Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT2 RS - Carbon Fiber Front Fenders

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 12:31 AM
secretcollector
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default GT2 RS - Carbon Fiber Front Fenders

I'm interested in the pros and cons of this option, both from a practical standpoint and as a value item.

Thanks everyone.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:22 AM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMHO
Must have if possible - meaning I would not walk away from the right car if it did not have them but I would really want them if I was after a gt2rs
Pros - lighter (obviously), awesome,
Cons - none that I can think of... Expensive to replace but would not stop me from wanting them
Old 12-30-2012, 07:06 AM
Yannick-HST
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 56 Posts

Pro:
-They're a bit lighter

Con:
-You can't install the Cup fender-extensions anymore to run wider front-wheels

I'd get them if possible! But they weren't ordered on many cars cause they were a bit expensive...
Old 12-30-2012, 08:36 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,588 Likes on 736 Posts

Std. on all 4.0.
Prettier than the stick on wideners
Old 12-30-2012, 09:36 AM
manouk
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Make the car have a cleaner look
Lighter as mentioned but u wouldn't feel the difference
Doesn't affect resale value as of yet if u have them or don't
Once boost kicks in ul say what carbon fiber fenders
Old 12-30-2012, 10:35 AM
secretcollector
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Can you visually tell much of a difference on the GT2, as they're all painted over in the body color by the factory?

According to PCNA, which we all know is iffy information at best in these instances, only about 10% of the US cars were ordered with them, meaning about a dozen or so have them.

Manouk, I'm curious to know what you mean by knowing the difference once the boost kicks in? Just because of the weight reduction?

Thanks guys.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:29 AM
manouk
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Just meant ul b traveling at a very high speed and having too much fun to think about the fenders.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:04 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,491 Likes on 2,272 Posts

sounds liked r a collector, let me be abundantly clear. u would b a moron to not get cf fenders. I have two rs, one has c f one doesn't. the non cf one is DOUBLE SIDED ON. I'm not exaggerating. they fall off.my did. to replace the fender flare lip ain't much cheaper than fender. goto Suncoast and look at ext price.

visually, yes. u will have to be blind not b able to tell the difference.

functionally, the stick on is not same as cup fenders. cup fenders are cut then ext glued on. str et cars are just glued on. it PURELY for looks.

the only downside is cf one piece fender cost more money. other than that there's no reason not to.

btw, yes, it's painted, but there's a CLEAR line of attachment. you know it's glued on. my 4.0 is parked 6" away from 3.8. one has glue on one is one piece CF. it's abundantly clear which is which fender.

the reason that 2RS has so few CF ordered is b/c 1. it's a very $$$ option, 7k or so iirc. 2. until you see them side by side, you really dont know what you are buying or not buying and when the car is delivered to buyers, well, it's too late.

if you intend to drive it, then it really wont matter.
if you were to collect it and i mean putting into a collector with very very low miles. i personally will not consider any car without CF fenders on 2RS. while you can add them afterwards, but it will not show on the CoA and the moroney, thus it's not factory delivered thus it wont be any good for collecting. while this all sound weird on RL, b4 i started thrashing my cars on track, i was a concourse guy and often chat with collectors. none of them will try to save the $7k on a $250k car. just my two cents.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:12 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

i didnt know it was an option. Thought it was standard.

If i were looking for a GT2RS, It would be important to me.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:09 PM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
sounds liked r a collector, let me be abundantly clear. u would b a moron to not get cf fenders. I have two rs, one has c f one doesn't. the non cf one is DOUBLE SIDED ON. I'm not exaggerating. they fall off.my did. to replace the fender flare lip ain't much cheaper than fender. goto Suncoast and look at ext price.

visually, yes. u will have to be blind not b able to tell the difference.

functionally, the stick on is not same as cup fenders. cup fenders are cut then ext glued on. str et cars are just glued on. it PURELY for looks.

the only downside is cf one piece fender cost more money. other than that there's no reason not to.

btw, yes, it's painted, but there's a CLEAR line of attachment. you know it's glued on. my 4.0 is parked 6" away from 3.8. one has glue on one is one piece CF. it's abundantly clear which is which fender.

the reason that 2RS has so few CF ordered is b/c 1. it's a very $$$ option, 7k or so iirc. 2. until you see them side by side, you really dont know what you are buying or not buying and when the car is delivered to buyers, well, it's too late.

if you intend to drive it, then it really wont matter.
if you were to collect it and i mean putting into a collector with very very low miles. i personally will not consider any car without CF fenders on 2RS. while you can add them afterwards, but it will not show on the CoA and the moroney, thus it's not factory delivered thus it wont be any good for collecting. while this all sound weird on RL, b4 i started thrashing my cars on track, i was a concourse guy and often chat with collectors. none of them will try to save the $7k on a $250k car. just my two cents.
Not exactly true.

The fender extensions are clipped in and also use automotive trim tape. The RS steel fenders (the proper ones with the extensions added) have additional tire clearance along the top edge, hence the fender extensions. There is a difference between the steel RS fender and the standard fender. They are not the same part numbers.

If you're a concours guy, it doesn't really matter as long as your car matches the spec sheet.

If you're a collector, it doesn't really matter unless you can't live without the carbon fenders.

