Sebring December 08/09 - Videos

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 01:27 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 292 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by The Greek
Originally Posted by senna
Like I said, I just started doing this a few months ago. Everyone wants to mod the car, including me. I just realize the only piece connecting the car and all the mods to the ground are the tires. I wont save money on tires anymore. If I go to the track I want the best tires I can afford.
All tires connect the car to the ground. Randy basically nailed it. You drive to the limit of your skills. R6 gives you a false sense of security. I am convinced R888 is a good tire when shaved. RA1 is already considered a great tire. R6 is crack cocaine, but I am fine with RA1 or NT01. The trick with doing DE's as a hobby is finding a good compromise between tire wear and cost. Best ratio right now is RA1 and NT01.
Lol

I'm going to slicks
Old 12-12-2012, 01:40 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Some more laps....not as exciting as the GT3DE Cup crew...but I'm having fun and getting more comfortable with the car and new mods. Next year I'll get another pro coach to try to take me out of my comfort level I'm at now.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:41 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by Izzone
Lol

I'm going to slicks
I heard some great things about the Pirelli slicks some were running over the weekend.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:44 PM
The Greek
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 65 Posts

Lol

I'm going to slicks
Your throne will be short lived. COTA is even playing field.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:44 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by FLA997
Eating him up in Bishops.
Yeah obviously he was driving very slow except the straights. I was over braking everywhere trying not to get too close and not comfortable. I could have stuck on his bumper Clarke style and drafted him on the straights I felt. I thought about pitting and going back out but thought I'll just hang with him for fun.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:33 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Giving a Viper some grief. I had my student in the car so I didn't push the issue but it was fun to follow him for a minute then it got irritating...finally got the point by.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:43 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by The Greek
Your throne will be short lived. COTA is even playing field.
Im trying to finalize a cup by COTA......u will be fauked
Old 12-12-2012, 02:49 PM
smf32s
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3DE
R888 is fine flat footed thru bishops. I did it both sessions I drove Stuart Fain's 997.1 GT3 this weekend.
Perhaps you can walk over there with me and help me scrape up some of my rubber so I can make it through Winterfest.

BTW-thanks for the help over the weekend from Izzone & GT3DE in my car. I'm finally getting Sebring down. Still slow compared to most of you but getting there and broke into the 2:29's.

Stu
Old 12-12-2012, 03:00 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,973 Likes on 1,746 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Yeah obviously he was driving very slow except the straights. I was over braking everywhere trying not to get too close and not comfortable. I could have stuck on his bumper Clarke style and bump-drafted him on the straights I felt. I thought about pitting and going back out but thought I'll just hang with him for fun.
Fixed it for you!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 12-12-2012, 03:26 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Giving a Viper some grief. I had my student in the car so I didn't push the issue but it was fun to follow him for a minute then it got irritating...finally got the point by.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dLJVmUhdw0&feature=plcp
Ha, hilarious watching that Vipers whole straight line advantage disappear in the braking zone. I used to be that guy getting owned in the brake zones when my car was fat.

BTW has anyone else noticed that the Vipers attract the worst drivers per car of any make? The ratio of bad drivers to cars owned is astonishing. Most egotistical in terms of not giving point by's too.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:32 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by wanna911
Ha, hilarious watching that Vipers whole straight line advantage disappear in the braking zone. I used to be that guy getting owned in the brake zones when my car was fat.

BTW has anyone else noticed that the Vipers attract the worst drivers per car of any make? The ratio of bad drivers to cars owned is astonishing. Most egotistical in terms of not giving point by's too.
The GTR crowd is alos pretty bad.....and those cars are fast
Old 12-12-2012, 03:58 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The GTR crowd is alos pretty bad.....and those cars are fast
Yeah, good point. The Viper just doesn't cover up for mistakes. I still think the ratio for the Viper is higher, but if you put some of the GT-R drivers in a Viper they likely wouldn't do any better.

Viper attracts ego's for some reason. There was a notorious pair of brothers that crashed, drove on fire oiling track online from 7-pits, or nearly caused pileups and never gave point by's at every event for a couple of years. Then there was the guy who showed up for his first DE in a Hennessey 650 Viper with sticker slicks for a NASA event at road atlanta of all places. I could go on all day on the crazy stuff the Viper guys have been doing. Have a lot of video of missed apexes, lack of point by's. It just seems like 60-70% of them are trippin in some way. Had a good laugh with Dave at the PBOC event this year about people deathly afraid to touch the gas pedal, or refusing to point by no matter how close you rode to them. Even some of the guys racing, at the PBOC or NARRA event, there were like 4-5 race Vipers coming down the hill into 12 in the grass, one after the other with no one around.

Old 12-12-2012, 04:14 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Yeah, good point. The Viper just doesn't cover up for mistakes. I still think the ratio for the Viper is higher, but if you put some of the GT-R drivers in a Viper they likely wouldn't do any better.

Viper attracts ego's for some reason. There was a notorious pair of brothers that crashed, drove on fire oiling track online from 7-pits, or nearly caused pileups and never gave point by's at every event for a couple of years. Then there was the guy who showed up for his first DE in a Hennessey 650 Viper with sticker slicks for a NASA event at road atlanta of all places. I could go on all day on the crazy stuff the Viper guys have been doing. Have a lot of video of missed apexes, lack of point by's. It just seems like 60-70% of them are trippin in some way. Had a good laugh with Dave at the PBOC event this year about people deathly afraid to touch the gas pedal, or refusing to point by no matter how close you rode to them. Even some of the guys racing, at the PBOC or NARRA event, there were like 4-5 race Vipers coming down the hill into 12 in the grass, one after the other with no one around.

There is a local D-bag viper guy that Deputy Dog goes to cars and cafe with

He has stupid hopsepower, runs "take of" slicks.....and wears a three point belt

We crack on him all the time......he thinks it looks cool when he drives his viper to cars and cafe on slicks, not understading what a heat cycle is
Old 12-12-2012, 04:16 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 754 Likes on 438 Posts

All so true but when you find somebody who can drive they are stupid fast around the track.

Peter
Old 12-12-2012, 04:25 PM
mdrums
Race Director

There is a local D-bag viper guy that Deputy Dog goes to cars and cafe with

He has stupid hopsepower, runs "take of" slicks.....and wears a three point belt

We crack on him all the time......he thinks it looks cool when he drives his viper to cars and cafe on slicks, not understading what a heat cycle is
that is freakin' hilarious!...I haven't been to a cars and coffee gig so I don't know Burkes friend...but this cracks me up.

Quick Reply: Sebring December 08/09 - Videos