Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

And it begins.... 4.2L

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 02:15 PM
Jamie_GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ur20v
you could 'pop' over to Perth while you are in Asia, any room in your cabin luggage for a 4.4....
Would love to, spring in Perth is likely pretty nice...
Old 10-16-2014, 07:45 AM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

its lovely... getting regularly 30+ so not too hot (yet!!) which is great for the out doors, beach (across the road) and the pool

Your more than welcome Jamie... bring Juan.
Old 10-16-2014, 11:45 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 800 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by Texas RS
RSRanger,

Good to see you back on RL.

TWS is a great way to add a couple of extra track days to a trip to COTA, it is cost effective and only about 100 miles from COTA. If you guys get a group up to come to COTA, we can work out a day or two at TWS before it closes for good at the end of May. The facilities at COTA are first rate, but a number of us that drive both COTA and TWS regularly prefer TWS.
TWS for the win, ran it 2 years ago but got snowed out last year. Would be in for 2015 on Thursday before COTA.

Peter
Old 03-14-2015, 07:38 PM
Jamie_GT3
Three Wheelin'

Default Cobb for stock ECU, and MOTEC M1 integration for the best of everything!

Long overdue update.

End of 2014, was waiting for Cobb to release the 997.1 firmware, have been playing with it and have a workable tune on the car. Waiting for Mitch to be available to come up to Seattle or we meet in Portland at Cobb Surgeline to dial in a few things and potentially open a few maps that will help with drivability...

Also just spent this week integrating our MOTEC M1 setup into the car with Jayson, Matt and Neel from Apex Speed. We have succesfully put the M1 into the car, running multiple items on the CAN bus (stock ignition switch, front fans, instruments, wheel speeds, etc...). A few things left to do but very close. Other features of the M1 install are individual cylinder WBO2 and EGT integrated and reported through the CAN bus, control of the resonance flaps on the manifold, the dual fuel pumps, variocam, and can run MAF, MAP or TPS for load depending on what the engine calls for. Car starts, runs etc... ran out of time this trip to get it to the dyno.

Working on finishing the CAN integration for the instrument cluster, cleaning up the wire harness and finalizing placement of some things. We're scheduled for the dyno on the 23rd/24th of this month to work on the tune, and then I'll log and tweak cold start, hot start, and at the track...

This is very exciting as this is the first M1 integration into a GT car and the architecture is such that we should be able to port it most all Porsche non direct injection cars pretty easily. This means, GT cars, Turbo's, Caymans, etc...

Once we have the M1 setup finished for the 4.2, RK will announce pricing etc...
Old 03-14-2015, 11:30 PM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

Great news Jamie. Really exciting.

Mich and Cobb are great to work with so along with the M1 you have some good otions for customers of the RK engines.

I look forward to working with you at some point.

Jay
Old 03-15-2015, 04:05 PM
hockenheimr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jamie_GT3

Awesome build...can't wait to see some track vids of this beast!

Where did you get 'Darth Vader' in the pics? and if can please pm me on the 4.0 Plenums.

Cheers
Old 03-20-2015, 10:02 PM
Jamie_GT3
Three Wheelin'

Motec M1 PNP is getting finished up end of next week. Will likely still have a few CAN messages to add, but have 90% of them done!

Really excited for the possibilities, power and safety of the M1! Flexfuel E85 will happen, ITB's are in the works, motorsports traction control etc...

Will update next week with videos once done!

Old 06-18-2015, 04:57 AM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Old 06-18-2015, 07:53 AM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

Yeah Jamie, how are things tracking? Hope for some good news
Old 06-18-2015, 02:41 PM
Jamie_GT3
Three Wheelin'

Had Cobb up here tuning and helping me with drivability. Many of the stock ECU cars with big engines were having issues with ignition drop out, they fixed it on Leh's car and seemed to fix it on mine as well. Of course while they're here and we're on the dyno we get a cam position implausible code. Cams wouldn't go to full advance (about half way) and were only going to about half the requested advance. We know that if the ECU is unsure of cam position there is a cam limp mode of sorts where it will only move them a little bit. Can happen if an actuator is stuck, if the cam sensor signal is intermittent, etc...

We discussed it and to ensure everything is dead right, we took the engine down to investigate if the cams were timed correctly, oil passages correct, actuators working right etc... So far we have checked timing, (with dial gauges) and as suspected Neil built is exactly right... We verified that we do have overlap at full intake cam retard with the cam grinds we're using (we may dial this out a bit so the street car makes some more vacuum and not as lopey at idle). Charles (Gerber Motorsports) has checked the actuators and they're tight and smooth saying that it's not likely them. He's going to disassemble clean and reassemble just to be OCD about it. We also checked to make sure oil flow was solid and not leaking out the end of the cam or what not, no issues there either.

So we haven't found a smoking gun.

One thing to note, I had a throttle limp mode issue a couple years ago. After taking it to Charles he figured out it was a few of the pins on the harness side connector to the ECU were loose, both 5V and Ground for the TPS were loose. Guess which pins are directly adjacent to the TPS pins.... cam position 1 and 2...

May be a loose pin, either way I'm confident we'll track it down and have the car to the track this summer!

I'm in good hands to get it resolved, only issue with having a great Porsche guy working on your car, is once word gets out, he's really busy...
Old 06-18-2015, 10:49 PM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

Normal tuning drama, I am sure your crew with Neil and Charles on the case will have it buttoned up are end up smiling ear to ear!

I have faith in you and your capabilities.

Looking forward to videos o street, track and dyno....
Old 06-21-2015, 03:43 AM
ScottKelly911
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I can't believe that this thread is 3 years old already! Jamie, you've got a ton of patience I have to say! I had a project car that took way too many years. As much fun as it could be at times and enjoying having a one-off car. The frustrations eventually took their toll and I decided to sell it. Having a one-off car and the tuning problems associated with it, as your experiencing, just got to be too much. When it was dont, there was a sense of accomplishment. But in the end, I don't think I'd want to do it again. I want to be able to enjoy driving the car and be relatively worry free. Reading this thread has always brought me back to the excitement of the build. But now that you've been running into the tuning buggaboo's, it totally has reminded me why I sold my car. Sorry to sound like a Debbie Downer, but man, it just reopens old wounds. I really do wish you the best though, because it really is rewarding when it all comes to fruition.
Old 06-22-2015, 02:52 AM
Jamie_GT3
Three Wheelin'

Hi Scott. A lot of the delays are the development of parts at the same time as building the car. The car could have been tuned over 18months ago, but I wanted to wait for Cobb to bring their stuff to market. I also wanted to have a hand in tuning it and learn the ins and outs of it. I've learned a lot and have loved the process. Do I miss being at the track, absolutely. but I know it will bear fruit in the end...

Our damper is one of the things that came out of my build, headers, tuning and cams will be the other. I know we'll get the car on the track this summer and it will be a hoot!

I bought an E30M3 as well to play with, putting an E39M5 S62 in it with full stand alone, MK60 ABS and restoring it to a DTM type street/track car... Will be fun!
Old 06-23-2015, 07:19 AM
JuanCarpantier
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamie_GT3
I bought an E30M3 as well to play with, putting an E39M5 S62 in it with full stand alone, MK60 ABS and restoring it to a DTM type street/track car... Will be fun!
Whawhasaywha? Post some pics!!
Old 06-23-2015, 06:08 PM
Jamie_GT3
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by JuanCarpantier
Whawhasaywha? Post some pics!!
Not much to look at right now, getting all the parts together to get started. When I have something to post up I will add an "off topic" thread on the build.

Quick Reply: And it begins.... 4.2L