COTA cancelling track rentals???

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 10:14 AM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Vonschmidt
Good Evening:
As many of you have heard or read, Circuit of The Americas has informed MVP Track Time, and other organizations, the track event we contracted for February 1-3, 2013 is not being honored.* This was a complete shock as we've already paid the entire rental fee (and yes the check was cashed by COTA) for February 1-3, 2013.*

I do not want add fuel to the fire until we have all the facts and have taken every possible action to secure the COTA date we have already paid (in full) for.* As soon as we have all the facts, I will send an e-mail to all attendees.
Thank you for your patience while we quickly work through this.
Mark Pfeffer - MVP Track Time
www.MVPTrackTime.com
Thanks mark. What a shame. hang in there buddy. I hope they owe you more than just you fee. They broke the contract so lets hope they have to pay a cancellation fee.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:36 AM
Streetking
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mikymu
Guys, apparently COTA hired Mr Scrooge to run their business and could care less about track enthusiasts like us and want to squeeze every penny from blue blood folks that can pay thousands of dollar a day to do circles there. Stay tune and if COTA don't reverse the course and get their head out of their *** and treat us with respect then we will boycott the damn track. They can get away with it for couple months until the novelty wears off then they will realize the country is still trying to crawl out of a recession and they need all the support they can get from EVERYBODY to keep it afloat.

Someone at COTA better pick up a business 101 text book and do some reading. You can't get any worst than this - canceling track events that's already agree on right before the holiday. Apparently they could care less about making on the naughty list
Exactly. I have spent quite a bit of money there on a RV spot $15k for 9 years, PSL granstand seats 10k, 20 tickets per race ect. I spoke with my rep last night and this was all news to her. This really sucks. I'm a sponsor of a ESPN Pod Cast show on Saturdays at 10:00 am. SpeedCity.com. It's a show about all the racing going on around the world, F1, Moto GP ect. I talked to them about this and they are going to mention this on todays show..

I just think COTA is coming off of all the hype of F1, being the "new track". Let's see where they are in a year or so...
Old 12-22-2012, 11:20 AM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Streetking
Exactly. I have spent quite a bit of money there on a RV spot $15k for 9 years, PSL granstand seats 10k, 20 tickets per race ect. I spoke with my rep last night and this was all news to her. This really sucks. I'm a sponsor of a ESPN Pod Cast show on Saturdays at 10:00 am. SpeedCity.com. It's a show about all the racing going on around the world, F1, Moto GP ect. I talked to them about this and they are going to mention this on todays show..

I just think COTA is coming off of all the hype of F1, being the "new track". Let's see where they are in a year or so...
Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me. Won't be a next year from me for them from where I sit.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:37 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 291 Likes on 146 Posts

As much as I hate it, when they do open up for DE im there.......

If they can get $50k a day thats good for them

My fingers are crossed that David Murray will still be on since they are during the week
Old 12-22-2012, 11:46 AM
CKit
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 13 Posts

The number of $50k track rentals isn't sustainable in the long term, I think. It'll be more of a novelty thing up front, but I can't imagine too many of those people will be repeat customers. Hopefully with enough external pressure they'll have a Netflix-Qwikster / Apple Maps-Google Maps mea culpa moment.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:52 AM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

http://m.jalopnik.com/5970719/austin...ans-everywhere
Old 12-22-2012, 11:53 AM
Rovman
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tasman
Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me. Won't be a next year from me for them from where I sit.
+1, My initial feeling on this is, SCREW COTA. If this is how they are going to treat fans, customers, enthusiasts, the very folks that they rely on to keep their facility running. Then to me the track doesn't exist.

Bad business ethics like this is what will ruin that great place. So you can have a signed contract with them and still be worried that what you have is the equivalent of toilet paper, should one manager decide we can gouge folks more because of why and who we are. Not good , not good at all. So what happens to the folks that decide to rent there amazing facility for 50k/day and they decide that we can make 75k/day, lets start over.

I don't know about you but when I go to the track, I don't go there for the suites or a fancy pit stall, or a huge tower that allows you to see a 10 miles radius of the track, or a stage for bands to play, etc. etc. I go there for the TRACK. They are trying to capitalize on all the extras that exist over there that may have intrinsic value to a F1 event, but not DE folks.

Clearly they are not in touch with the DE demoprachics. I think F1 has ruined them in thinking that all motorsports enthusiast and track enthusiasts participate in track events and can't wait to spend $50,000 a weekend 4 to 5 times a year. Whew! That's sad...

Moooooossssaaaaaaaa.

OK all better now.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:06 PM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

Make sure you get some of this.

Originally Posted by Izzone

As much as I hate it, when they do open up for DE im there.......

If they can get $50k a day thats good for them

My fingers are crossed that David Murray will still be on since they are during the week
Old 12-22-2012, 12:07 PM
Rovman
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tasman
Make sure you get some of this.