Are they worth it? Only you can decide. I don't think so personally, but others do.

In my opinion, of course.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:37 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Nick Wong
Not exactly true.

The fender extensions are clipped in and also use automotive trim tape. The RS steel fenders (the proper ones with the extensions added) have additional tire clearance along the top edge, hence the fender extensions. There is a difference between the steel RS fender and the standard fender. They are not the same part numbers.

If you're a concours guy, it doesn't really matter as long as your car matches the spec sheet.

If you're a collector, it doesn't really matter unless you can't live without the carbon fenders.

Are they worth it? Only you can decide. I don't think so personally, but others do.

In my opinion, of course.
hum... i know the part numbers aren't the same.
but on my 3.8RS as you know has the stick on extenders. pehraps my was defective, but BOTH side were double sided taped on, no clips! both delaminated slightly and got worse. dealer warrantied.

when the extender came off the fender was not cut, there were no extra clearance with or without the lip attached. you will hit the fender (the part that the extender is glued to). conversely on the cup fenders, if u put hand under the glued on extender, you will feel the the jagged cut up lip. now i wonder what car i have......

i meant to say i was a concourse guy, but that's not why i would want CF fender. as you said if it match spec sheet it's ok.

i was more pointing to that if the car was going into a serious collection, the rarity, the few lbs lighter wt making it supposedly more pure, blah blah paper advantage would matter, if all else the same.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:42 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,745 Likes on 922 Posts

Originally Posted by PJS996GT3
IMHO
Must have if possible - meaning I would not walk away from the right car if it did not have them but I would really want them if I was after a gt2rs
Pros - lighter (obviously), awesome,
Cons - none that I can think of... Expensive to replace but would not stop me from wanting them
Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Std. on all 4.0.
Prettier than the stick on wideners
+1
Old 12-31-2012, 10:41 AM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

hum... i know the part numbers aren't the same.
but on my 3.8RS as you know has the stick on extenders. pehraps my was defective, but BOTH side were double sided taped on, no clips! both delaminated slightly and got worse. dealer warrantied.

when the extender came off the fender was not cut, there were no extra clearance with or without the lip attached. you will hit the fender (the part that the extender is glued to). conversely on the cup fenders, if u put hand under the glued on extender, you will feel the the jagged cut up lip. now i wonder what car i have......

i meant to say i was a concourse guy, but that's not why i would want CF fender. as you said if it match spec sheet it's ok.

i was more pointing to that if the car was going into a serious collection, the rarity, the few lbs lighter wt making it supposedly more pure, blah blah paper advantage would matter, if all else the same.
Mooty-

FYI see this post I wrote in another thread (please pardon the tone, I was replying to an idiotic post)- https://rennlist.com/forums/9849826-post39.html

Note the picture, unpainted new fender is the RS, two holes, one at the corner marker, the other at the bottom leading edge. Those are for the retaining clips on the extensions. Also note the higher wheel clearance around the steel RS fender opening.

The one real negative (and the reason why I didn't get them instead of the steel RS fenders plus extensions) is cost, and thus replacement cost. If it's a collector car, no problem, but if its going to be driven, that has to be taken into account. $6k plus paint and fitting is quite a lot vs $1100 plus paint and fitting, for OE parts that do virtually the same job.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:54 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

nick,good data.
yes, cost is issue. i driv emy cars and if i were to get 2RS i would have gone the cheaper way as well. that's if we drove our cars lol.

damn, i see your point on fenders. now there are three versions. i always thought there's the cup version and RS/GT version. based on your pic, there's GT3,RS,Cup version! cup is similar to RS, but not only the opening is higher up like RS, it's actually CUT (jagged edges) even higher. oh, they there's grand am version too.... i give up. just when i figured i got them all covered....

i see the hold for the clip now. there was no clip on my de-laminated ones (actually two, as both side de-laminated) must be a friday afternoon b4 happy hour production car.... perhaps the lack of clip caused my initial de-lamination and my continued track abuse separated it more.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:05 AM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

nick,good data.
yes, cost is issue. i driv emy cars and if i were to get 2RS i would have gone the cheaper way as well. that's if we drove our cars lol.

damn, i see your point on fenders. now there are three versions. i always thought there's the cup version and RS/GT version. based on your pic, there's GT3,RS,Cup version! cup is similar to RS, but not only the opening is higher up like RS, it's actually CUT (jagged edges) even higher. oh, they there's grand am version too.... i give up. just when i figured i got them all covered....

i see the hold for the clip now. there was no clip on my de-laminated ones (actually two, as both side de-laminated) must be a friday afternoon b4 happy hour production car.... perhaps the lack of clip caused my initial de-lamination and my continued track abuse separated it more.
No problem, that sucks they used standard fenders on your 3.8. I looked at the Cup fenders too, but I don't like race car body panel fitment, looks like crap up close unless the body shop puts in a huge amount of time fixing the problems. Cup fenders are indeed cut higher, RS fenders only need to clear the tire edge when turning, Cup ones need to clear the tire tread as well.

Data point- RS steel fenders cost the same as standard steel fenders. The extra cost is for the extensions- a set of those costs MORE than a fender!

Don't forget bad cars can be a Monday hangover build too!

Quick Reply: GT2 RS - Carbon Fiber Front Fenders