Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997.2 RS

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 12:28 AM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 403 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by sunnyr
Would you mind mind elaborating why you think a GT3 is more enjoyable on the street than an RS?

I am in the beginning stages of thinking/planning on getting a GT3/RS. Of course, I would love an RS cause of how much more special they are (I don't have the driving skill to make out the difference) but I have a though time justifying the 20-30k premium they seem to have over a vanilla GT3. This is mostly for just street (though not daily driver, have an older M3 for that - just weekend fun car). If there is a good reason why a GT3 is more enjoyable on the street than a RS, I would have an easier time "settling" for a GT3 and saving some.

TIA
I had an '11 GT3 and now have a '10 RS. They are both livable on the street. The RS is a better track car. Whether you track it or not, just get the RS. If you are even thinking about getting the RS, just get the RS. The GT3 is great, but just get the RS. You won't regret it. You may regret not getting it if you go GT3 so just take that equation out. If you get the RS, regret it, and want a GT3, I'll buy your RS from you.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:34 AM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 4forme
I've thought alot about that Randy. I already own my RS (versus having to sell it and find a cup car) and I've already taken the resale hit on mine with 16k miles (4k track miles). I'd have to price it at $99,900 to sell it. Cups are crazy expensive to maintain with short rebuild times for all major components and I don't have any desire/ability to spend most of my track day tinkering and fiddling with adjustments. I'm too lazy for that and too cheap to hire track support. I like to roll it off the trailer and drive and fun, pack it up, go home and repeat. Everytime I see a older cup car, the guy driving it always seems to be in a bad mood because of something or other that isn't working quit right. Plus my car is usually just as fast as those older cups and for me most of the fun is running in a pack with similar cars. You get a newer cup and no one can touch you. What fun is that? Plus I already scare myself enough as is, I don't need to be any faster.
+1
Old 12-31-2012, 02:52 AM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by ncgt3
sunnyr,
I recently went thru the same decision process and went with a 997.2 GT3 w/ sport buckets and a clean DME. Wanted a car I could drive on the street and track. Added a half cage, 6pts & some gmg susp parts and had the ride height, camber, corner balance etc setup for track. Found a used set of gmg wheels for dedicated track tires. The car is very streetable and is a blast on the track. A very accomplished Porsche instructor told me I'm driving the car at 1/8 of its ability. I'm just doing this to have some fun. No intentions to race. The car is WAY faster than I am at this point. In the event that I become faster than the car, I'll then evaluate if I want to improve it or swap for a used cup car. In my opinion, lots of enthusiasts on these forums are much more hard core than the average newby. Some folks go nuts and purchase something that they *may* need sometime in the future. Similar to adding an guest suite when designing a custom home - 10s of 1000s spent for something that *may* get used 7 days a year... Much cheaper to put the guests up at a fine hotel and everyone would be happier. If you want to drive on the street and you're not cup car fast, than go with a good used 997.2 GT3.
Originally Posted by kyrocks
I had an '11 GT3 and now have a '10 RS. They are both livable on the street. The RS is a better track car. Whether you track it or not, just get the RS. If you are even thinking about getting the RS, just get the RS. The GT3 is great, but just get the RS. You won't regret it. You may regret not getting it if you go GT3 so just take that equation out. If you get the RS, regret it, and want a GT3, I'll buy your RS from you.
Thanks guys for the input, much appreciate it.

Does anyone know if the suspension on RS is stiffer than that on a normal GT3? I know RS engine makes max torque a little more higher but it has shorter gears so I guess that compensates for it?

Here are my pros for both (don't see cons for either):

GT3:
Cheaper
More selection
No red wheels

RS:
Looks more special
Rarer, (guessing holds value better?)
I am a sucker for those wider hips (and 325 section gumball tires).
Sexy bucket seats.
Front lift - for some weird reason it seems more common on RS where as it is rare on GT3 that I have seen on the used market. I would have thought it would be the other way around, go figure...

Anyone has anymore, feel free to add. TIA.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:15 AM
tredirtyfive
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks like you have already made the decision.

