Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Aftermarket exhaust for my 4.0 RS???

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 10:36 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,631 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by allans
Eddie, Can your MM center muffler with side deletes be made to come in below 98DP without sacrificing it's benefits. I know Jenk's car with the side deletes, he is using, is just above AMP's limit, which they strictly enforce. Allan
I dont know, but did Mike have teh oem center muffler or the Sharky? The M&M is quieter at low RPM for sure, not sure about High RPM..

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
All center deletes are more less the same.... all depends on their design/back pressure which makes one a little different then the other...

as a street driver you should keep the sport button feature thus center muffler delete is the way to go.

Sharkwerks has awesome custom service. If you have any issues they send you another right away. Gotta like that.

Sharkwerks also allows you to use your stock tips! Or, as i mentioned earlier, use their larger tips which i love!
Sharkwerks / Alesx is fantastic. Any issues and you get money back or replacement no questions asked. They have been doing it much longer then RPW, but I put WPW at the same level of customer satisfaction commitment. Full disclosure, Eddie is a good friend.

Last edited by TRAKCAR; 12-16-2012 at 08:03 AM.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:01 PM
allans
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Eddie - RPW
I would need to measure Peter's car to check. The M&M is really not loud.
Jenk's car has just side muffler delete, with steel OEM center. The sound of the M&M is a lot deeper.

Do you know what distance is it measured ?
I can do a few different things to bring the sound down a little, but changing diameter of the muffler will also change gains.
At this point the main thing is to measure Peter's and than maybe try to work on baffled tips and see how do they work in case the sound needs to be reduced.
That's why I like to work with them, they're looking to help with custom applications
Originally Posted by gtdoggie
So The GMG reduces power?
Eddie, My understanding they have 6 "sophisticated" measuring devices around the track. They also measure manually from various flag stations. I'm told that you really have to be below 97DB to pass. Of course, it depends on temperature, humidity, and winds also. Thanks for your help. Allan
Old 12-15-2012, 11:04 PM
allans
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gtdoggie
So The GMG reduces power?
This is what i've been told. TSM know what their talking about. Allan
Old 12-15-2012, 11:19 PM
Eddie - RPW
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Eddie, My understanding they have 6 "sophisticated" measuring devices around the track. They also measure manually from various flag stations. I'm told that you really have to be below 97DB to pass. Of course, it depends on temperature, humidity, and winds also. Thanks for your help. Allan
Ok, so I would assume that this would be around at least 10 feet away.
I'll check for you, and contact Germany early this week.
Could you kindly send me your contact info ?

Tks.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:51 PM
allans
Burning Brakes

I think they are at 50ft but, some parts of the track are below the measuring point which tends to trap and magnify the sound. Allan
Old 12-16-2012, 05:42 AM
maroli
Three Wheelin'

Received 471 Likes on 271 Posts

hi. if you're interested in power without too much increase in sound....FVD does a completely titanium 'TUV/quiet version' full exhaust in titanium that is simply magnificent. The akrapovic is similar, but does not have a full equal length header design, which is what makes the most power. If you have a look at the Supersprint stepped header design, that's the best designed header, but is in stainless steel. The FVD header design is similar, but in titanium. Akrapovic actually makes the GT2 exhaust, which I hear has cracking problems and doesn't have an equal length header design.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:04 AM
Red Bear
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I have one on my 4.0. The sound is fantastic at all RPMs. I think it sounds best of all the center delete pipes I've heard. The quality is very high. No drone. Two issues for me: Just over AMP's 98DB limit and, I'm told by Topspeed Motorsports, that it is costing 10-14HP. This is based on their "experience" and a comparison to Seth's 4.0 dyno run and mine. Seth's was stock, Mine was done after the GMG was installed. Allan

From my experience Porsche's vary in HP from one car to the next as Porsche is conservative with posting the real HP. Topspeed Motorsports should done a comparison with the same car. GMG confirmed with me a test provided by Champion Motorsports in Jan. 2010 using the same 997.2 GT3RS OEM rear section vs. GMG rear section is zero power gain. Adding the headers with the GMG rear section was off the charts.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:17 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,839 Likes on 954 Posts

Supersprint has the best header design out there IMO. Less low-end torque loss; nice power gains. Downside is you're locked into their full system due to unique header configuration. If they made it in Iconel at a reasonable price I'd be all over it.

Running GMG headers, side delete, and Akra center muffler. Best combo of weight loss/power gain/sound.
Old 12-16-2012, 02:34 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 292 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Supersprint has the best header design out there IMO. Less low-end torque loss; nice power gains. Downside is you're locked into their full system due to unique header configuration. If they made it in Iconel at a reasonable price I'd be all over it.

Running GMG headers, side delete, and Akra center muffler. Best combo of weight loss/power gain/sound.
Ill bet that sounds fantastic

Im not a fan of Akra headers, not sure why they didnt make them long tube

I just installed a AWE exhaust on Ddogs rumble bee. The build quality was fantastic, fit was perfect....and a header design like super sprint
Old 12-16-2012, 05:22 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer

very cool recipe!
Old 12-16-2012, 06:06 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Izzone
Ill bet that sounds fantastic

Im not a fan of Akra headers, not sure why they didnt make them long tube

I just installed a AWE exhaust on Ddogs rumble bee. The build quality was fantastic, fit was perfect....and a header design like super sprint
Why did you get rid of the Sharky track exhaust?
Old 12-16-2012, 09:08 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 292 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Guest89
Why did you get rid of the Sharky track exhaust?
Noise restriction tracks in canada this summer

I wanted no drone and quiet
Old 12-18-2012, 03:46 PM
csmarx
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I second (or 30th) the SharkWerks bypass! Sounds great, no drone. Alex and the guys are great.

But the real trick is to also add the remote switch by Carnewal (also sold by SW). It's only a few hundred bucks.

The 997 GT3 stock sports exhaust has the well known funky behavior: in sport it's loud in idle, then quiet until 3000 RPM, then loud. In non-sport mode it's quiet up to 4000 RPM, then loud. Personally I can't stand this weird change in sound in the middle of the rev range.

The two items above put together are awesome. The switch allows you to keep the valves either fully open or fully closed. Now you get a fully "quiet" car through the whole rev range, or a truly awesome sounding car at any rev. It never gets old, and it brings a smile to my face every time whether gently driving under a bridge or screaming down the track.

The other benefit of this mod, aside from being cost effective and easily reversible, is that on certain strict tracks like Laguna Seca, you can actually pass sound at the touch of a button. As documented in other threads, you do lose a bit of midrange torque with the valves fully shut, but I prefer this to lifting, short shifting etc.

Finally, with the SW bypass , since it uses the standard tips, you can also use standard sized turn up tips, if needed.

It's by far the best mod I've made to my 997.1 GT3.

-Christian
Old 12-18-2012, 04:31 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Izzone

I just heard Deputy Dogs AWE and it sounds great. He said it drones bad but that us what race exhaust does.

Randy you said yours doesn't drone...what are you using now?
Old 12-18-2012, 04:41 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Izzone uses akrapovic, zero drone, just like the small diameter M&M. Also zero power gains on the akrapovic, or close to zero. Just a little more torque mid range.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket exhaust for my 4.0 RS???