Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

What's a 7.1 GT3 like as a daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 04:06 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,665 Likes on 773 Posts

You slammed the car down too low, stripped half the interior out went with CUP cables and the most enoying exhaust sound I ever heard.

Originally Posted by deputydog95
It's a great daily driver if you meet the following requirements:

You never talk on your phone in the car ==> Perfectly fine on blue tooth if you keep under 4K RPM.The steepest driveway you'll ever encounter is about 1" ==> Scraping is kool, new lips are $200.00 and I never bought a replacement.You have the left calf strength of lance armstrong ==> only a problem in traffic jams.You max cargo is a box of kleenex ==> the seats fold and there is huge space behind the seats and a good side frunk??
Your co-workers and customers don't mind seing you in a 100k car ==> I fired them all.You're comfortable leaving the car in a walmart parking lot or in a crowded night spot ==> People seem to love Porsches. No dings ever. They will die if I see them do it.You don't mind getting tickets on a monthly basis ==>www.theticketclinic.com
You never eat or drink in the car ==> shouldnt in any carYou only have one friend ==> or none.
Your kidneys are secure in their location inside your body ==> totally disagree, rides like a caddy, My X5 was way harsher.You don't mind awful gas mileage ==> really?

If all that works, then it's a perfect DD
Old 02-24-2013, 04:25 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
You slammed the car down too low, stripped half the interior out went with CUP cables and the most enoying exhaust sound I ever heard.
Car is at 10mm below stock ride height, Stock shift cables, carpeting/headliner/door panels still in (for now), and apparently an exhaust system for the .1 cars that does not drone from 2-3k doesn't exist...

Your commute is under 3 minutes. You could use a model T and wouldn't be in it long enough to get uncomfortable. I enjoyed your other responses I do like a coffee on the ride into work and it's tough to drink and shift. Bluetooth in the .1's is horrible. I went with an aftermarket deck and it still sucks. .2's have a very good BT system.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:18 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

FWIW anybody who drives a GT3 as their sole daily driver is considered cool. Steve McQueen cool.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:20 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 289 Likes on 159 Posts

Did you mean to say tool?
Old 02-26-2013, 12:15 AM
entityx
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
this is it right here.
too much traffic, crap roads congested all the time except between midnight and 6am. if you commute at these times, or live in the sticks, then it's ok.
I live in SF and have to commute 25 miles each way to work. I'm almost always bumping into heavy traffic or scraping the front on some hill. Calling the roads I take "crap" would be a compliment. I agree that at times it can be harsh, but there's something about the roughness that I gravitate towards and I couldn't be happier using this car as my DD. With that said, its not for everybody.

Last edited by entityx; 02-26-2013 at 02:52 PM. Reason: changed "day" to "way" (50 miles total commute)
Old 02-26-2013, 09:32 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by carcommander
Did you mean to say tool?
i have yet to meet a dweeb who daily drives a GT3 porsche..... turbo yes, GT3 no....

anybody who decides to buy a GT3 for a daily driver and looks past the cons for the pros is cool in my books.
Typically a purist.

Same goes for anybody in 1973 who bought a RS touring as their daily driver.
(the 73" owner would consider the GT3 a luxury boat however )
Old 03-01-2013, 07:47 PM
gmsracing
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Any of you switched from a Cayman S to a GT3? I bought the Cayman new thinking it would be a great DE/street car; but oiling issues on the gen 1 Caymans are a problem so I am concerned about beating it on the track too much. I'm thinking of getting a 997.1 GT3 as my all purpose car. My CS has PSS9 coilovers, Pagid yellows, and more hp, so I'm hoping the GT3 will be about the same in terms of having to live with it on a daily basis.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:37 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gmsracing
Any of you switched from a Cayman S to a GT3? I bought the Cayman new thinking it would be a great DE/street car; but oiling issues on the gen 1 Caymans are a problem so I am concerned about beating it on the track too much. I'm thinking of getting a 997.1 GT3 as my all purpose car. My CS has PSS9 coilovers, Pagid yellows, and more hp, so I'm hoping the GT3 will be about the same in terms of having to live with it on a daily basis.
all you need is the oil cooler.
NJ-GT has a Caymen S with all the little track mods one requires to enjoy a hard weekend.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:38 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,737 Likes on 2,348 Posts

Originally Posted by entityx
I live in SF and have to commute 25 miles each way to work. I'm almost always bumping into heavy traffic or scraping the front on some hill. Calling the roads I take "crap" would be a compliment. I agree that at times it can be harsh, but there's something about the roughness that I gravitate towards and I couldn't be happier using this car as my DD. With that said, its not for everybody.
hahaha, i drive my in and out of SF financial district. bounce in and out of pot holes, no prob. the brake ducts are long gone, the lip spoiler suffers more damage on track then on road, so i dont care about it much, new one every year. crazy stuff.

36 miles one way. the connector from 280 to 380 and on ramp from edgewood in woodside are the best. just like T8 at TH.

Quick Reply: What's a 7.1 GT3 like as a daily driver?