Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

First DE in RS with video

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 08:24 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,629 Likes on 756 Posts

Originally Posted by Nan P
Dantzig nice vid thanks for sharing. I remember driving my RS the 1st time on a track....
Also like the elevation changes @ Mid Ohio, kinda like Oregon Raceway Park (ORP).

Are you running stock wheels with the 335's & 245's ?
He runs 18"
Old 04-16-2013, 08:58 AM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I just looked, I never got below a 37 in 2011 on the track in the video above. Very technical track that fights you. More fun in slower cars I think. I like flowy tracks. Or maybe just easy tracks Lol...
Lol, it's practically my home track. With enough time, and less traffic, you'd easily be turning 35's & 36's on the club course (chicane). I believe you were at a NASA event, which are notoriously crowded. The track flows, but only with traffic at the right spots.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:20 AM
dantzig
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was on BFG R1's, mounted on OZ Superleggera 18" wheels. 335/30 in the rear, 245/40 in the front. On a cold, wet track, they are fairly terrifying. Even when it was drying, there was water streaming across the track between 2 and 3, at the exit of the keyhole, and between 9&10. Once the tires got wet again, they were pretty skatey for the next corner or two.

On Friday, we were joking that the pedals should be renamed: "Shift if you dare, ABS, and Sideways"

I was staying in third through both the keyhole and carousel, and left it at the top of 4th at the end of the back straight. I think that taking those turns in 2nd would also help you position the car in the middle of the corner for a better exit. As it was, I was at the top of third on the front and top of fourth on the back.

I'll be better next year!

Mvez: This was OVR-PCA. A number of cup cars, fast GT3's, an RS 4.0, etc. I got to see a lot of them going by.

Stujelly: Mustang with plate YOUJ3LLY ?

Jon
Old 04-16-2013, 10:26 AM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by dantzig
I was on BFG R1's, mounted on OZ Superleggera 18" wheels. 335/30 in the rear, 245/40 in the front. On a cold, wet track, they are fairly terrifying. Even when it was drying, there was water streaming across the track between 2 and 3, at the exit of the keyhole, and between 9&10. Once the tires got wet again, they were pretty skatey for the next corner or two.

On Friday, we were joking that the pedals should be renamed: "Shift if you dare, ABS, and Sideways"

I was staying in third through both the keyhole and carousel, and left it at the top of 4th at the end of the back straight. I think that taking those turns in 2nd would also help you position the car in the middle of the corner for a better exit. As it was, I was at the top of third on the front and top of fourth on the back.

I'll be better next year!

Mvez: This was OVR-PCA. A number of cup cars, fast GT3's, an RS 4.0, etc. I got to see a lot of them going by.

Stujelly: Mustang with plate YOUJ3LLY ?

Jon
Hi Jon,

Great tire, but you are right, they are scary in cold/wet conditions. I'm sure you come to the KYPCA events each year at Putnam, if not, make sure to put them on your list, it's a great event. I'll try to find you at the next Putnam event to put a face with a name, always good to meet fellow RL'ers.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:12 AM
JCL59
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

On Mid ohio in the wet... Met Johnny Oconnel @ bondaurant in feb, when he heard I was from Ohio he said MO was the slickest track he'd ever driven especially in the wet.

It's my home track also.. Good to know there's more grip at most other tracks. Looks like rain for my first day on fri in the RS with new R6s. Should be fun..
Old 04-16-2013, 11:19 AM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 49 Posts

Forecast is a carbon copy of last weekend

Friday likely a washout. I'm tempted to run the test n tune Thursday night. Track open from 5-8:30pm for lapping. $150. Thunderstorms predicted, but less chance than Friday. Sat and Sun should be dry.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:23 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

weather guys down here this morning were hedging more towards rain being more thursday evening into Friday morning than all day Friday.

Either way it's gonna be cold out there bring warm clothing.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:05 PM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My favorite track for racing karts, bar none. Probably my favorite track in the region, including Road America and Grattan. Mid Ohio and Barber are awesome in karts.

Your lines weren't bad, a couple of feet off of the apexes for the most part. Pretty good in a car.

The bump looks so benign in a car. In a kart it can launch you 2 feet to the left. Or it can separate your left ribs. If you're in a laydown you'll avoid it until the last two or three laps if you're fighting for position- usually to the right of the bump, right on the corner skirt.

