Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Are we just out of topics?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 12:18 PM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DD, that's funny that you hate PBIR, I like it for testing. The two long corners (that I remember, only been there twice) are great for feeling out front end grip and to see if the rear end is behaving (with a lot of run off room), and you can lap it quick enough in a 10 minute session to keep mental notes of that same corner without any brain fade. I wish I had a track like that near me, most of them up here that are short don't have any such features- short tracks have silly, speed killing tight turns, long tracks have big, high MPH sweepers.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:24 PM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
As an aside, it is hilarious that folks have inured themselves to a clutch & PP being "wear items".

In 102,000 miles, of which probably half are on track, my full-race M3 is still using the original PP... And I have replaced the clutch once...only because I also put in a lightweight flywheel at the same time.

My old Skyline GT-R's clutch was a wear item after a 200hp bump. At stock levels, going from the OE full organic disc to a three piece semimetallic sprung hub disc made it a 4 year "major" item. At the power the new one has now, I use a custom Tilton triple plate carbon/carbon clutch with hydro throwout- used clutch from the WC car back in 2006. That thing has seen all the practices, starts and wear from 1/2 a season of WC racing, virtually no wear @ "500hp". Should be perfectly fine for street driven 700whp (approx. "500hp" on the SCCA WC cheater scale).

Don't ride the clutch and it'll last a long time. Abuse clutch, abuse wallet...
Old 04-07-2013, 01:02 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,629 Likes on 756 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
As an aside, it is hilarious that folks have inured themselves to a clutch & PP being "wear items".

In 102,000 miles, of which probably half are on track, my full-race M3 is still using the original PP... And I have replaced the clutch once...only because I also put in a lightweight flywheel at the same time.

That's probably because a good driver and no powah, so the temps stay good.

Originally Posted by deputydog95
Orbit had a private track day at PBIR yesterday. I think there 6 or 7 car cars. Got the invite but I hate PBIR.
Same here, plus I was flying all day yesterday!

Originally Posted by Nick Wong
DD, that's funny that you hate PBIR, I like it for testing. The two long corners (that I remember, only been there twice) are great for feeling out front end grip and to see if the rear end is behaving (with a lot of run off room), and you can lap it quick enough in a 10 minute session to keep mental notes of that same corner without any brain fade. I wish I had a track like that near me, most of them up here that are short don't have any such features- short tracks have silly, speed killing tight turns, long tracks have big, high MPH sweepers.
I can't stand PBIR for more than a few hours, I get bored and for testing and setup no good either because there are no fast sweepers, only long slow corners without end.

Originally Posted by Nick Wong
My old Skyline GT-R's clutch was a wear item after a 200hp bump. At stock levels, going from the OE full organic disc to a three piece semimetallic sprung hub disc made it a 4 year "major" item. At the power the new one has now, I use a custom Tilton triple plate carbon/carbon clutch with hydro throwout- used clutch from the WC car back in 2006. That thing has seen all the practices, starts and wear from 1/2 a season of WC racing, virtually no wear @ "500hp". Should be perfectly fine for street driven 700whp (approx. "500hp" on the SCCA WC cheater scale).

Don't ride the clutch and it'll last a long time. Abuse clutch, abuse wallet...
Our clutches don't wear out. They overheat and the throwout bearing and PP kinda soften and do not allow you to declutch completely = bad for transmission. So when they either break (Rivets or springs let go) the actual clutch still looks like new, no wear with a good driver. Long story short it just overheats, so does the 4.0. The 4.0 clutch and PP are made better so they will last long in a 3.6 and 3.8 but in a 4.0 its still a wear item every 75 track days or about 7500 track miles. Mine is getting a new one before I pick it up for my track event, just in case and I'm only half that if that many.
Old 04-07-2013, 01:18 PM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

Peter, the long slow corners are really good for testing chassis especially if you are trying to break down suspension/alignment/weight jack transitional states (before I got the SoloDL, which makes it even easier now). I could literally try three or four different things per corner at PBIR to see what and what does not work, and after four laps I had more than enough data to move towards a much better setup. I guess horses for courses, PBIR is great for testing, probably not a "track day" epic track but realistically, how many of those are there in the nation. For example, for me to get the same data at GingerMan (there is only one corner like that there) I would have to be on hot laps for literally 4 times longer and only get about 2/3 of the data. I like driving tracks, but I hate poor use of track time, and more importantly, my own time. PBIR for me is a 2 hour dealio, but to do the same thing at GingerMan would be a whole day affair.

As for your clutch issue, why not just get an aftermarket disc and be done with it? If they are overheating (PP or disc) that mean slippage, get something in there that doesn't slip, and it's taken care of. Again, my pet peeve is wasting time- constantly swapping out OE clutches would cost me more than just paying for something that actually works properly. Either way, that sucks if the OE clutch does that. My S2000 OE clutch wore out the springs on the disc early in it's life, swapped it out for a Mugen disc/PP, no more problems (10 years on that clutch now I think). So I know how you feel.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:00 PM
FLA997
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Orbit had a private track day at PBIR yesterday. I think there 6 or 7 car cars. Got the invite but I hate PBIR.
Got the invite as well to PBIR...decided to do yard work instead - more fun...

Would have definitely gone to Sebring.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:13 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by FLA997
Got the invite as well to PBIR...decided to do yard work instead - more fun...

Would have definitely gone to Sebring.
Agreed. When you calculate in tire wear, brake wear, engine wear, etc etc etc... Time, effort, and money are better spent at some place like Sebring.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:46 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

How do you get an invite to something like this?...Oh wait...forgot...I'm not a GT3 DE Cup baller.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:10 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

That's right. Know your role
Old 04-07-2013, 09:13 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Lol
Old 04-07-2013, 09:24 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mdrums
How do you get an invite to something like this?...Oh wait...forgot...I'm not a GT3 DE Cup baller.
Mike, You didn't miss anything don't worry, and what is GT3DE cup again ???

Is there such a thing still ?
Old 04-07-2013, 11:28 PM
Cloudspin
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
The Ferrari Club had the day reserved and when they bailed, Sebring offered it to Pete. Pete drummed up some interest but not nearly enough to make it economically viable. He called Henry Gilbert of HOD and Henry sent email invites to his instructors, advanced drivers and friends a couple weeks ago and he filled it up in five days. It was a grat day. Roger had several Cup cars and a full crew.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:26 PM
sstjohn
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Agreed. When you calculate in tire wear, brake wear, engine wear, etc etc etc... Time, effort, and money are better spent at some place like Sebring.
Looking forward to Sebring this weekend. Especially all of the point-bys I'll be getting from DD, Greek and Izzone.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:19 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 292 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by sstjohn
Looking forward to Sebring this weekend. Especially all of the point-bys I'll be getting from DD, Greek and Izzone.
I'm bringing r6 for Sunday

Good luck
Old 04-08-2013, 09:03 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Uh oh, let's see what happens with the car dialed in with R6's on it
Old 04-08-2013, 09:09 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I want to see low 2;20s