Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

991 GT3 PDK & Centerlock Debate

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 06:08 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,256 Likes on 588 Posts

Originally Posted by Guest89
I assume that you have their ear, to an extent at least. Please voice this discontent. I'd love to have a NEW Porsche to desire, anticipate, and work for. But I won't if the car doesn't have 3 pedals, and I'm not the only one...
The key words in bold. Porsche will do what Porsche will do. I wrote a commentary questioning the intelligence of CLs, and we can see what that (and all the forum threads) amounted to.

When considering whether to ultimately kill the manual transmission, I just hope PAG listens to its customers...not can't-drive journalists who drank the Kool-Aid or dealers who order all PDK cars because they know they can move 100% of them as new cars and as lease returns. The ledger sheets don't always tell the whole story, just as 'Ring times don't.

If you guys want to be heard, I recommend you band together and get as vocal as you can — in writing — with PAG directly, not PCNA. As always, money talks. If it's one or two letters, it's not worth the effort. If it's 30-40, from GT3 owners who can document that they're real buyers for the 991 GT3, it becomes something different. If you can hit 50-100+, then all the more so. IIRC, this forum represents a pretty significant chunk of their buyers for these cars, so maybe you can go much higher than that?

pete

Last edited by stout; 02-23-2013 at 06:33 PM.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:32 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

Without discussing "involvement" which is a personal choice thing, one of the things I value about PDK on the track is the ability to up and or downshift IN the corner. The constant torque of the PDK system makes this possible without affecting the balance of the car. No more short shifting for a corner because you run out of revs before track out. Nice feature. A cup car with sequential can up shift mid corner because it is so fast. Downshifting not so much. To be fair you don't downshift mid corner too often but it's nice that you can do it when needed.

As to involvement, yeah there is a feeling of satisfaction when you execute a perfect heal toe change, but when racing the PDK wins. The solution is a PDK racer and manual for everything else

Regards,
Old 02-23-2013, 07:29 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by triode
Amen.
+1.

and.....there will always be turntables and tubes.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:25 PM
hakaida702
Racer

The GT3 and RS versions should have manual transmissions and PDK as an option. As someone who is physically unable to drive stick anymore, this is good news for me. But I do not agree that pdk should be the only choice. And when will porsche drop CL? Seems like no one here wants CL. To those who are new to porsche they might think they are cool, but once you own a CL car you wish porsche never put those things on your car.
Old 01-13-2016, 01:32 PM
Assapopoulos
2nd Gear

Default Hellcat

Sorry to being this back from the dead but I has to voice my displeasure with Porsche over PDK being the only option on the Turbo an GT3. I have always been a Porsche fanatic and still love the brand. They are beautiful and amazing cars. So when I could finally afford to buy a new 911 Turbo I was dumbfounded when I went to order one at the dealership that manual was not an option. The salesman raved about the speed of the car and how all the "car magazines" loved it and he was so sure I would be impressed by it I would buy it. The dealership had a Turbo S on the show room floor and allowed me to take it for a test drive. My conclusion it sucks. The driver involvement, to quote my kid, is ***. Apparently that equates to horrible, which is how I feel about it. How on earth anybody can call this a sports car I do not know. Anyway to conclude the story I voiced my displeasure 18th the salesman and drive down the street to the Dodge dealership and bought a Hellcat Callenger with a 6 speed, a 996 GT3 a couple weeks later and with the money I saved I paid for our annual summer vacation in Greece. I hope Porsche starts listening to it's customers and not the been counters in accounting.

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 PDK & Centerlock Debate