Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 04:17 PM
twk63
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 57 Posts
Default 997.2 RS

Does anyone know this car?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2011-...item337eb5d1c8

Is the .2 RS worth the delta to the .2 GT3 as a primarily street-driven car with the occasional track use? I sold my .1 GT3 last Summer and am looking to get into a 997.2, the question for me is GT3 or RS. I like the wide body and extra horsepower but I will be driving it primarily as a summer daily driver and occasional track toy. I expect that the RS will be a better value over time.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:48 PM
WSH
Rennlist Member

Received 136 Likes on 70 Posts

Yes
I had an 07 GT3 and loved it...particularly the sunroof.
Sold it and my Turbo for an 11 RS...no contest
The .2RS is SO much more stable..better aero, more grip, more tire, more torque and the short gears make a big difference. No looking back here.
IMHO worth the diff, and you'll def make it back on resale

<<Love it

WSH
Old 12-28-2012, 07:50 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1
Old 12-28-2012, 08:31 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Seems like if you were looking for an occasional daily driver/primarily track toy that's when you'd want the RS. But that does seem like a good price for an RS and a nice color combo too.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:37 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

If that car has no accident history....offer $115k

they probably paid under $110
Old 12-29-2012, 10:29 AM
DRPM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Izzone
If that car has no accident history....offer $115k

they probably paid under $110
+1

have a PPI (and try to purchase a CPO) via a local P dealer
Good luck
Old 12-29-2012, 05:53 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 197 Likes on 118 Posts
Smile

FYI: Momentum is part of the Momentum group, which includes a Porsche dealer. Only they can explain the logic of why it was not moved to the Porsche showroom. Maybe they needed a draw for the Jags.
Also see recent thread in this Forum regarding Houston dealer experience

http://www.momentumcars.com/index.htm
Old 12-29-2012, 06:10 PM
4forme
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 30 track days on my RS this year and absolutely love the car on the track. Nothing can beat it as a track animal. HOWEVER on the the street it is too extreme as a daily driver IMHO. In fact I canceled my plates this year since I drove it on the street <10x and annual plate fees are $1,400 in IA. I much prefer to drive my wife's Cayman R on the street.
If you are tracking 5x per year and plan to daily drive it, I'd go with the GT3. Cheaper, easier to find a pristine example, 95% as capable on the track, and more enjoyable on the street.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:51 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 4forme
I have 30 track days on my RS this year and absolutely love the car on the track. Nothing can beat it as a track animal. HOWEVER on the the street it is too extreme as a daily driver IMHO. In fact I canceled my plates this year since I drove it on the street <10x and annual plate fees are $1,400 in IA. I much prefer to drive my wife's Cayman R on the street.
If you are tracking 5x per year and plan to daily drive it, I'd go with the GT3. Cheaper, easier to find a pristine example, 95% as capable on the track, and more enjoyable on the street.
Why not buy a cup then

Once plates are off u are just beating up a street car...killing its resale

By the way I'm in the same situation

Want a car that's appreciating? Try to find an original motor, stock dimension 996 tub car. They are gaining in value....do the math what's cheaper to run

Last edited by Izzone; 12-29-2012 at 08:08 PM.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:12 PM
4forme
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Izzone
Why not buy a cup then

Once plates are off u are just beating up a street car...killing its resale

By the way I'm in the same situation

Want a car that's appreciating? Try to find an original motor, stock dimension 996 tub car. They are gaining in value....do the math what's cheaper to run
I've thought alot about that Randy. I already own my RS (versus having to sell it and find a cup car) and I've already taken the resale hit on mine with 16k miles (4k track miles). I'd have to price it at $99,900 to sell it. Cups are crazy expensive to maintain with short rebuild times for all major components and I don't have any desire/ability to spend most of my track day tinkering and fiddling with adjustments. I'm too lazy for that and too cheap to hire track support. I like to roll it off the trailer and drive and fun, pack it up, go home and repeat. Everytime I see a older cup car, the guy driving it always seems to be in a bad mood because of something or other that isn't working quit right. Plus my car is usually just as fast as those older cups and for me most of the fun is running in a pack with similar cars. You get a newer cup and no one can touch you. What fun is that? Plus I already scare myself enough as is, I don't need to be any faster.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:05 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

