Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

991 GT3 PDK & Centerlock Debate

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 10:48 PM
peterbigblock
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've driven PDK cars at the track (Cayman R and Boxster Spyder) and, in my opinion, they get very boring very quickly. I yearned for my manual. A lot of the fun, for me, is shifting and heel-toeing. I agree that PDK is for attractive for some, and I applaud Porsche for offering it on their GT series cars. But offering it exclusively is a mistake. I would never buy a GT3 or RS with a PDK.

As for CLs, I think they're a needless pain in the ***. There's no way that one person can change four CL wheels as quickly as I can swap four five-lug wheels, particularly with an impact gun but even just with a tire iron. The question about whether they are too finicky and fiddly to be safe and reliable in the constant on-and-off-the-car environment of track days leaves me cold. I'd never buy a car with CLs.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:03 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Since I do my own service work on my brakes....cough cough TrakCar....Center Lock wheels really show their pain in the butt due to having to take the brake pedal depressor on and off. Really to do a simple brake bleed with Center Lock wheels the car must be put up on 4 jack stands. Trying to do a brake bleed at the track is very tiresome and time consuming.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:37 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

pdk - I`ll race it, but I`d never buy it.
cl - too scary, too high maintenance and too expensive
Old 02-20-2013, 11:37 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 163 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Mike, the "PDK" in question in this thread means "PDK only" and that non-choice SUCKS.

In addition--your situation excepted--the fact that a driver has to be careful not to use TOO much throttle else it picks a different gear than the one he selected, is simply retarded. Retarded! You mention the Ferrari F1 tranny. Put it in 3rd gear and it stays in 3rd gear coming out of T10...whether you use 5% or 50% or 100% throttle. As it should be.
If you come out of a tight turn at say 2500 RPM in 3rd gear with the Ferrari F1 tranny and mash the throttle will it allow you to lug the engine? Would you floor the throttle like that in a MT car without downshifting first? The fact that PDK will downshift for you automatically in that situation may be unwanted intervention, but if that's what someone is trying to do, I'd at least suggest it's the driver that's being retarded, not the transmission.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:42 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,692 Likes on 873 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
If you come out of a tight turn at say 2500 RPM in 3rd gear with the Ferrari F1 tranny and mash the throttle will it allow you to lug the engine? Would you floor the throttle like that in a MT car without downshifting first? The fact that PDK will downshift for you automatically in that situation may be unwanted intervention, but if that's what someone is trying to do, I'd at least suggest it's the driver that's being retarded, not the transmission.
Well, we will disagree, Mike. In some corners, I may want a higher gear in order to buy some stability in the bakc end that allows me to go WOT sooner & once, rather than feathering a high-RPM would out chassis because it is unsettled. Capisce? Tracks like Sebring that are very bumpy in spots are prime examples of this.

Bottom line: if I want 3rd, I want 3rd, and not some holier-than-thou Cherman engineer's opinion of what gear he thinks I should be in.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:45 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,968 Likes on 1,926 Posts

if you read my other posts you'll know my opinion on CL's - they are crap and not worth defending. I mean honestly porsche recommends swapping them more frequently than fluids, fact, not fiction.

I will not purchase another Porsche product with Center Locks.

PDK rocks!
Old 02-21-2013, 12:02 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Mike, the "PDK" in question in this thread means "PDK only" and that non-choice SUCKS.

In addition--your situation excepted--the fact that a driver has to be careful not to use TOO much throttle else it picks a different gear than the one he selected, is simply retarded. Retarded! You mention the Ferrari F1 tranny. Put it in 3rd gear and it stays in 3rd gear coming out of T10...whether you use 5% or 50% or 100% throttle. As it should be.
If you are in the power band you can floor PDK and it will not downshift because it can't as it would be past redline. But if you floor it at say below 4k rpm's...floor it and hit the kick down button with the throttle pedal then yeah it will downshift very quickly and put you in the proper part of the power band. I'm not understanding why you would think this is bad?
Old 02-21-2013, 12:07 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Well, we will disagree, Mike. In some corners, I may want a higher gear in order to buy some stability in the bakc end that allows me to go WOT sooner & once, rather than feathering a high-RPM would out chassis because it is unsettled. Capisce? Tracks like Sebring that are very bumpy in spots are prime examples of this.

