Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Aftermarket exhaust for my 4.0 RS???

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 06:32 PM
Eddie - RPW
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmuller
It was back to back runs. The motor is stock, other than no A/C and RSR Crankcase breather. Headers are stock 7GT3RS ones from my RS (its has the headers from the 4.0). It's just made more power when it went on the dyno. More importantly, it weighed 29lbs vs the stock 99lbs stock 6GT3 exhaust.
great combo and garage also !

Enjoy
Old 12-15-2012, 07:20 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

street only - sharkwerks

track time - M&M

$ to burn - Akra.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:29 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,629 Likes on 756 Posts

well said!
Old 12-15-2012, 08:17 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Bear
Since I drive mine on the street/ track... wanted the power gain and keep the function of the sport button duel tone OEM mufflers...GMG headers and rear section center bypass was my ticket.
I can vouch.

Purely sound observations from CHIN Road Atlanta a few weeks back:

Sharky/RSS bypass - Sounds like the videos, not too loud.

GMG bypass - Like the above but more aggressive; snarls at high RPM; I really like the sound; plus, it has some race provenance

GMG bypass + headers, cats - Amazing. Purer, clearer tone than just the bypass. You could hear every minute variation in throttle position through the esses, and Grady's downshifts were absolutely savage coming into 6. I could also hear his car clearly as he went into 10A, and I was standing along the fence by the marshall stand on driver's right as you come into the trough in the esses. Best sounding GT3 I've ever heard (bar the race cars). Awesome setup, but not cheap! (Headers w/ cats, bypass, chip to take advantage, shipping, installation, tax, etc. - probably over $8,000).
Old 12-15-2012, 08:24 PM
richk
Drifting

Received 882 Likes on 366 Posts

I have had sharky's, RSS, and GMG! All were great...if I had to do it over again probably would lean towards GMG. As said earlier...its mean at high RPM.

Also, they are right down the road...
Old 12-15-2012, 08:55 PM
gtdoggie
Advanced

Ok. So now have to consider GMG. Any idea of weight savings, power gains if any , drone? Seems like it allows one to keep sport button function. Anyone had one on a 4.0RS?
Old 12-15-2012, 09:29 PM
allans
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gtdoggie
Ok. So now have to consider GMG. Any idea of weight savings, power gains if any , drone? Seems like it allows one to keep sport button function. Anyone had one on a 4.0RS?
I have one on my 4.0. The sound is fantastic at all RPMs. I think it sounds best of all the center delete pipes I've heard. The quality is very high. No drone. Two issues for me: Just over AMP's 98DB limit and, I'm told by Topspeed Motorsports, that it is costing 10-14HP. This is based on their "experience" and a comparison to Seth's 4.0 dyno run and mine. Seth's was stock, Mine was done after the GMG was installed. Allan
Old 12-15-2012, 09:48 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

double post.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:49 PM
Eddie - RPW
Banned

We also dynoed Trakcar's 4.0 and the stock power was spot on with Seth's car. Also used a dynojet.

Old 12-15-2012, 10:14 PM
allans
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Eddie, Can your MM center muffler with side deletes be made to come in below 98DP without sacrificing it's benefits. I know Jenk's car with the side deletes, he is using, is just above AMP's limit, which they strictly enforce. Allan
Old 12-15-2012, 10:18 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by gtdoggie
All center deletes are more less the same.... all depends on their design/back pressure which makes one a little different then the other...

as a street driver you should keep the sport button feature thus center muffler delete is the way to go.

Sharkwerks has awesome custom service. If you have any issues they send you another right away. Gotta like that.

Sharkwerks also allows you to use your stock tips! Or, as i mentioned earlier, use their larger tips which i love!
Old 12-15-2012, 10:21 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

double post .... again
Old 12-15-2012, 10:22 PM
Eddie - RPW
Banned

Originally Posted by allans
Eddie, Can your MM center muffler with side deletes be made to come in below 98DP without sacrificing it's benefits. I know Jenk's car with the side deletes, he is using, is just above AMP's limit, which they strictly enforce. Allan
I would need to measure Peter's car to check. The M&M is really not loud.
Jenk's car has just side muffler delete, with steel OEM center. The sound of the M&M is a lot deeper.

Do you know what distance is it measured ?
I can do a few different things to bring the sound down a little, but changing diameter of the muffler will also change gains.
At this point the main thing is to measure Peter's and than maybe try to work on baffled tips and see how do they work in case the sound needs to be reduced.
That's why I like to work with them, they're looking to help with custom applications
Old 12-15-2012, 10:25 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
All center deletes are more less the same.... all depends on their design/back pressure which makes one a little different then the other...

as a street driver you should keep the sport button feature thus center muffler delete is the way to go.

Sharkwerks has awesome custom service. If you have any issues they send you another right away. Gotta like that.

Sharkwerks also allows you to use your stock tips! Or, as i mentioned earlier, use their larger tips which i love!
Agreed in some points, also material and wall thickness has a lot to do with sound.
they all have pros and cons.
Sharky has great customer service and Alex is a great guy.
The GMG center bypass has better craftsmanship if you ask me, also like the design of the pipes.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:32 PM
gtdoggie
Advanced

So The GMG reduces power?

Quick Reply: Aftermarket exhaust for my 4.0 RS???