Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Which Front Licence Plate Mount for GT3

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 12:41 AM
DLJ
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Which Front Licence Plate Mount for GT3

There was a thread under the 991 section of the forum related to this, but I'd like to know the thoughts of GT3 owners more specifically.
For those who live in a jurisdiction that requires a front plate and fines you repeatedly if you don't comply, what do members think about these three options ( not including drilling the front of the bumper):

Skene (need to drill to holes in unseen location, centered, not easily removed)
http://www.skenedesign.com/FPBracket/index.shtml

Mower Axle ( tow hook mount, off center, easily removed)
http://www.moweraxle.com/licenseplat...censekits.html

US Millworks ( tow hook mount, off center, easily removed)
http://www.usmillworks.com/porsche_f..._tow_hook.html

Appreciate feedback and advice from current users of any of the above or other types of mounts ( eg. some have used magnets mounted behind bumper,etc.)
Old 04-02-2013, 01:23 AM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

does rennline have one that mounts to the front toe hook.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:34 AM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, I have the Rennline front plate holder. Very simple to install/setup.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:39 AM
DLJ
Racer

Yes Rennline is similar to the Mower Axle in billet, but with a swivel to adjust angle. Bit more $ but in same range.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:56 AM
Sweeper
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

i Have the Rennline mount and I think it's as good as it get for a front plate mount. They're all ugly IMO
Old 04-02-2013, 10:41 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

get a decal made. i would never drill my front bumper. not even for the provincial government who taxed the **** out of the car to begin with.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:41 AM
Vonschmidt
Rennlist Member

Rennline is our choice. Easy on and easy off for the track.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:07 PM
2XIPA
Burning Brakes

Received 316 Likes on 214 Posts

I found the Go Mini Go bracket worked best for me. No affiliation. http://www.gominigo.com/Porsche.html
Old 04-02-2013, 12:14 PM
DLJ
Racer

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
get a decal made. i would never drill my front bumper. not even for the provincial government who taxed the **** out of the car to begin with.
Oh they definitely did that. And the fed. gov't took more than they did to disappear into oblivion...
Old 04-02-2013, 12:47 PM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
^ this
Old 04-02-2013, 12:48 PM
DLJ
Racer

Soapbox time: I really dislike bureaucratic nonsense. Here's some chapter and verse about why you have to put an FFP (flippin front plate) on in BC...(and can't substitute with a decal/copy). Not to my liking at all, especially when next door in Alberta, plus several other provinces/states don't require them (begin the blood boiling... LOL)

"Offences
13 (1) A person commits an offence if the person drives, operates, parks or is in charge of a motor vehicle or trailer on a highway

(a) without the licence required by this Act for the operation of that motor vehicle or trailer having been first obtained and being then in force,

(b) without displaying on it, in the manner prescribed, the number plates issued or designated by the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia or otherwise prescribed to be displayed on that motor vehicle or trailer for the current licence year of that motor vehicle or trailer, or

(c) that has displayed on it a number plate other than those issued or designated by the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia or otherwise prescribed to be displayed on that motor vehicle or trailer for the current licence year of that motor vehicle or trailer.

Alteration and use of fictitious number plates or documents74 (1) A person commits an offence if the person(a) alters, obliterates or repaints a figure or letter

(i) on a number plate issued under this Act,

(ii) on a numbered decal issued under section 12 (3), or

(iii) on any other document issued under this Act for the temporary operation of a motor vehicle or trailer,

(b) drives, operates or has charge of a motor vehicle or trailer having displayed on it

(i) a number plate, numbered decal or document referred to in paragraph (a) on which a figure or letter has been altered, obliterated or repainted, or

(ii) a number plate, numbered decal or other document for the temporary operation of a motor vehicle or trailer, that has not been issued under this Act but that is of a colour or design resembling or purporting to be a number plate, numbered decal or document for the temporary operation of a motor vehicle or trailer issued under this Act,"

Sure lots of people go for a long time and never get a ticket, or they may get repeated tickets and just pay them, or maybe this (copied from another forum):

"I've seen a Z06 Corvette hauled away on a flatdeck because the owner had been issued a Box 2 Notice and Order 32 days earlier to mount his plate.

He didn't so wound up getting a $595 non-compliance ticket, the Fail to Display plate ticket, a Box 1 inspection, the rear plate seized and a flat deck ride to the shop of his choice.

Roll those dice ladies and gentlemen!"

I hate the idea of an ugly front plate on my Porsche, period. I don't like the idea of drilling the front bumper. I don't like having one mounted off-center. And I also dislike getting large tickets (maybe repeatedly) and giving the police an excuse to throw the book at me if I happen to be pulled over for a simple speeding infraction. Sometimes they just go on enforcement campaigns and even me, Mr. Docile GT3 driver, will get a ticket. So what's the most painful scenario? I'm in the camp where I don't want the extra attention and (very) possible ticket(s) costs more than I don't want the front plate put on the car. Time for some medication...LOL
Old 04-02-2013, 12:54 PM
DLJ
Racer

Originally Posted by Leigh2
^ this
( Make a decal/ vinyl copy)

They've got you covered on this. Ticket for this is more expensive than not displaying the original plate that was issued to you. It apparently relates to them not being able to efficiently scan your plate with a mobile scanning device, laser you, and red light camera/photo radar.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:56 PM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

Lee,

Take it from me, I was pulled over twice in 10 minutes for no front plate on my Carrera. Needless to say, I mounted one, and never got pulled over again.

Just mount one, and be done with it, it will give the police another reason to pull over a Porsche.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:58 PM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by DLJ
( Make a decal/ vinyl copy)

They've got you covered on this. Ticket for this is more expensive than not displaying the original plate that was issued to you. It apparently relates to them not being able to efficiently scan your plate with a mobile scanning device, laser you, and red light camera/photo radar.
It is illegal to cover the plate in any way, including a clear covered plate frame that some dealers put on when they sell you the car.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:54 PM
DLJ
Racer

^ +1 on both of your posts.
That's why I'm putting the plate on. Just deciding on the mount.

Quick Reply: Which Front Licence Plate Mount for GT3