FYI in my TaG situp I've raced laps there at 1.38.xx. When I had my TaG laydown I've gone quite a bit faster- mid to low 1.3x.xx (WKA Grands winning laptimes). I think the CIK125 guys (situp mod Honda CR125 w/6speed gearbox) go high 1.2x.xx or low 1.3x.xx times.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:28 PM
gt2r
Advanced

Jon

What kind of video recorder and data loger are you using? With the inbeded infor that you have it is a nice set up. I would be interested in knowing if this is a GPS or hard wired set up

Thanks
Old 04-16-2013, 12:55 PM
dantzig
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Mvez
Hi Jon,

Great tire, but you are right, they are scary in cold/wet conditions. I'm sure you come to the KYPCA events each year at Putnam, if not, make sure to put them on your list, it's a great event. I'll try to find you at the next Putnam event to put a face with a name, always good to meet fellow RL'ers.
I live less than an hour from Putnam Park, so it's my home track. I'll be doing the D-group classroom for the DE 4/27-28. I travel a lot, so I miss some of the KY and CIR events. Looking forward to meeting you at one of them.

Scott and JCL: Sorry to hear about the weather prediction. It was pretty miserable this past weekend.

Originally Posted by NickWong
My favorite track for racing karts, bar none. Probably my favorite track in the region, including Road America and Grattan. Mid Ohio and Barber are awesome in karts.

Your lines weren't bad, a couple of feet off of the apexes for the most part. Pretty good in a car.

The bump looks so benign in a car. In a kart it can launch you 2 feet to the left. Or it can separate your left ribs. If you're in a laydown you'll avoid it until the last two or three laps if you're fighting for position- usually to the right of the bump, right on the corner skirt.
I think that the fisheye lens makes me look further away from the edges than I actually am. But some of those curbs were still wet, and I sure didn't want to catch any of the soggy grass, so I was staying off of them. In this session I was trying a different line that takes you about 6 feet off of the apex in 10b. Jerry Wolf says it gives you a straighter shot into 11. I didn't get to try it long enough to be sure whether I like it. I hate that nasty bump in the carousel.

Originally Posted by gt2r
What kind of video recorder and data loger are you using? With the inbeded infor that you have it is a nice set up. I would be interested in knowing if this is a GPS or hard wired set up
Data logging using TraqMate, which has GPS and acceleration data. Video with a GoPro HD Hero. Video assembled using TraqStudio, which comes from TraqMate. I didn't have a sync cable (it arrived yesterday) for this video, so I had to sync it by hand. It's not that hard if you start the TraqMate and video at about the same time. This one I had to bump the video forward 0.25 seconds. With the sync cable, the TraqMate controls the camera and starts them together.

I have a Mac, and TraqMate is all PC, so it's a bit of a PITA. Maybe I'll do another thread on how to get it all imported into iMovie for editing.

Jon
Old 04-16-2013, 01:04 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by dantzig

In this session I was trying a different line that takes you about 6 feet off of the apex in 10b. Jerry Wolf says it gives you a straighter shot into 11. I didn't get to try it long enough to be sure whether I like it.
My preference is somewhat inbetween the two. 6 feet is too far off it in my opinion...I'm probably 3 ft off the curb though. If you use the inside curb on T9 to rotate and shoot the car off the corner you should be able to be full throttle in 3rd from the apex of T9 until you crest the hill, slight lift to set the nose for 10b then a squeeze onto the throttle for a short spirtz to get you to where you need to square up to scrub speed for 11.

That's where it looks like to me you're leaving the most time on the table....though overall everything you're doing is VERY good.

I'm not the fastest guy out there so take my comments at face value.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:14 PM
dantzig
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I always leave time on the table in that sequence. I rolled my '87 911 in the gravel at the entrance to Turn 11, and I haven't been able to hammer through there ever since.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:49 PM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

It's a DE in street cars. Always leave time out on the track. Not go
Old 04-16-2013, 01:50 PM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

It's a DE in street cars. Always leave time out on the track. Not going to win anything. I like to drive to and from the track- on track incidents leave little room for the latter.
Old 04-16-2013, 03:07 PM
dantzig
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Nick Wong
It's a DE in street cars. Always leave time out on the track. Not going to win anything. I like to drive to and from the track- on track incidents leave little room for the latter.
+100

At the end of the afternoon on Sunday, I sat in for a fellow instructor who had to leave early. His C student was super aggressive and completely lost it in turn 1 on the first lap. He tried to downshift when he was already under the bridge. Fortunately, we didn't collect anyone else or hit anything. I gave him exactly that speech!

Quick Reply: First DE in RS with video