Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

4.0's For Sale

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 11:22 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Al HURT123
Not a day goes buy that I don't regret selling my 11RS. It is the quintessential trackable daily driver. LSD,exhaust, half cage and you are set. I'm giving the racing thing a go and we'll see what happens but I'm certain 997.2rs will be in my garage again hopefully soon.

Peter...your car is awesome. See you at winterfest.
See you there Al, is it the 9th yet?

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
Amen.
That was well said and i couldnt agree more!
Great minds...

Originally Posted by mooty
reter is right.
dep'n is the smallest thing to worry about when you actually drive the car.
reter is wrong.
2000 slick. what kind of crap you on? michelin blue, shipped, mounted, nitrogen charged is more like $2800-$3000 a set ;-)
reter is wrong.
those who dont drive their cars, dep'n is very fun to play with. it's like going to vegas. once in a purple moon, you will hit the jack pot and win enough money to just buy out mr. gates and put windows out of its misery.
reter is right.
drive and b happy. tomorrow lighting may land on you.
Mooty logic. Cant argue!

Originally Posted by Nizer
All very logical. Except that you didn't need a 4.0 until Jaun made you cry on every straight. Let's see what happens when the 991 RS makes you cry.

No logic in wanting to be fast, just emotion
No, after Juan let me graciously drive his car at Sebring I decided I did noit need it. Cant tell speed difference on track, only when you are around 3.8's do you realize its faster. Experience is the same. The GT2RS on the other hand... Someone let me drive on on track and I'll decide.

Originally Posted by ELPORSCHA
So, it went for $210. That's $60k below asking! More inline with reality, I guess.
No option base car started at $187.5K Most are $210 +++... $210 is wishful thinking.

Originally Posted by jp175
Peter is "on the money" do what you want to do.....life is short! Worrying or better yet calculating speculation about depreciation/appreciation is ************ of the brain. You want to run RA1s do it! You want to run slicks do it! You want to get a Cup Car, do it and stop talking about it! I like the 4.0 but it is not worth the $$$ over an RS or a normal GT3, but who cares. Will it depreciate, yes but that was not part of my equation. My equation results in what gives me the most fun.
Yes, different point of views for different incomes. For most a 4.0 does not change their expendable income much, for me it does but still wortth it to me. Not to some, for some it may seem a bargain compared to the other cars in the fleet. I only have one. The best one.

Originally Posted by azmurciev12
i have both the MP4 and 4.0. i think the 4.0 is still the better driver's car but that's probably because i like its analog feel and sound. there is weight on the steering, the crisp and tight manual tranny and just the best mix of old world analog feel with current technology. the car makes you work a little bit and the drive feels rewarding.

the MP4 on the other hand, is the best all around supercar/exotic there is. it's super easy to drive, the most comfortable of its peers and probably the fastest among them as well (it did beat my 700hp FGT at the mile which was surprising and every other car put against it 458, RUF RT12, GT2RS). so the package is very good in that you really can use it all the time and not get tired of driving.... whereas the 4.0 is more of an occasional driving car that will put a bigger smile on your face.

as for 4.0 values, i think it will be the strongest of all the modern day porsches. it will depreciate for sure and it's real collectibility will be seen 10-15 years later but i reckon you are not bound to lose much money on it if you purchase one today at a reasonable price or close to MSRP.
Makes a lot of sense, thank you. Was parked next to a McLaren at Road America. He had a problem with his door not closing right, Kudos for McLaren to send 2 mechanics to the track, but even after he got it fixed the car dumped coolant after a few laps. Surely fantasticly fast and great to drive on the road, but a daily driver that is trackable? Not on a budget in real life it seems. Most people dont track the cars or not very hard I suppose, but if I would not track the cars I dont see the point and sorry but I see the McLaren as a luxury car with the stats and looks of a sports car that is priced better than the competitors.

Originally Posted by Nizer
Agreed......on the swap part.......
+1.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:24 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Just drive the car and enjoy it. Personally I couldn't have a 4.0 and NOT take it to the track. You only live once, life is precious so enjoy it
Old 01-02-2013, 11:10 PM
richk
Drifting

Received 882 Likes on 366 Posts

The white car at The Auto Gallery had a 224k window...sold for 254k!
Old 01-02-2013, 11:22 PM
mklaskin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=mooty;but i am not the sharpest tool in the shed for sure.[/QUOTE]

Maybe not, but you've definitely got the Swiss Army Knife of Logic. At least here...
Old 01-03-2013, 08:30 AM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by richk
Jesus Christ..man--how is this possible ? The 4.0L is really one the best "value" cars for the moment.

When I still had my 3.6 GT3 I had a good offer to directly buy the 4.0L..at a really good price..oh boy..seems like my biggest mistake in life..
Old 01-03-2013, 11:11 AM
DRPM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by richk
Wow 254k !
Supply and demand I guess.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:54 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 798 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by jp175
Peter is "on the money" do what you want to do.....life is short! Worrying or better yet calculating speculation about depreciation/appreciation is ************ of the brain. You want to run RA1s do it! You want to run slicks do it! You want to get a Cup Car, do it and stop talking about it! I like the 4.0 but it is not worth the $$$ over an RS or a normal GT3, but who cares. Will it depreciate, yes but that was not part of my equation. My equation results in what gives me the most fun.
Words of wisdom. Nothing we do makes sense financially it is all in the heart. Hence the reason I still drive a Fugly 6GT3 puts a smile on my face and being from the underprivileged group the lower buy in and runnig costs don't hurt either.

Peter
Old 01-03-2013, 01:55 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 292 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by 85Gold
Words of wisdom. Nothing we do makes sense financially it is all in the heart. Hence the reason I still drive a Fugly 6GT3 puts a smile on my face and being from the underprivileged group the lower buy in and runnig costs don't hurt either.

Peter
996 GT3 is not fugly
Old 01-03-2013, 05:04 PM
ELPORSCHA
Racer

Originally Posted by Izzone
996 GT3 is not fugly
Patronizing is healthy practice
Old 01-03-2013, 11:07 PM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

996 GT3 is not fugly
I agree. More sleeper, bigger surprise.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:47 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 798 Likes on 454 Posts

996 GT3 is not fugly
Hey I own one so I can call it whatever I want. No hips and fried egg headlights don't make for good looks but at least the wing doesn't look like the Taco Shell on the 7.1GT3

Peter
Old 01-04-2013, 06:08 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 292 Likes on 147 Posts

996 GT3 is not fugly
Hey I own one so I can call it whatever I want. No hips and fried egg headlights don't make for good looks but at least the wing doesn't look like the Taco Shell on the 7.1GT3

Peter
Ill be joining ur fugly group soon
Old 01-04-2013, 07:15 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

Peter

Haha my thoughts exactly but I liked the taco. I'd only have one if that was all budget allowed, still the best bang for the buck for the past 8/9 years!!

The 996 is the fugliest of all p cars but yours is the prettiest of them all.

I never looked at aero beetles until I figured out they are the only real deal for track events. Ugly or not. I think all 997 are beautiful and the RS even more so.

Than again I think 964 is next most beautiful and my wife still dresses me.....
Old 01-04-2013, 10:40 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

i like the 964rs in factory dark pink, does that me weird?
stock 996 gt3 is a beautiful car. it's very subtle and svelte. 997 is much more purposeful.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:41 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,839 Likes on 954 Posts

No hips and fried egg headlights don't make for good looks

Peter
Yes, but you have the good eggs.

Quick Reply: 4.0's For Sale