Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Anybody with GT3 buckets installed have children? What did you do about airbags?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 08:00 PM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
The 6GT3 buckets are not exactly cheap either Those are phenomenal seats as well.

I just wanted to have the 997 seats. I'm a stickler for matching OEM items
Mine where only $2600 new from Suncoast about 5 years ago, I really like them, took them out of the C2S when I bought the GT3, and sold the aftermarket Recaro's that came with the car.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:14 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Holy cow they have risen in price lately! 2600 was a steal. You my friend, did well
Old 12-27-2012, 08:28 PM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Holy cow they have risen in price lately! 2600 was a steal. You my friend, did well
At the time it was the going rate. I am happy with them, although they aren't as nice looking as yours.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:42 AM
Nan P
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

LVDell, I had the same seats installed earlier this year; I totally love them!
My 9yr old rides with me all the time but I'll have to get this deactivation switch when the 2yr old comes along.
These CGT/GT seats are way more comfortable than they look & the support is excellent - I've done a few 700km drives in them, plus track, & feel alert & fresh when I'm done.
Enjoy....
Old 12-28-2012, 09:15 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Thx Nan
Old 12-28-2012, 11:08 AM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 197 Likes on 118 Posts

NC Seat belt law:
Ages/Positions Covered:
» Children less than age 16 in front or back seats are covered under the NC Child Passenger Safety law.

» Drivers and passengers 16 years old and older are covered by the NC Seat Belt Law.

Vehicles Covered:
» All vehicles required by federal standards to have seat belts are covered. All passenger cars manufactured after 1967 are required by federal regulations to have seat belts and are covered by the NC Child Passenger Safety Law. Vans, pickup trucks and sport utility vehicles manufactured after 1971 are required to be equipped with belts and are also covered by the NC Child Passenger Safety Law. There are no exemptions for vehicles registered in other states or vehicles driven by out-of-state drivers.

Restraint Required:
» A properly used child restraint device (CRD) is required if the child is less than 8 years old AND weighs less than 80 pounds. Most parents and other care givers will be able to comply by using belt-positioning booster seats for children between 40 and 80 pounds. The child must be within the weight range for the child restraint/booster seat and it must meet Federal standards in effect at time of manufacture.

» Children may be secured in a properly fitted seat belt at age 8 (regardless of weight) OR at 80 pounds (regardless of age) - whichever comes first. Placing the shoulder belt under a child’s (or adult’s) arm or behind the back is both dangerous and illegal.

» If no seating position equipped with a lap and shoulder belt to properly secure a belt positioning booster seat is available, a child who weighs at least 40 pounds may be restrained by a properly fitted lap belt only. WARNING: Belt-positioning booster seats can only be used with lap and shoulder combination safety belts. Belt-positioning booster seats must NEVER be used with just a lap belt.

Refer to "What are Options for Children over 40 pounds? in the "Choosing and Using" section for additional information on booster seats and safer alternatives for lap-belt-only seating positions.

Position in Vehicle:
» The CRD must be installed in the rear seat if the child is less than age 5 and 40 lbs.and if the vehicle has a passenger side air bag and a rear seat.
» Front seat installation is allowed if the CRD is designed for use with air bags.

May need to keep original seat on passenger side in order to install the Child Restraint Device (appear missing in your Avatar).
Old 12-28-2012, 12:10 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by tgavem
May need to keep original seat on passenger side in order to install the Child Restraint Device (appear missing in your Avatar).
What you cannot see in the avatar pic is the booster seat and seatbelt. Further, the airbag is deactivated when the weight is less than 80lbs. Moving to the manual airbag deactivation is no different. I'm not sure I follow what you are trying to state with your post.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:13 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 197 Likes on 118 Posts

The airbag must be functioning with the new seats and CRD.
" Front seat installation is allowed if the CRD is designed for use with air bags"
even for children below 80lb.

Texas law was new last year or year before. Now all passengers have to be restraint, even adults in the rear seats. Additionally, children below age of 12 are not allowed to ride in the front. My daughter is 11 so one more year before she is can ride in my Porsche's. Sadly, she is a girl and does not care. Trying to change that :-)
Old 12-28-2012, 01:23 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Only required to ride in back seats if there are back seats present and further if one of those belted positions is AVAILABLE. The GT3, Boxster, Pickup truck, front seat only cars, etc, do not fall into that category so front seat is fine. My child falls between the age and weight limit for the booster seat with a proper 3-pt belt so we are good to go. This is the reason the dealer sells an airbag deactivation kit. I have already verified this both with the DMV and our pediatrician.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:08 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,701 Likes on 2,342 Posts

in CA, kids can sit front seat. even infants as long as facing right direction, which i dont remember.
mia has always sat up front in cayman, gt3, lotus, all of the have scary looking bucket seats or hans seats. max though is in training for being the next mooty. so i strap him to the wing and tell him to hang on. the kid told me my cup car was too loud. i had a SERIOUS talk with him..... now he and i have an understanding.

just deactivate the air bag, get a nice recaro seat, and install per direction. no problem.

use mac strap should you decide on the wing training part. they are the best straps.

Last edited by mooty; 12-29-2012 at 01:15 AM.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:09 AM
jbigelow
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ You're funny as hell MOOTY!!!!!

and Dell, you are gonna <3 the seats
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...formation.html
Old 12-29-2012, 01:20 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,701 Likes on 2,342 Posts

evidence
always wrap little creatures in soft cloth, dont risk scratching the wing.
Attached Images     
Old 12-29-2012, 01:57 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Mooty, those are some awesome pics!
Old 12-29-2012, 10:57 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Yup, start 'em young!

Old 12-29-2012, 01:11 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 726 Likes on 397 Posts

Maybe I can help you out. I suppose I could sacrifice myself and trade the sport bucket seats from my Cayman R for yours. Mine have the weight sensor and fold for access to the back seat. As yours don't fold and I don't have a back seat, it would be perfect!

As to the airbag - I do let her ride in the car. Although she doesn't like the seats.

Quick Reply: Anybody with GT3 buckets installed have children? What did you do about airbags?