Yes, get the RS
Old 12-31-2012, 04:44 AM
CS2CC6
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just get the RS. If you don't, you will be thinking about the RS everyday till you eventually get one.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:27 AM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts

Get the RS. I had a 10 GT3, then a 12 GTS and now an 11 RS. The GTS was pretty fast, but soft and civilized next to both GT3's, and of course the GT3's were much faster. The RS is a special car, comes with the right seats, and if you like the wider hips then go for it. You'll have no regrets.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:35 AM
lkn4adl
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

So true CS2CC6......I had two 07 GT3s and all i ever did is think about the RS until I finally broke down and bought an 11RS
There's something special about the car and when966995 it grabs your attention it's hard to let go... As the registry says... If you can you must
glwp
Old 12-31-2012, 10:13 AM
ncgt3
Advanced

I seriously considered both the plain & RS. If I wasn't going to street drive at all, I would've opted for a track only car. I really liked the idea of the RS, but just couldn't get past my mental block of the following (RS owners, pls don't flame me on this): IMHO, the RS screams "look at me" in a very tacky barrio pep boys kind of way. The ridiculous looking wing (I know it is functional), colored wheels, stickers (I know they can be removed) makes me think of all the greasy young men that cant afford a real car so they try too hard to look like a race car by hanging all sorts of crap on their P.O.S. Maybe its my somewhat understated approach, but hell, I'm 45yrs and don't want to look some cheesy kid trying to be racer joe driving on the street. The wing on my plain GT3 is difficult enough for me to deal with. I drive the car on the street rarely - maybe grab dinner with the wife, grab a coffee or stop by a buddy's. I don't need a ***** extension "look at me" street car. Daily driver is a diesel 2000 Ford Excursion with 168K. The GT3 one of several hobbies - not my identity. If I was actually going fast enough for the RS to make a noticeable difference, I'd just buy a track car that is more capable for less $$ and be done with it. To each his own.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:42 AM
Tim Kay
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I seriously considered both the plain & RS. If I wasn't going to street drive at all, I would've opted for a track only car. I really liked the idea of the RS, but just couldn't get past my mental block of the following (RS owners, pls don't flame me on this): IMHO, the RS screams "look at me" in a very tacky barrio pep boys kind of way. The ridiculous looking wing (I know it is functional), colored wheels, stickers (I know they can be removed) makes me think of all the greasy young men that cant afford a real car so they try too hard to look like a race car by hanging all sorts of crap on their P.O.S. Maybe its my somewhat understated approach, but hell, I'm 45yrs and don't want to look some cheesy kid trying to be racer joe driving on the street. The wing on my plain GT3 is difficult enough for me to deal with. I drive the car on the street rarely - maybe grab dinner with the wife, grab a coffee or stop by a buddy's. I don't need a ***** extension "look at me" street car. Daily driver is a diesel 2000 Ford Excursion with 168K. The GT3 one of several hobbies - not my identity. If I was actually going fast enough for the RS to make a noticeable difference, I'd just buy a track car that is more capable for less $$ and be done with it. To each his own.
Not a flame but aren't all those "POS's" trying to emulate these cars or do I have it backwards.....
Old 12-31-2012, 10:59 AM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by kyrocks
+1
Old 12-31-2012, 11:15 AM
CS2CC6
Instructor

***** extension is the icing on the cake
Old 12-31-2012, 11:41 AM
ncgt3
Advanced

Originally Posted by Tim Kay
Not a flame but aren't all those "POS's" trying to emulate these cars or do I have it backwards.....
Exactly the point - the guys driving the POS's are trying to be seen by others (look at me and how I drive a racecar on the street; thus, I'm somehow more of a man)... Screams "I'm insecure and I need validation".

As I said before, I seriously considered an RS but was hung up on the cheesy appearance. My wife noticed me looking at several plain GT3s & RSs online and said that she'd wouldn't be caught dead in the RS on the street because of how it looked. I tried to explain that I agreed but the RS had some features (wider tires, more downforce, LWFW, etc) that were very functional. She said it looked like "new money" or worse, a young insecure man spending daddy's money.

Again, If I actually become fast enough to need the higher capability of the RS, I'll just purchase a non streetable race car.