Bottom line: if I want 3rd, I want 3rd, and not some holier-than-thou Cherman engineer's opinion of what gear he thinks I should be in.
I've found that if I keep the rpm's above 4k...maybe 4300...no problem PDK will stay in the gear I select. Why would you want to go full throttle at 2500 rpm Dave? Even at Sebring Turn 17 for example 4th gear at the bridge about 68ish mph I believe is around 4500-4800 or so if fine...go full throttle PDK will be cool.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:09 AM
mdrums
Race Director

I'm just trying to get you all to understand PDK a little bit better that's all. It's not perfect I know but it is dang good and reliable....how 'bout those pressure plates 3.8RS guys?!?! LOL
Old 02-21-2013, 12:11 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 163 Likes on 81 Posts

Not meaning to be disagreeable; for one thing I was genuinely curious as to whether the Ferrari would allow you to lug the engine if you mashed the throttle in a taller gear at relatively low RPM. Will it? Also, just to be clear, the only time PDK will force a downshift is if you floor it in a situation where you are in an obviously taller gear and lower RPM than is appropriate for the throttle you are applying. In the example you state it's unlikely that you'd be applying full throttle while trying to balance the back end of the car, right?

The point is that the occasions where you get truly unwanted downshifts are few. Every so often, for example, exiting a very slow corner at WOT in 2nd gear I will get a kickdown to first that I wouldn't have attempted with a MT. If there's any upside to this, it's that PDK does the downshift and subsequent upshift so quickly, and with no destabilization of the chassis, that you end up being faster than if you'd stayed in 2nd. Whether someone thinks that's outweighed by the fact that the transmission did something they didn't request, is another matter.

Edit: I just saw where Mike has already made some of these points as well or better than I did.....
Old 02-21-2013, 12:14 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

Im thinking the 991GT3 will share the same centerlock system as 991Cup.... One would like to think....

Worst case if it is still the 997 system it will be a nice mod to install the 991 Cup center locks and wheels...

As for PDK, if anybody thinks that it will be boring then they are just not driving fast enough
Old 02-21-2013, 12:41 AM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I was genuinely curious as to whether the Ferrari would allow you to lug the engine if you mashed the throttle in a taller gear at relatively low RPM. Will it?
Unless the rpm is below 1250, it will not downshift when in manual mode. For example, if you mat the throttle in 5th gear at 1000 rpm, it will down shift. But, if you mat the throttle in 3rd gear at 1500 rpm, it will not downshift.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:42 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by tcsracing1

As for PDK, if anybody thinks that it will be boring then they are just not driving fast enough
Quite the opposite, maybe we need something to hold us back and keep our engagement.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:01 AM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I prefer manual, but maybe I can live with PDK if Porsche makes me. I will need a few PDK track days to decide. If I can't live with it I keep my car. It will still have a few more HP and down force than the 991 to overcome speed difference, although in straight line I'm a slow shifter and can barely keep up with a well sorted GTS, so the is no doubt it is faster, but also easier, so that may bore me.

CL's offer no benefits, except for no more broken studs and stripped wheel bolts and no need for a gun that you have to keep charged, but I don't mind them at all. I've seen no issues on the CL's save for the manufacturing defects now corrected with the recall and the user errors on the 510 non RS GT3's. the 991 is all wide body, so maybe there is more to it than just the RS uprights? Both the defect and operator error are Porsches fault because the car did not come with the right tools ($400) and clear instructions.

Another negatives is greasing the nuts, but you don't have to do it each time and if you are careful you can do it bare handed, but I think most of us use gloves to swap wheels.
The benefit is that they look cool and no more broken studs and stripped bolts.

If a no cost option I would still pick CL, but I certainly would not pay more for it. If it would come with 5 lugs that would be fine too.
The danger and difficulty level of dealing with the CL IMHO is greatly overblown, it cost me no more time to swap wheels than 5 lugs. But we already have a challenge between NJGT and myself that he claims to swap 2 sets faster than my one swap that he will lose. I'll try to make it happen as soon as my car is back from the shop.
Dude you know I respect you and appreciate all your car savy but I dont think someone can change or rotate a set of center lock wheels (correctly per porsche specs) faster than 5 lug with an impact and a torque wrench. Id be willing to bet a few shots on that. Whats the worse that could happen. We do more shots....
Old 02-21-2013, 01:05 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by stujelly
Dude you know I respect you and appreciate all your car savy but I dont think someone can change or rotate a set of center lock wheels (correctly per porsche specs) faster than 5 lug with an impact and a torque wrench. Id be willing to bet a few shots on that. Whats the worse that could happen. We do more shots....
It`s all about the tube of lube. Brings so much more engagement to the act.

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 PDK & Centerlock Debate