Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Chris Harris on Singer

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 03:14 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The car is for wealthy r gruppe types not porsche collectors so to speak
Interesting that people are saying they are too much money - clearly singer is not getting rich on these cars...
Cosworth motors
$30k wiring harness
LMP lights
Cf body
Bespoke interiors
Etc
$300k is a bargain if their vision is your desire
A proper air cooled hot rod done to a very high level is $125 - 150k all day long - that is with an oem harness and interior etc, oh and not a full cf body

Ask Gamroth or any shop to build you a car that is finished to the level of a singer and no way it's less money

Ninemeister, Rothsport, etc... These shops can build a metal or fiberglass bodied car with a big motor and big brakes for less money but so could singer if they were not obsessed with their level of excellence

As to those of you questioning the value proposition by saying "I would rather have _______ or ________ and _________ and _______" you are not the target buyer. Most of the cars mentioned are mass production by comparison.

I would pay the $300 for a big pow singer if I had the coin - there is no cooler road car in my opinion
Old 01-19-2013, 03:23 PM
kk2
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by PJS996GT3
The car is for wealthy r gruppe types not porsche collectors so to speak
Interesting that people are saying they are too much money - clearly singer is not getting rich on these cars...
Cosworth motors
$30k wiring harness
LMP lights
Cf body
Bespoke interiors
Etc
$300k is a bargain if their vision is your desire
A proper air cooled hot rod done to a very high level is $125 - 150k all day long - that is with an oem harness and interior etc, oh and not a full cf body

Ask Gamroth or any shop to build you a car that is finished to the level of a singer and no way it's less money

Ninemeister, Rothsport, etc... These shops can build a metal or fiberglass bodied car with a big motor and big brakes for less money but so could singer if they were not obsessed with their level of excellence

As to those of you questioning the value proposition by saying "I would rather have _______ or ________ and _________ and _______" you are not the target buyer. Most of the cars mentioned are mass production by comparison.

I would pay the $300 for a big pow singer if I had the coin - there is no cooler road car in my opinion
Thank you.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:55 AM
Turn3 Autosport
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What PJ said ^^^^.

Easy to spend 125-150k on a hotrod that uses essentially readily available parts. Sure, some custom fab but basically something that many quality shops could duplicate. We have one such build underway right now.

But to do something as completely unique as the singer requires massive $$$. I know how much I spent (and some partners as well) creating the wheels you see on that car. That is only one part of the car and my guess is they spent at least that much on a few aspects of the car. They would need to sell many examples at 300K+ just to start paying themselves back is my guess. We are looking at people who are emotionally motivated to provide something they feel no one else can at their own financial pain. The car may not appeal to everyone, but to a few who desire something truely unique and have the means and don't want something off the showroom floor, it could be the perfect answer.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:34 AM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Drew_K
Cool video and amazing cars, but $300K-$500K seems pretty crazy.
+1000

Although, maybe you can recoup some of the purchase price by winning some drift competitions...
Old 01-20-2013, 09:27 AM
gt3rs.
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

That is a dream car for me but cant pay that price!!
Old 01-20-2013, 02:33 PM
Nan P
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

The Singer is amazing & beautiful! It's the IT car right now & I love it!
If I had the money, I'd have one.
Another great review by CH; now I'm waiting for the 991GT3.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:25 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Turn3 Autosport
The car may not appeal to everyone, but to a few who desire something truely unique and have the means and don't want something off the showroom floor, it could be the perfect answer.
I guess I don't get it, it is cool, but I don't see it appreciating/having collector value as a 73 rs or gull wing mb or prehaps a cgt or even a 993 turbo/gt3/2 rs in the future. I think being a 'Porsche' with the motorsport heritage is important. I personally would not value a 'ruf' or 'andial' conversions much more over a clean stock car apart from the perfomance perspective (I understand the singer is much more than a simple conversion). Maybe the problem is that it looks too much like a 911? People put CF body parts on all the time in their cars and complete CF body parts are readily available. Stock wiring harnesses seem to work fine. Is the wiring gold? I understand making wiring harnesses are expensive - I heard making a wiring harness for a motec set up can cost thousands). The average yearly wage in Canada is? 50G. I can't imagine someone not being able to built a wireing harness say in a month! I just can't see myself having more fun/feel more special driving one of these vs a well sorted 964 turbo for example.

But, I guess there is a market for these. You know I've been fussing about a engine build/buying a extra engine that I don't need for years. But every time I come close, I start thinking for the money, I could get a another car, maybe a 997, F-car - 328/TR 512/360. Some people have difficulty putting food on the table. So maybe it's the same sickness, just at a different level.

Quick Reply: Chris Harris on Singer