Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,690 Likes on 2,338 Posts

replacing a 40 with mclaren, the oner clealy has zero knowledge of automobile
Old 12-29-2012, 07:19 PM
The Baron
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sold my Riviera Blue 4.0 last week.

Ordered the car the way I wanted, owned and enjoyed it for over a year and very very happy with the 4.0

I'm sure that I will regret selling this car but I got a price that I couldn't refuse ...... well over my MSRP but still less than most others that are loaded with bling.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:23 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
replacing a 40 with mclaren, the oner clealy has zero knowledge of automobile
that 4.0 was extra virgin.
and the shoes matched the car....

it's not surprising though.
a lot of these guys are just players/fakes/clones who want the latest fad to look cool amongst their shallow, jet-set friends. they usually don't appreciate anything, because everything was given to them. the real enthusiast works hard and has a deeper outlook in life.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:36 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,651 Likes on 767 Posts

I smile when I see people speculationg about appreciation or depreciation.
The real expense of our track hobby is not depreciation. I probably spend 25% of the new 4.0 price a year and that is probably wishful thinking. Too scared to add it up.

It's not about the speed or lap time or investment value to me, its about having the car I want. No option lightweigh 4.0's are pretty rare.
A set of $2K slicks per weekend would fix the laptimes, but I prefer to run $900 a set NT01 RA1 that will last about 2 weekends rear and 4 weekends front. I have enough to last me for years. Paid for and stored.

991RS will be faster. So is Mc Laren, Fiat, GTR TTS Corvette, Viper and a few more..
The GTR Fiat and McLaren are too artificial for me (I can't stand the auto open/close exhaust sound on our cars as it is), plus no track side support. The new Corvette or Viper can be great, but not much support and the thought of going into a Chevy or Dodge dealership with a 3 year warranty makes my left eye flicker. Those are not even acceptable for dropping off the dually.
I will happily point them all by to try to stay close enough to them until they overheat for the point by :-)

There is just no trackable daily driver as alternative to the RS today, except 3.8RS. The 3.8RS is the smart maney value proposition and it is the prefect car to me. Then they build the 4.0 and that ones just a little nicer and I spend enough time in my car and my hobby to easily justify the price but I still run cheap tires :-). I dont care about the depreciation much. The new luxury car/suv I would otherwise buy/lease every 2-3 years to putter around Florida or my wifes mid level luxury cars for that matter will probably depreciate more then the 4.0 that is both my dd and only hobby. Most track junkies modify their cars more than I do and they quickly become track dedicated cars and they also have another luxury car for (longer) commutes, I don't. LSD and exhaust only.

I am not interested until the 991.1RS is running for a couple of years, maybe by the time the 991.2RS will arrive it will be proven to be fun to drive still and durable. Fast, no doubt!.
The 991.2RS will be introduced in 2015? So maybe the 991.2 RS will arrive well sorted out and proven by the time my car runs out of CPO warranty in 2017. I hope it will have 50K miles and even if it depreciates 100% it will have been worth it.

But than again I can also imagine an old fashioned true dry sump 50K mile 4.0 without PDK, Torque vectoring, Turbo's, Self leveling, no-feeling electronic steering and the rest if the alphabet keeping up with the modern stuff by just regearing, some header, tune and a good setup for slicks ;-)
Yes, warranty will expire and the hubs will time out as will it need some other stuff like axles and LSD, but nothing that is so expensive it will stop me.

Until than I will happily point by the 991's, other track dedictated 997' and race car's

Last edited by TRAKCAR; 12-30-2012 at 08:26 PM.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:16 PM
gtdoggie
Advanced

Very well put Peter. The monthly payment on my 4.0 RS is some of the stupidest and smartest money that I "waste" every month.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:43 PM
Big Al HURT123
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not a day goes buy that I don't regret selling my 11RS. It is the quintessential trackable daily driver. LSD,exhaust, half cage and you are set. I'm giving the racing thing a go and we'll see what happens but I'm certain 997.2rs will be in my garage again hopefully soon.

