Help: monitors "not ready", dealer can't fix either

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 10:34 PM
monochrom3
Rennlist Member

Received 227 Likes on 91 Posts
Default Help: monitors "not ready", dealer can't fix either

So, Cliff's notes:
  • Bought my car, CPO, at the end of October from New Orleans dealer.
  • Dealer doesn't get the title to me or taxes paid until mid-January.
  • Didn't go to get the car inspected (Texas state inspection) until I knew the tax office had my tax payment.
  • Car does not pass because 4 status monitors show "not ready" (O2 htr, O2, cat monitor, secondary air)
  • Tried the drive cycle procedure multiple times, no change
  • Took it to the dealer, and they could only get 1 of the 4 to go to ready status
  • Local dealer said it's likely the car has an aftermarket tune, and they spoke with the New Orleans service manager who said it has a Fabspeed tune (no details provided)
  • Local dealer said that I have to know exactly what tune is on the car, so they can send my ECU to a tuner to get it flashed back to stock
  • New Orleans said they would have to find someone who could flash the ECU as well.

Yes, I have a lot of initial reactions to this news, especially after waiting months to get the title and tax payment done. So does someone here know the truth of what would need to be done to get my car flashed back to stock and all monitors set to "ready"? From my experience with BMW tunes, it didn't matter what tune one had, the car could be flashed back to stock without having to know what specific tune was on the car. Any info and/or advice is appreciated!
Old 02-01-2013, 02:47 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

1. NEVER EVER EVER EVER tune any ecu for street car. NEVER. no useful power gain. unless you want whole hog and race it.

2. if i were you, i buy a new ecu from pcna from dealer (they need to program it to your car) and install it back. get the old ecu out and have a chat with the selling dealer. it's not cheap. i fried my ecu in race car (though stock ecu, caught fire, dont ask). i bought a new one and had dealer installed it back on.

sorry to hear the bad news. but the selling dealer should have made that clear to you.

if you still want old ecu, yes, you should be able to flash back to stock without knowing waht's on the ecu now.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:50 AM
DC640
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DId the dealer not disclose to you that ecu was modified? Time to b*tch at them
Old 02-01-2013, 03:53 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Hmm for sure the dealer should have known and mentioned that. A few things you can do. Have the dealer flash the car back to the stock file. You don't need a replacement ecu for that. They don't need to know who or what tune to do it. The only circumstance that would prevent them from being able to is if it was a soldered and encrypted chip. That isn't done these days (not since 06 really). And you should be fine assuming it doesn't have anything else like aftermarket cats not allowing it to be ready. It sounds like whatever tune was put on had adjustments made to the 02 sensitivity likely only due to after market cats which always trigger a cel (so to stop that etc..). Over the years fabspeed has used multiple tuning companies so I would just call them and give them your vin number and they can track it. If it's giac you can also contact them. If its softronic them too. Evo them etc.. They all should have your vin on file and stock file too in which case you could still have them flash it back to stock. If you don't get anywhere send it to me and I'll put a stock file in for you or a tune that doesn't mess with those settings
Old 02-01-2013, 03:57 AM
DC640
Three Wheelin'

U r one nice sharky to offer that. =)
Old 02-01-2013, 09:40 AM
monochrom3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
1. NEVER EVER EVER EVER tune any ecu for street car. NEVER. no useful power gain. unless you want whole hog and race it.

2. if i were you, i buy a new ecu from pcna from dealer (they need to program it to your car) and install it back. get the old ecu out and have a chat with the selling dealer. it's not cheap. i fried my ecu in race car (though stock ecu, caught fire, dont ask). i bought a new one and had dealer installed it back on.

sorry to hear the bad news. but the selling dealer should have made that clear to you.

if you still want old ecu, yes, you should be able to flash back to stock without knowing waht's on the ecu now.
I don't care to keep the current tune. Just want the car in stock form as I don't race. Absolutely agree that the dealer should have known, especially since it's through a Porsche dealer as CPO.

Originally Posted by kormaster
DId the dealer not disclose to you that ecu was modified? Time to b*tch at them
No disclosure of this. So far they said they would see what they could do, but I'm trying to cover all my bases at this point.

Originally Posted by sharkster
Hmm for sure the dealer should have known and mentioned that. A few things you can do. Have the dealer flash the car back to the stock file. You don't need a replacement ecu for that. They don't need to know who or what tune to do it. The only circumstance that would prevent them from being able to is if it was a soldered and encrypted chip. That isn't done these days (not since 06 really). And you should be fine assuming it doesn't have anything else like aftermarket cats not allowing it to be ready. It sounds like whatever tune was put on had adjustments made to the 02 sensitivity likely only due to after market cats which always trigger a cel (so to stop that etc..). Over the years fabspeed has used multiple tuning companies so I would just call them and give them your vin number and they can track it. If it's giac you can also contact them. If its softronic them too. Evo them etc.. They all should have your vin on file and stock file too in which case you could still have them flash it back to stock. If you don't get anywhere send it to me and I'll put a stock file in for you or a tune that doesn't mess with those settings
Great info, thank you so much. I hope to be in touch.

Old 02-01-2013, 10:49 AM
triblk6spd
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 10 Posts

Lets take a drive to New Orelans and introduce someone to Smacky Dee!
I wish I could help man. How about I take you to lunch next week....would that help?
Old 02-04-2013, 10:56 AM
Einmalig
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 70 Posts

Strongly suggest contacting Porsche Cars North America customer service to formally document your concern with this purchase. They take the preparation and representation of Porsche CPO vehicles very seriously and regardless of what the selling Porsche Dealer may or may not have know about the ECU in your car, this will ultimately be made right at no expense to you. Had this not been purchased as a Porsche CPO vehicle, you would be at the mercy of the selling Dealer. Good luck!
Old 02-04-2013, 11:03 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Einmalig
Strongly suggest contacting Porsche Cars North America customer service to formally document your concern with this purchase. They take the preparation and representation of Porsche CPO vehicles very seriously and regardless of what the selling Porsche Dealer may or may not have know about the ECU in your car, this will ultimately be made right at no expense to you. Had this not been purchased as a Porsche CPO vehicle, you would be at the mercy of the selling Dealer. Good luck!
This IS what you should do.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:13 AM
monochrom3
Rennlist Member

Thanks all. So far the dealer is working very well with me to get this fixed. If it doesn't turn out nicely, I'll take the recommended next step.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:15 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by monochrom3
I don't care to keep the current tune. Just want the car in stock form as I don't race. Absolutely agree that the dealer should have known, especially since it's through a Porsche dealer as CPO.

No disclosure of this. So far they said they would see what they could do, but I'm trying to cover all my bases at this point.

Great info, thank you so much. I hope to be in touch.

No worries at all and keep us all posted. Sounds like the dealer is going to fix the situation for ya but if not we're here too

See not all sharks bite
Old 02-08-2013, 02:53 PM
monochrom3
Rennlist Member

Quick update: Dealer confirmed with previous owner that there is a tune for cat bypass. Good thing is that Moorespeed is local to me and is an authorized Evo tuner. Moorespeed was able to get the stock file from Evo. So, the car goes to Moorespeed on Monday. Hopefully everything works out just fine, and can get the car inspected.

Quick Reply: Help: monitors "not ready", dealer can't fix either