Ha ha ha, too funny but very true.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:13 PM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Here is a hard copy of the article (in case the link dies, I wanted a permanent record of this):

Austin’s Circuit Of The Americas Cancels Track Days, Screws Over Racing Fans Everywhere

by Patrick George

If you were fortunate enough to go to the inaugural U.S. Grand Prix at Austin's Circuit of the Americas last month, you may have started counting the days until you got a chance to drive on it too. After all, the track opened to rave reviews from both fans and Formula One drivers.

That's not going to happen now. Apparently, officials at the circuit have canceled all rentals, club races, driver's education events and other track days for 2013.

Jalopnik was forwarded this email from Rick Schwalenberg, owner of The Driver's Edge, an HPDE school based out of Texas:

Dear Drivers Edge Drivers,

I just recieved a phone call from CoTA's Manager of Track Operations, it wasn't the one I wanted to get.

In short CoTA's executives have decided to cancel all "YES ALL" track rentals. They have decided NOT to rent the track, they plan to go in a diffrent direction.

The worst part is, our tipster says Schwalenberg paid in full and signed a contract for the event, which is supposed to happen in less than 20 days. On their Facebook page, The Driver's Edge said "We really don't know exactly what was behind the decision, but we were told they are canceling all rentals other than major races."

Similarly, MVP Track Time of Missouri had a track day set for Feb. 1-3. Participants received this notice last night:

Good Evening:

As many of you have heard or read, Circuit of The Americas has informed MVP Track Time, and other organizations, the track event we contracted for February 1-3, 2013 is not being honored.* This was a complete shock as we've already paid the entire rental fee (and yes the check was cashed by COTA) for February 1-3, 2013.*

I do not want add fuel to the fire until we have all the facts and have taken every possible action to secure the COTA date we have already paid (in full) for.* As soon as we have all the facts, I will send an e-mail to all attendees.

Thank you for your patience while we quickly work through this.

Circuit of the Americas' Facebook page is already brimming with angry comments from enthusiasts who feel like they've been screwed over.

Earlier this morning I sent an email to the circuit's media people, asking to confirm if this is true and if so, why it's happening. I have not heard back yet but I'll update this post if I do.

Hat tip to David!
Old 12-22-2012, 12:13 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Streetking

Thanks for making the effort to let everyone know what COTA is up to. This facility used public money to build the track then deny the general public from using it .... poor act!

Good, the word is out. I notify jalopnik last night and glad they acknowledge COTA's classless action

Originally Posted by Rovman
+1, My initial feeling on this is, SCREW COTA. If this is how they are going to treat fans, customers, enthusiasts, the very folks that they rely on to keep their facility running. Then to me the track doesn't exist.

Bad business ethics like this is what will ruin that great place. So you can have a signed contract with them and still be worried that what you have is the equivalent of toilet paper, should one manager decide we can gouge folks more because of why and who we are. Not good , not good at all. So what happens to the folks that decide to rent there amazing facility for 50k/day and they decide that we can make 75k/day, lets start over.

I don't know about you but when I go to the track, I don't go there for the suites or a fancy pit stall, or a huge tower that allows you to see a 10 miles radius of the track, or a stage for bands to play, etc. etc. I go there for the TRACK. They are trying to capitalize on all the extras that exist over there that may have intrinsic value to a F1 event, but not DE folks.

Clearly they are not in touch with the DE demoprachics. I think F1 has ruined them in thinking that all motorsports enthusiast and track enthusiasts participate in track events and can't wait to spend $50,000 a weekend 4 to 5 times a year. Whew! That's sad...

Moooooossssaaaaaaaa.

OK all better now.
+100000
Old 12-22-2012, 12:18 PM
GT3DE
Drifting

FWIW - COTA has NOT cancelled the DMTD on March 13-14. You can still sign up for the DMTD event here: http://davidmurry.com/2013-eventsreg...f-the-americas

If, in the end, the event is cancelled, David Murry will refund 100% of your fee.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:24 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

from COTA face book ....

Rob P

You have all just betrayed every gearhead and motorsport fan that have supported this venue from day one. You took payments, you gave dates, you had people working hard to make these events happen and then you yanked the carpet out from everyone. You disgust me. If there is anything I can do, any word that I can spread, it will say that no one should work with you, that advertisers and local county and city officials should shun you. I encourage all local motorsports fans in Austin write their local government officials and point out how you've treated the fans whose tax dollars you undoubtedly leveraged in the creation of this track. You should be ashamed and I hope you fail utterly. I don't give a damn if they bulldoze the entire track and move F1 to Jersey, you are simply not deserving of existing in this state.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:41 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

It would be great if some big name racers got on their face book page saying what a crock it is to screw over the true enthusiasts like us
Old 12-22-2012, 12:43 PM
GT3DE
Drifting

Originally Posted by paver
It would be great if some big name racers got on their face book page saying what a crock it is to screw over the true enthusiasts like us
don't hold your breath. pro racers need sponsors and mouthing off is not going to get them any. look at Kurt Bush these days.

Quick Reply: COTA cancelling track rentals???