Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Go Pro Hero 3 Issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 07:33 PM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 628 Likes on 302 Posts
Default Go Pro Hero 3 Issues

So I went ahead and bought the Hero 3 with the suction cup mount for the Chin Homestead event this past weekend. What a disappointment!
Read all the online info suggesting spot metering on. Look at how poor the video was with such poor clarity of the track!
Also there is a MAJOR issue with crackling in the audio section that GoPro is working on a fix for. It appears to be linked to our cars ECU and electrical systems.

Old 02-13-2013, 07:49 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Is it mounted from the back window or roll bar?
Old 02-13-2013, 08:00 PM
aviography
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

The problem is not "clarity", it's the "exposure", the exposure is adjusted to the interior of the car from this clip, the camera cannot expose for both interior and exterior at the same time when it's so much darker inside the car ....., maybe the center "spot" is on the dashboard and that's where the camera locked in its exposure setting.

Not familiar with the GoPros so can'trecommend if any settings need/can be adjusted to compensate, usually I would dial in at least one f-stop under-exposure for a still camera to offset the exposure difference.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:10 PM
medpilot105
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aviography
The problem is not "clarity", it's the "exposure", the exposure is adjusted to the interior of the car from this clip, the camera cannot expose for both interior and exterior at the same time when it's so much darker inside the car ....., maybe the center "spot" is on the dashboard and that's where the camera locked in its exposure setting.
+1. This is what I was thinking. I'd try adjusting the camera's tilt up so that the center of its lens/lightsensor/screen (whatever) is able to capture a little more light above your dashboard. I'm guessing it would just be a small adjustment.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:17 PM
medpilot105
Instructor

Hmmm... I think I misspoke on my previous post because I just checked my settings on my Hero 2. I'm using center weighted and spot metering is off to capture the vid below. Mounted to roll bar, fwiw.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:17 PM
gstahl
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes, the center spot is on the dashboard, effectively it is at the same location as the play arrow in the video posted on the web.

Also I always use the medium or narrow FOV as the wide is just too wide for in car. Further back the narrower you should be.

This video is shot from an earlier GoPro (I think) mounted to the roll bar but it works the same with the newer models. Ensure the center is pointed at the window and ensure you are on one of the narrower field of views.

I also suggest to mount and check the video first prior to the track day to ensure you are good to go.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:27 PM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

It was mounted on the rear window. The video from the street I tested was much better focused on the road!
Old 02-13-2013, 10:01 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Had the same problem with my gopro 2... The spot metering needs to be on and you need to tilt further up so the centre of your frame cenres out the window... This will fix the exposure for you. I bought the add on screen to help me adjust in car once mounted.... I mount to the rear window too and it works fine...

As for the sound, if you are getting a constant crackling sound, its the buttons that control the cam. They seem to be a little loose internally and move making noise within the case. I put a couple pieces of tape over the buttons so it put a little more tension on them once in the case and that stopped the noise. May be the same prob with the gopro 3...
Old 02-13-2013, 10:21 PM
karmx7
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts

On the Hero housings there are molded ridges on the outside that you can use to better "aim" the unit and make sure the center of the frame is looking through the windshield. I took a permanent marker and darkened the ridges to better see them.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:28 PM
Boostin
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have been playing with the 3 myself. A couple quick thoughts for you...

1. As someone already mentioned, the spot meter setting should be ON. The first vid I took looked like yours and after turning the spot meter on, it looked great.
2. If you have an iPhone or iPod with WiFi, I highly recommend downloading the GoPro app. It's amazing. I have my iPhone mounted on the lower left of the window so when I'm strapped in I can turn on Harry's Lap Timer. Now with the GoPro app, I can preview the shot and also start / stop recording, turn the camera on / off, etc. It's a pretty neat little app.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:50 AM
bhgt2
Instructor

I shot this video with Spot Metering on using my GoPro3 (720-60). I could never get something this good from my Hero HD which would give the same results as your first video. My camera was mounted on the rollcage, which I find to give better results than being mounted on the back window.

I used the GoPro app on the iphone to preview the quality before I hit the track. Its very useful.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:44 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Mounted up high on rear window, IIRC 1280/30 mode with medium field of vision and spot metering on.... Gopro 2

Your windscreen must be in the centre of the shot for correct exposure...

Ps. Notice where the youtube play symbol appears on our vids relative to yours? Yours is spot metering your audio system and surrounds....
Old 02-14-2013, 03:51 AM
hesperus
Racer

what mode are you using on your Hero?

re the metering, others have already commented, but you should be in 2k mode, not just the 1080p mode.

when i watched the GoPro promo video and compared it to my own videos shot in 1080p "full HD" mode, i was like, WTF... why is the promo video so much sharper?

then i discovered 2k mode and wow, what a difference that made! files are much larger and even on a MacBook pro, quicktime and native video apps can't play it w/o stuttering. but VLC seems to handle the files fine, and the quality is truly MUCH better.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:07 AM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

The Hero 3 doesnt have 2k mode. I was at 1080/30. Spot metering was on but I think I aimed the "center" to low in the car and thats why it focused on the dash and not the lovely track outside. As far as the sound, I taped it, put cotton around it, used different cases and the crackling stays on. I went so far as to record myself going with the car and then, while moving, turn the car off and the crackling went away. I have spoken to GoPro's engineering guys, sent them the video, and they are aware of this issue. The tape isnt going to create a Faraday cage to protect the unit from electrical interference.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:45 PM
GT3 Techno
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Hero3 Black Edition has a 2.7k mode (30fps or 24fps).

See the attached Manual.
Attached Images

Quick Reply: Go Pro Hero 3 Issues