Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 09:06 AM
Felix_Kline
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Porsche 997 GT3 INCONEL 625 exhaust - KLINE INNOVATION Project

A First glimpse of our 997 gt3 development project nearing its completion. Photos have been taken after some sound testing so the inconel has a little heat discolouration.

The valvetronic system operates in two states, in quiet mode where cross sections have been tuned within the silencer to promote torque in the lower rev region and suppress much of the noise. In sport mode the silencers are bypassed allowing the gasses to flow freely through the system. Additional features, are that the cats have been moved from the scavenge zone of the manifolds into a later section further enhancing all areas of torque curves.

Inconel's superior tensile strength and toughness at elevated temperatures allows us to use very thin sidewall material. In fact total weight of the system is just 19 kg, in comparison to the 40.4kg of the OEM part. A super sport version will also be available with additional weight savings reducing total weight to around 11kg

The design of this piece, and material choice, create the most incendiary melody at high revs. the result is that the engine sounds like its revving to more like 14000rpm than 8000rpm, whereas in quiet mode, the tone is still fairly subtle.

System will be released on our website www.kline-innovation.com

The making of >>
GT3 inconel manifolds
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuL46...ature=youtu.be

For information about our Turbo and Carrera systems you can find on our sales topics here on rennlist .

www.kline-innovation.com
Old 12-12-2012, 09:16 AM
senna
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man, I love handmade fabrication. That header jig is slick!
Old 12-12-2012, 11:32 AM
Felix_Kline
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Bigger size pics
Attached Images      
Old 12-12-2012, 11:50 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Do you have anything that uses shorter tubes and eliminates the side mufflers? Also something like this for the 2009-2012 Carrera S cars too? Pricing?
Old 12-12-2012, 11:59 AM
Felix_Kline
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Our Jigging process is flexible and alows us to make you any system you want. Are you looking for something similar to the Akrapovic super sport?
We have system for Carrera also.

On SPORT mode the system bypasses the mufflers, gases flow only trough the X pipe and 100 cell cats, it sound's mental and the performance gain is very good.

The full inconel system including manifolds for GT3 will retail around 12 000 USD .

Of course stainless steel version is cheaper.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:16 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Felix_Kline
Our Jigging process is flexible and alows us to make you any system you want. Are you looking for something similar to the Akrapovic super sport?

On SPORT mode the system bypasses the mufflers, gases flow only trough the X pipe and 100 cell cats, it sound's mental and the performance gain is very good.

The full inconel system including manifolds for GT3 will retail around 12 000 USD .

Benefits of inconel vs. Ti in a street application?
Old 12-12-2012, 12:22 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Inconel FTMFW
:-)
Old 12-12-2012, 02:28 PM
RSRanger
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Nice.
What are the diameters of the header tubing and collectors?
Pricing for the headers and straight pipes from collectors to my center section (custom design)? A catless system.
You can PM me.

Ranger (Sua Sponte)
Old 12-12-2012, 05:38 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PJS996GT3
Inconel FTMFW
:-)
No sh*t. My pants started getting tight as soon as I read the thread title. Thank my lucky stars I don't have anything to put this on. I'd have already wired funds for the purchase. Innovation like this is just so darn rare. Well done Felix Kline, well fricken done
Old 12-13-2012, 05:45 AM
Felix_Kline
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Glad you like it our systems.

Inconel vs titanium

Both of these materials are wonderful materials, and have differing properties that allow them to be well suited to different applications. Here are a few properties of each.

Grade 2 titanium
Tensile strength 344 Mpa
Yield strength 275-410 Mpa
Density 4.5g/cc

Inconel 625
Tensile strength 950 Mpa
Yield strength 415-750 Mpa
Density 8.4 g /cc

So at first glance, they seem fairly evenly matched. Tensile strength of titanium is about half that of inconel, but its also half the density, so half the weight. So strength to weight ratios of each material are similar. The difference in applications can be seen after repeated heat exposure. After 2000 hours of exposure to 800C the tensile strength of inconel actually increases to around 1200Mpa, whereas tensile strength of titanium can be reduced by up to 60%. The reason for this is that, Ti has a high affinity for oxidising. After repeated exposure to high temperature gases, Ti forms an extremely hard, yet brittle compound known as “ALPHA CASE” which leads to rupture.

What all this means, is that inconel doesn’t heat fatigue with age like titanium does and so is better suited to high temperature applications like exhaust manifolds, therefor thinner sidewall material can be used, and ultimately lighter, more durable manifolds can be made from inconel. Also inconel has a very low thermal conductivity, this means that less heat is lost from exhaust discharge, keeping gas velocities higher and improving scavenging. Or another way to think about it, is less inertia is lost through conversion of heat.

Maybe the most interesting thing from a street level perspective though, is the sound made by thin sidewall inconel exhausts. Its difficult to describe, but everyone who hears one of our inco exhausts is blown away by the true racecar sound that you just don’t get with stainless steels or titanium.

RsRanger I sent you a PM .
The following users liked this post:
Steve Theodore (07-15-2022)
Old 12-14-2012, 10:11 AM
Felix_Kline
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

DYNO RUN

You can make an ideea of the sound. On min 1.40 the valves bypass is kicking in !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZY7j7...ature=youtu.be

Largest gain 30hp@ 8000rpm

Largest torque gain 40nm @ 4000rpm
Attached Images  

Last edited by Felix_Kline; 12-14-2012 at 01:35 PM.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:36 AM
jparker36
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That dyno chart is impressive.... but I find it very hard to believe an exhaust can do it. 40 ft/lbs down low, and maintaining big gains up top? That just doesn't add up from all I've ever seen on GT3 exhaust dynos.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:54 AM
Felix_Kline
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

You are right. Its not just the exhaust. The car has been mapped also, after the installation of the exhaust.

realistically though, a map on a standard GT3 won t give you more than 5-8hp so the largest part of the gain was down to the exhaust.

the exhaust acts in two states, promoting low rpm torque when valves are closed, and higher rpm torque when valves are on bypass. the headers are also tuned to two harmonics, one at 3500 rpm, and one at 7000rpm.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:00 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Felix_Kline

Here is what I have right now..see the picture...I lost a lot of weight going this way...but...this system drones really really bad from 2500-4000 rpm. I knew about the drone going into this exhaust but it's worse than I though and seems to be getting worse. Plus I'm not sure the X crossover help or not. I hear different reports that the X pipe hurts power but then another exhaust company says the X pipe helps power. I like the idea of no side mufflers due to weight savings and getting a hot muffler away from the tire help at the track too.
Attached Images   
Old 12-14-2012, 02:39 PM
ShootingStar
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by savyboy

No sh*t. My pants started getting tight as soon as I read the thread title. Thank my lucky stars I don't have anything to put this on. I'd have already wired funds for the purchase. Innovation like this is just so darn rare. Well done Felix Kline, well fricken done
Makes me want to get one just for my growing art collection.

Quick Reply: Porsche 997 GT3 INCONEL 625 exhaust - KLINE INNOVATION Project