Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Porsche 997 GT3 INCONEL 625 exhaust - KLINE INNOVATION Project

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 03:23 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jparker36
That dyno chart is impressive.... but I find it very hard to believe an exhaust can do it. 40 ft/lbs down low, and maintaining big gains up top? That just doesn't add up from all I've ever seen on GT3 exhaust dynos.
Long(er) tube headers = low rpm torque. Check out the SuperSprint GT3 long-tube system, big-bottom end torque and top end gains as well. Obtained with a step-tube size design. Felix Kiline is doing it with valving. Also take a look at the primary to header flange joint on an OE system, it's nasty. All kinds of flow turbulence. A thoughtfully designed full system with 200 or less cell cats really opens up the Mezger engines.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:48 PM
Eddie - RPW
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

specially the bigger displacement engines which are proven to be restricted.
The myth of exhaust not making power on GT3s is long gone.... It's been proven by me and others around here, over and over again.

Great looking system.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:07 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,816 Likes on 947 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
Long(er) tube headers = low rpm torque. Check out the SuperSprint GT3 long-tube system, big-bottom end torque and top end gains as well. Obtained with a step-tube size design. Felix Kiline is doing it with valving. Also take a look at the primary to header flange joint on an OE system, it's nasty. All kinds of flow turbulence. A thoughtfully designed full system with 200 or less cell cats really opens up the Mezger engines.
Dream system: Supersprint headers in iconel into HJS OBDII-compliant 200cell cats into iconel center section. Done.

Bueller? Bueller?
Old 12-14-2012, 05:43 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Dream system: Supersprint headers in iconel into HJS OBDII-compliant 200cell cats into iconel center section. Done.

Bueller? Bueller?
Yeah, but the price would probably start with a two...

But I agree with you - it would be a great system. No reason to add flappers or valves, make it as light as possible.
Old 12-15-2012, 06:33 AM
Felix_Kline
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Here is what I have right now..see the picture...I lost a lot of weight going this way...but...this system drones really really bad from 2500-4000 rpm. I knew about the drone going into this exhaust but it's worse than I though and seems to be getting worse. Plus I'm not sure the X crossover help or not. I hear different reports that the X pipe hurts power but then another exhaust company says the X pipe helps power. I like the idea of no side mufflers due to weight savings and getting a hot muffler away from the tire help at the track too.
Right ok, so am i right in thinking thats a 997gts?

The system looks pretty supersport style, i could imagine it sounds pretty good, but also loud!

We don’t currently have a part for the GTS, however we would be more than happy to develop a part for you. Perhaps you could give me a little more specific info about what your looking for. A supersport track exhaust with a little less drone? A daily driver exhaust that occaisionaly used on track?

About x pipes
They were originally designed for v8 engines with bi-plane cranks, to relieve the high and low pressure points associated with the uneven firing pattern. The idea on bi plane v8s is to improve scavenge, and on these engines they do have a significant power gain.

On a flat six, where firing pattern is even, they do not have the same impact on scavenge. Its debateable whether or not certain configurations of x pipe will create a small siphoning effect or not on even firing pattern engines. It’s possible that the acceleration of gasses around 180 degrees creates a partial low pressure point, drawing gasses from the opposite bank. although if this is the case, the extra power will be very small. What i can say about x pipes, is that they are a useful means of silencing, and pitch alteration. A well designed x pipe means that you can use less restrictive silencers, and therefor more power, and greater weight savings without the sound becoming too unbearable. They also make a very cool sound!

The thing about x pipes though, a badly designed x pipe can ruin the performance of the car, and there are as many bad x pipe designs out there, as there are good x pipe designs! Its all about the subtle science/art of compressible fluid dynamics!

Last edited by Felix_Kline; 12-15-2012 at 07:29 AM.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:50 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Felix, yes I have a GTS...with PDK. I use it on the track and also street drive it on the weekends. I don't mind that it's loud but the drone is very loud and bothersome on the street. Some drone I could deal with.

I'd like a simple exhaust solution that is lightweight, doesn't lose power...gains a little power, and doesn't void the warranty. I'd love to do headers and 200 cel cats and tune but am afraid of CEL lights and no warranty.

Supersport exhaust with a little less drone for the track but that I could drive on the highway at 75mph at 2500rpm that doesn't drone as much as what I've got.

The cat back exhaust I currently have is a M&M system sold by FVD. This is the approved exhaust minus the headers for the Rolex Grand AM Conti Series Porsche GTS that BGB and Rum Bum racing used.

thanks!
Old 12-16-2012, 05:48 AM
maroli
Three Wheelin'

Received 471 Likes on 271 Posts

dare I say this is reasonably priced considering the materials involved and the diseconomies of scale producing such a niche work of art.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:54 PM
Felix_Kline
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

mdrums we are working an autcad drawing for a system which we think will respect your wish, I will come back with details.

maroli you are right. Working with Inconel is a lot harder than stainless, only highly trained fabricators can do it properly.

We have available Inconel systems for normal carrera and Turbo .
Old 12-27-2012, 11:16 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Felix yes I am worried that with my x-pipe exhaust (M&M from FVD) might be losing power. My GTS with factory stated 408hp is no faster than my 2009 Carrera S 385hp car. I am going over track speeds in certain segments at Sebring.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:50 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,052 Likes on 575 Posts

felix I'm very impressed that you guys are taking inconel to the street level customers. only a few manufacturers (mclaren and koeniggsegg) even offer any of it- usually you have to go to super intense race cars. thanks for making me wish I had my GT3RS back to put this on- and it sounds great on the youtube video also.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:38 AM
Felix_Kline
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I am glad you like our work. Inconel is unique in many ways, I dont see why street users shouldn t benefit from it s advantages. Too bad you sold your GT3

We also offer normal carrera and turbo systems in Inconel 625. For both 996 and 997 range.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:40 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

While not a GT3, this video shows the difference between quite and loud mode. Very impressive, its like having a stock exhaust and at the push of a button having a track exhaust:

Old 08-29-2013, 10:03 AM
Felix_Kline
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

New GT3 system .

Special tailored for our customer. The system is for a 996 GT3
Attached Images    
Old 08-29-2013, 10:52 AM
GT2Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Weight of Inconel headers

Hi Felix,
Nice system. What is the weight of your headers for the 997 Turbo/GT2?
Rgds Lars
Old 08-29-2013, 11:06 AM
Felix_Kline
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Hi Lars,

Glad you like it!

997 GT2 manifolds weight :
Inconel - 1.6 KG
Stainless steel - 2.6 KG