Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT3 New Seats - Opinion on cage, roll bar or harness.

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2012 | 05:58 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rob in Potomac
I have just purchased a set of Euro GT3 seats to replace my sport seats in my 997.2 GT3. I am now trying to decide whether to install a harness bar, roll bar, or full cage. Car is used mainly for DE's, no racing and is driven to and from track.

Any thoughts and suggestions appreciated.

Rob in Potomac
All you need is a roll bar.
Get a DAS or GMG bolt in. Dont not weld plates to your floor for the Porsche Clubsport bar unless you are ok cutting your carpets and spending more money....
Old 12-11-2012 | 12:33 PM
Rob in Potomac
Advanced

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
All you need is a roll bar.
Get a DAS or GMG bolt in. Dont not weld plates to your floor for the Porsche Clubsport bar unless you are ok cutting your carpets and spending more money....
Based on replies, that is what I am looking for: either a DAS or GMG bolt in and have installed locally, together with my "new" seats.

Rob
Old 12-11-2012 | 12:34 PM
512bb
Drifting

Presume you are referring to street use. I am in Maryland, but looks like it is half cage or just harness bar. Thanks.

Rob
Yes, that is what I meant. Having those cross bars on the street is a pretty serious offence from what I remember, but on a non-nonsensical "safety" issue I believe as it makes it harder to exit the car.
Old 12-11-2012 | 12:37 PM
skl2
Rennlist Member

I have just purchased a set of Euro GT3 seats to replace my sport seats in my 997.2 GT3. I am now trying to decide whether to install a harness bar, roll bar, or full cage. Car is used mainly for DE's, no racing and is driven to and from track.

Any thoughts and suggestions appreciated.

Rob in Potomac
What are you doing with your OEM seats? PM me if you are thinking about selling. Thanks!
Old 12-11-2012 | 01:06 PM
32krazy!
Rennlist Member

agency power also makes a nice setup. the diagonal and the horizontal bars are removable. you can run both either or none for more access to the rear area. i found mine used for under 1000$ shipped and it fits like a glove with zero interior mods.
with all the bars watch the alcantara headliner when installing. it will rub for maybe 2 inches unless you protect it
Old 12-11-2012 | 07:59 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

I'm very happy with my GMG bar.

Another reason for a half cage: You shouldn't wear a HANS device with just a harness bar, bad things happen when your neck is locked in with HANS and you roll over without a roll bar.
Old 12-11-2012 | 09:27 PM
aero997c2s
Rennlist Member

Hey Rob, shot you PM back.
Old 12-12-2012 | 02:43 AM
Nan P
Pro

Very useful thread guys; I've been thinking of installing the factory Clubsport bar, but the idea of welding plates & cutting had me holding off.
With the Euro GT3 seats it's time to get a cage in there...
I'm going to check out the GMG bar.....but question - paint it white to match the exterior or leave it black?
Old 12-12-2012 | 02:50 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nan P
Very useful thread guys; I've been thinking of installing the factory Clubsport bar, but the idea of welding plates & cutting had me holding off.
With the Euro GT3 seats it's time to get a cage in there...
I'm going to check out the GMG bar.....but question - paint it white to match the exterior or leave it black?
Do you wear watches with bright red/green/yellow wrist bands? Then white.

If not, then black.

Quick Reply: GT3 New Seats - Opinion on cage, roll bar or harness.