I've thought alot about that Randy. I already own my RS (versus having to sell it and find a cup car) and I've already taken the resale hit on mine with 16k miles (4k track miles). I'd have to price it at $99,900 to sell it. Cups are crazy expensive to maintain with short rebuild times for all major components and I don't have any desire/ability to spend most of my track day tinkering and fiddling with adjustments. I'm too lazy for that and too cheap to hire track support. I like to roll it off the trailer and drive and fun, pack it up, go home and repeat. Everytime I see a older cup car, the guy driving it always seems to be in a bad mood because of something or other that isn't working quit right. Plus my car is usually just as fast as those older cups and for me most of the fun is running in a pack with similar cars. You get a newer cup and no one can touch you. What fun is that? Plus I already scare myself enough as is, I don't need to be any faster.
The 3.8 gt3rs motor should time out when a 996 cup does.....possibly sooner. The higher hp and max rpm of a 3.8 might wear it quicker....the 4.0 even sooner. Cups don't have variocam garbage. Lets say 120ish hours for either

Cup car has hubs / axles designed for slicks.....street car hubs for sport cups. If you run Hoosiers or slicks on a street car don't fool yourself your hubs are free from wear

Transmission on both cars wears almost the same, 996 cup trans has a few more robust parts. Cups have a longer lasting more robust (spring free) clutch

Brakes rotors on a 996 cup are much cheaper.....pads last longer due to weight

If you run Hoosier on a RS, slicks on a cup should cost about the same

If you haven't monoballed your street car will eventually have to when you destroy the rubber from the Hoosier grip

I can tell you I've ran the numbers backwards and forwards.... My RS has 13,500 track miles so far. At 4k miles th RS is ok....same with a cup. They both wear the same don't fool yourself

Problem with 996 cup is there is a lot of junk.....I'm sorting through it now
Old 12-30-2012, 01:56 AM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 131 Likes on 71 Posts

and more enjoyable on the street.
Would you mind mind elaborating why you think a GT3 is more enjoyable on the street than an RS?

I am in the beginning stages of thinking/planning on getting a GT3/RS. Of course, I would love an RS cause of how much more special they are (I don't have the driving skill to make out the difference) but I have a though time justifying the 20-30k premium they seem to have over a vanilla GT3. This is mostly for just street (though not daily driver, have an older M3 for that - just weekend fun car). If there is a good reason why a GT3 is more enjoyable on the street than a RS, I would have an easier time "settling" for a GT3 and saving some.

TIA
Old 12-30-2012, 04:22 AM
Tim Kay
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm with Izzone on this. I too have an '08 RS that I wanted to track but the money I would've invested in the safety mods and suspension mods put me well on my way to spending more than half the price of a well maintained 996 cup. So I kept my RS for fun canyon rides and couldn't be happier tracking my Cup.

To each is own I realize but to say maintenance is crazy expensive (talking 996 here) is not at all accurate relatively speaking. As Izzone pointed out normal wear and tear on both cars won't be much different. I have yet to run into an unhappy racer! Disappointed that lap times aren't where they want them, sure. We all strive to be better. My Cup has been free of mechanical issues at track events since I've owned it (over one year). I do keep in professionaly serviced but I would've done that with the RS as well because proactive maintenance, I'm convinced, not only saves money but more important in lends to more trouble free\worry free track events and that's value in and of itself.

I like you don't want to spend my time at the track "working" on the car. The only thing I "fiddle" with is the camera, changing tires, air pressure and putting in the fuel. All the things I'd be doing with the RS as well. Not to mention, the Cup has air jacks and maintenance free center locks, a bonus. I could go on with a list of pros the Cup offers but you get the picture. In addition, and I know it's been said before and it's true, the RS will never be the car a Cup is.

Let me add one more thing, I have nary a care about flogging the Cup knowing it doesn't have to do double duty as a daily driver or around town street car.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:43 AM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

The going opinion is that the 997.2 GT3 has better performance than the 997.1 GT3RS. One of the biggest drawbacks of the the base GT3 is that it's rare to find one equipped with sport bucket seats. Would cost $7,000 to purchase.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:22 AM
ncgt3
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last edited by ncgt3; 02-26-2013 at 02:17 PM.

Quick Reply: 997.2 RS