by drl
"Special" transmission fluid lol
I have Mobil 1 synthetic gear lube 75W90 in the past and started having 2nd gear synchro issues. Especially in the low and high (track related) temperature ranges.

The gurus on this (the guys at G-BOX in Boulder CO) pointed out that the Porsche PTX transaxle stuff really is specially formulated for our type of transmissions and well worth the extra $$.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:45 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,912 Likes on 1,114 Posts

Originally Posted by flyingpenguin
I have Mobil 1 synthetic gear lube 75W90 in the past and started having 2nd gear synchro issues. Especially in the low and high (track related) temperature ranges.

The gurus on this (the guys at G-BOX in Boulder CO) pointed out that the Porsche PTX transaxle stuff really is specially formulated for our type of transmissions and well worth the extra $$.
Mobil 1 75w90 is not the same as Mobil Delvac 75w90. Delvac is factory fill.

http://www.lufteknic.com/Merchant2/m...bil75-90delvac

Quick Reply: Transmission fluid and oil change - cost?