Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Laguna at 90db now for most of 2013...

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 12:41 AM
Horstair
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Laguna at 90db now for most of 2013...

I realize that this is mostly for West Coast folks (and the "errant" left coast visitor:-) but it's not good news... Just got the "2013 track day announcement" e-mails from two key track organizers for our NorCal tracks.
One (national) group is caving in to the sound demands of the nut cases (and Monterrey County Supervisors for that matter) living around the track whose ultimate goal is to SHUT DOWN Laguna for good. The other (regional) group is considering to FIGHT the effort to further restrict noise levels by surveying their membership whether and how to establish a "counter" effort for keeping current sound levels and saving Laguna, at least for a couple of more years.
As for me, I don't like to give up without a fight but it will take a concentrated effort by us track drivers AND by our track organizers to keep Laguna open for the near future with a SANE sound limit.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:52 AM
Arctic Wolf
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Geez what do people expect when they move their next to a racetrack? Fortress of solitude? No it's a racetrack that was there before they were live with it! Same people that move next to an airport and start complaining how they can't stand the noise all these years!
Old 12-15-2012, 01:05 AM
Horstair
Racer

Originally Posted by Arctic Wolf
Same people that move next to an airport and start complaining how they can't stand the noise all these years!
Tell me about it I fly out of Palo Alto and it will be owned by the city next year (vs the county for the last 50 years or so). I can hardly wait for the birds to be "declared" in danger by all those little airplanes and the airport will have to go But honestly, Laguna is in much worse "shape" if we don't figure something out soon.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:49 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

I applaud TMR for having the initiative to fight back. If you don't fight back, the 7 idiots that bought a home nearby will ruin the track for thousands of people. Caving in is NOT the right answer.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:00 AM
Horstair
Racer

Originally Posted by orthojoe
I applaud TMR for having the initiative to fight back.
You can applaud "yourself" when you have contributed time and money to this cause. TMR and any other organizer for that matter can't do much WITHOUT our help. WE are the ones paying the bills... So let's volunteer to start a movement...
Old 12-15-2012, 02:05 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,749 Likes on 2,355 Posts

how do we start?
Old 12-15-2012, 02:24 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

ah so what! put your exhaust back on and be done with it.
I know to cool to run with an extra 50lbs of stainless steel and your not annoying enough with out it.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:34 AM
Arctic Wolf
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a principle issue too.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:52 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,749 Likes on 2,355 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836
ah so what! put your exhaust back on and be done with it.
I know to cool to run with an extra 50lbs of stainless steel and your not annoying enough with out it.
u clearly have no clue.
NO GT3 made after 2005 can pass sound, i am talking about 100% stock exhaust. fully stock, totally stock car will not pass sound at 90db. my stock cayman also fails sound due to pitch of STOCK air intake.

a lawn mower will not pass 90db!
Old 12-15-2012, 03:03 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 248 Likes on 204 Posts

Only way and simplest way is for every org for de and even better if pro org(unlikely-they'll
pay for sound pollution) to boycott ls for a year maybe more. Let's see county crunch their numbers and see if the **** hits the fan. If it does county wont be thinking bout residents- the net $$$ is all that matters. Mike
Old 12-15-2012, 04:07 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Horstair
You can applaud "yourself" when you have contributed time and money to this cause. TMR and any other organizer for that matter can't do much WITHOUT our help. WE are the ones paying the bills... So let's volunteer to start a movement...
What gave you the idea that I wouldn't? I'm totally for supporting the movement in any way that I can. Like any movement, there's needs be a leader. While I'm not up to the task of leading the cause, TMR has stepped up and I'm certainly ready to support them.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:00 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Dang 90db?....I fart louder than 90db
Old 12-15-2012, 09:09 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The first answer is to ignore Laguna and stop supporting it by driving there. If you drove there last year you supported the 90db sound limits by doing so. Face it you were your own enemy by supporting this dinosaur.

Second, support efforts to build two new tracks in CA.
Somebody knows somebody who can make this happen. COTA is proof to every single naysayer that it would be supported and financially viable. It is beyond pathetic no investors have yet to find their ******* and made this happen.

Laguna, Sears and to an extent Thunderhill are old, tired track designs that are far more dangerous that any modern designs. Recreationally driven cars get crashed at those tracks all the time. Reno-Fernley by comparison "never" has crashes and is monumentally more challenging to drive.

Face the reality, vote with your wallet, support new track(s) initiative.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:15 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 465 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
The first answer is to ignore Laguna and stop supporting it by driving there. If you drove there last year you supported the 90db sound limits by doing so. Face it you were your own enemy by supporting this dinosaur.

Second, support efforts to build two new tracks in CA.
Somebody knows somebody who can make this happen. COTA is proof to every single naysayer that it would be supported and financially viable. It is beyond pathetic no investors have yet to find their ******* and made this happen.

Laguna, Sears and to an extent Thunderhill are old, tired track designs that are far more dangerous that any modern designs. Recreationally driven cars get crashed at those tracks all the time. Reno-Fernley by comparison "never" has crashes and is monumentally more challenging to drive.

Face the reality, vote with your wallet, support new track(s) initiative.
Smart words from a smart man!!

Old 12-15-2012, 10:35 AM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
+1

LS is the closest track to me. I can get there in the early AM hours in 60 minutes. Because of the sound *****, as well as the fact that LS charges more than any other track, despite having less facilities and a very unfriendly staff, I chose to NOT PATRONIZE any track event hosted there this season. I'll be continuing that trend in 2013.

Quick Reply: Laguna at 90db now for most of 2013...