My reality is that I'm a happily married 45yr old man (original wife w/ children) that is secure enough with my accomplishments to not need validation from others. I wanted a reliable and capable car for one of my hobbies. I believe that the RS is for those whom are looking for validation NOT speed. If speed were the 1st choice, a race car for less $$ would be the clear choice.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:52 PM
WSH
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 69 Posts

Don't forget the shorter gears...that's the biggest advantage on the street for me

WSH
Old 12-31-2012, 02:37 PM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 94 Posts

Exactly the point - the guys driving the POS's are trying to be seen by others (look at me and how I drive a racecar on the street; thus, I'm somehow more of a man)... Screams "I'm insecure and I need validation".

As I said before, I seriously considered an RS but was hung up on the cheesy appearance. My wife noticed me looking at several plain GT3s & RSs online and said that she'd wouldn't be caught dead in the RS on the street because of how it looked. I tried to explain that I agreed but the RS had some features (wider tires, more downforce, LWFW, etc) that were very functional. She said it looked like "new money" or worse, a young insecure man spending daddy's money.

Again, If I actually become fast enough to need the higher capability of the RS, I'll just purchase a non streetable race car.

My reality is that I'm a happily married 45yr old man (original wife w/ children) that is secure enough with my accomplishments to not need validation from others. I wanted a reliable and capable car for one of my hobbies. I believe that the RS is for those whom are looking for validation NOT speed. If speed were the 1st choice, a race car for less $$ would be the clear choice.
Well, I just wanted a faster, better Porsche and that's why I bought an RS. It feels more like a real race car than a regular gt3.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:50 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

I'm a 37 year old happily married guy with 5 kids and a small *****. Tiny. I needed an RS to compensate for my shortcomings. I was hoping it would attract younger women so i could move away from my original wife and children to something new and non original. Driving the RS gives me the attention in life that my guards red GT3 with a SW bypass didn't. Furthermore, unlike you, i am not secure enough in my accomplishments in life so the RS was the answer. Being a pediatric surgeon, saving babies' lives, and making a difference in someone elses life was not enough reward for me. Doing that and having a regular GT3 in the garage was not enough. I was so insecure that buying the RS gave me the attention ive always needed. Now i am a respected member of the community because i chose an RS and feel more accomplished. Holy crap world - look at me!! You're right, the GT3 is WAY more subtle and quieter for day to day driving. It is only for those gentleman who wish to be subtle and fly under the radar. No one looks at you when you have a GT3. The car is pure subtle unassuming elegance for those who have no shortcomings, have perfect non broken families, and are satisfied with their life accomplishments. I get it.

Come on man, give me a break. You can't state what you did and say please don't flame me. Generalizing and stating people who buy the RS are looking for validation and are insecure is BS for the most part. I have owned both cars. The GT3 is phenomenal. The RS, simply put, is a better car. Drive them - street or track. Is it worth the extra money? To me and any car enthusiast/track rat it definitely was. Should I buy a cup car? Maybe, but I enjoy the occasional street drive and fewer hassles of having a street drivable car. BTW, the RS is faster...look at lap times compared to GT3. No one buys a Porsche for "top speed."

We are just trying to help the OP make the right decision for himself based on comparing the actual cars, not the emotions, attention, or validation it may bring. Saying that is rude and ignorant. I just don't understand what went through your mind when you wrote that and put a label on all RS drivers based on misconceptions and your perceived reality. IMHO, the majority of RS drivers I have met are down to earth, successful people who have genuine interest in Motorsport. Sure there is the occasional young poseur racer boy who bought it with daddy's money, but that's the exception, and he probably wouldn't be reading a technical forum with attention to details and performance that Rennlist provides. Even if he does, good for him...what did he ever do to you? Live your life and focus on yourself and your interests, not what people may think of you. There is nothing wrong with having a non-RS and I'm sure you and your wife enjoy it immensely. You should, it is a fine raw sports car. However, saying you chose it because it is less flashy and draws marginally less attention than an RS which is for those who are insecure with their accomplishments is flawed. On the other hand, this is probably the exact response you wanted and I fell for it. Oh well.

Next time you're driving around in your plain Jane GT3 with your original wife in the passenger seat and see some of us RS drivers around (with bright stickers looking for attention), please don't judge us. We aren't judging you.

Quick Reply: 997.2 RS