Peter...your car is awesome. See you at winterfest.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:09 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
The real expense of our track hobby is not depreciation. I probably spend 25% of the new 4.0 price a year and that is probably wishful thinking. Too scared to add it up.

It's not about the speed or lap time or investment value to me, its about having the car I want. No option lightweigh 4.0's are pretty rare.
A set of $2K slicks per weekend would fix the laptimes, but I prefer to run $900 a set NT01 RA1 that will last about 2 weekends rear and 4 weekends front. I have enough to last me for years. Paid for and stored.

991RS will be faster. So is Mc Laren, Fiat, GTR TTS Corvette, Viper and a few more..
The GTR Fiat and McLaren are too artificial for me (I can't stand the auto open/close exhaust sound on our cars as it is), plus no track side support. The new Corvette or Viper can be great, but not much support and the thought of going into a Chevy or Dodge dealership with a 3 year warranty makes my left eye flicker. Those are not even acceptable for dropping off the dually.
I will happily point them all by to try to stay close enough to them until they overheat for the point by :-)

There is just no trackable daily driver as alternative to the RS today, except 3.8RS. The 3.8RS is the smart maney value proposition and it is the prefect car to me. Then they build the 4.0 and that ones just a little nicer and I spend enough time in my car and my hobby to easily justify the price but I still run cheap tires :-). I dont care about the depreciation much. The new luxury car/suv I would otherwise buy/lease every 2-3 years to putter around Florida or my wifes mid level luxury cars for that matter will probably depreciate more then the 4.0 that is both my dd and only hobby. Most track junkies modify their cars more than I do and they quickly become track dedicated cars and they also have another luxury car for (longer) commutes, I don't. LSD and exhaust only.

I am not interested until the 991.1RS is running for a couple of years, maybe by the time the 991.2RS will arrive it will be proven to be fun to drive still and durable. Fast, no doubt!.
The 991.2RS will be introduced in 2015? So maybe the 991.2 RS will arrive well sorted out and proven by the time my car runs out of CPO warranty in 2017. I hope it will have 50K miles and even if it depreciates 100% it will have been worth it.

But than again I can also imagine an old fashioned true dry sump 50K mile 4.0 without PDK, Torque vectoring, Turbo's, Self leveling, no-feeling electronic steering and the rest if the alphabet keeping up with the modern stuff by just regearing, some header, tune and a good setup for slicks ;-)
Yes, warranty will expire and the hubs will time out as will it need some other stuff like axles and LSD, but nothing that is so expensive it will stop me.

Until than I will happily point by the 991's, other track dedictated 997' and race car's
Amen.
That was well said and i couldnt agree more!
Old 12-30-2012, 11:14 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

reter is right.
dep'n is the smallest thing to worry about when you actually drive the car.
reter is wrong.
2000 slick. what kind of crap you on? michelin blue, shipped, mounted, nitrogen charged is more like $2800-$3000 a set ;-)
reter is wrong.
those who dont drive their cars, dep'n is very fun to play with. it's like going to vegas. once in a purple moon, you will hit the jack pot and win enough money to just buy out mr. gates and put windows out of its misery.
reter is right.
drive and b happy. tomorrow lighting may land on you.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:39 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,876 Likes on 970 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR

All very logical. Except that you didn't need a 4.0 until Jaun made you cry on every straight. Let's see what happens when the 991 RS makes you cry.

No logic in wanting to be fast, just emotion
Old 12-30-2012, 11:46 PM
azmurciev12
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

i have both the MP4 and 4.0. i think the 4.0 is still the better driver's car but that's probably because i like its analog feel and sound. there is weight on the steering, the crisp and tight manual tranny and just the best mix of old world analog feel with current technology. the car makes you work a little bit and the drive feels rewarding.

the MP4 on the other hand, is the best all around supercar/exotic there is. it's super easy to drive, the most comfortable of its peers and probably the fastest among them as well (it did beat my 700hp FGT at the mile which was surprising and every other car put against it 458, RUF RT12, GT2RS). so the package is very good in that you really can use it all the time and not get tired of driving.... whereas the 4.0 is more of an occasional driving car that will put a bigger smile on your face.

as for 4.0 values, i think it will be the strongest of all the modern day porsches. it will depreciate for sure and it's real collectibility will be seen 10-15 years later but i reckon you are not bound to lose much money on it if you purchase one today at a reasonable price or close to MSRP.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:46 AM
richk
Drifting

Received 883 Likes on 366 Posts

The white 4.0 that was at the Auto Gallery sold for 30k over sticker today...seems like the market is still pretty damn strong!
Old 12-31-2012, 04:18 AM
ELPORSCHA
Racer

Originally Posted by richk
The white 4.0 that was at the Auto Gallery sold for 30k over sticker today...seems like the market is still pretty damn strong!
So, it went for $210. That's $60k below asking! More inline with reality, I guess.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:03 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by azmurciev12
i have both the MP4 and 4.0. i think the 4.0 is still the better driver's car but that's probably because i like its analog feel and sound. there is weight on the steering, the crisp and tight manual tranny and just the best mix of old world analog feel with current technology. the car makes you work a little bit and the drive feels rewarding.

the MP4 on the other hand, is the best all around supercar/exotic there is. it's super easy to drive, the most comfortable of its peers and probably the fastest among them as well (it did beat my 700hp FGT at the mile which was surprising and every other car put against it 458, RUF RT12, GT2RS). so the package is very good in that you really can use it all the time and not get tired of driving.... whereas the 4.0 is more of an occasional driving car that will put a bigger smile on your face.

as for 4.0 values, i think it will be the strongest of all the modern day porsches. it will depreciate for sure and it's real collectibility will be seen 10-15 years later but i reckon you are not bound to lose much money on it if you purchase one today at a reasonable price or close to MSRP.
having two mp4 and 40, smart man. and i see that you have similar POV as i do. it's not that mp4 is BAD, it's a good car, but not a GREAT car, not a car that gets under your skin. and some of this "get under your skin" thing cannot be explain but only understood after one owns a few good cars. case in point, your FGT (i presume it's ford GT), and lets assume it's stock not 700hp. i never cared for modern american, sure the old SS, Boss, i dig, but not the garbage today. and FGT has very little "technology" .... but most real car guys, american muscle, japanese GTR guys, tifosi, porschephile, bimmerheads, the REAL car nuts will all appreciate the FGT and if i had more money, i will have one in the garage (and i am a chevy over ford guy)... it's that strange, stupid, undescribable feeling that makes a good car a GREAT car. 4.0 has that feeling, MP4 doesn't, McLaren F1 does, FGT does.....

perhaps it's the everyday useability of mp4 you mentioned. with these cars, i am not sure we want to drive any of them on a daily basis. i dont mind road rash, but i HATE it when some guy with no respect for other's properties and opens his POS car or his $$$ ferrari and dents my cars, even if it's just my tow vehicle. and driving these fine cars to combat with moron... not worth it. so the utilitarian nature of MP4 to me is not an advantage.

replacing a 4.0 with Mp4 i dont get..... but i am not the sharpest tool in the shed for sure.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:14 PM
jp175
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Peter is "on the money" do what you want to do.....life is short! Worrying or better yet calculating speculation about depreciation/appreciation is ************ of the brain. You want to run RA1s do it! You want to run slicks do it! You want to get a Cup Car, do it and stop talking about it! I like the 4.0 but it is not worth the $$$ over an RS or a normal GT3, but who cares. Will it depreciate, yes but that was not part of my equation. My equation results in what gives me the most fun.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:25 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,876 Likes on 970 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
replacing a 4.0 with Mp4 i dont get..... but i am not the sharpest tool in the shed for sure.
Agreed......on the swap part.......

Quick Reply: 4.0's For Sale