Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Breaking news, this just in: Porsche snatches defeat fromt the jaws of victory

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 01:58 AM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Two types of CEOs - the financial gurus, and the operational gurus. VW is run by financial gurus, and I expect Porsche to go down this path. The brand will be negatively affected.

I deal with this all the time in my business, having sold a premium brand niche company to a multi-brand, financially-maniacle Fortune 120. We have seen our brand diminish due to poor quality (process optimizations) and a bottom line focus. Great way to pump short term profits, and erode long term value.

Bring on the Porsche light-trucks!
Old 12-08-2012, 02:12 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Having graduated from the Mitt Romney school of self-contradiction and cognitive dissoancne,

http://blogs.wsj.com/drivers-seat/20...off-the-table/

Porsche CEO Matt "walk on me" Mueller, describes the perils of developing a modern Porsche 550 (you know, one of the emblematic and legendary historic race winning giant killers that made Porsche synonymous with smaller, smarter cars that win races through prowess of handling and durability over raw power …) because of the damage it could do to the brand (you know, the thing that relies upon loyalty and value) so he's taking the safe way ... and producing a hundred thousand mini SUVs badge-engineered from VW and Audi, and plug-in hybrid 4000lb family sedans ... and he takes pride in the new Cayman because of its core value to the Porsche brand in terms of being 2 mpg better fuel economy than the old Cayman ... it all makes sense if you just pull your frontal lobes out through your nose and stuff VW's balance sheet up there to do the thinking for you ...
We simply have to realize that the PAG customer changed and changed significantly, and PAG knows it. The current customer is not looking out for small/nimble/dynamic, rather it's looking for large, laden with gadgets and powerful. Just look at the 991 forum and survey the order sheets, and these from forum members who proclaimed before to be true Porsche fans. When the 991 came out they lined up like zombies to get it.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:30 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The PAG customer changed because PAG is going after a market 4 times the size they used to have.
I'm pretty sure that any 'exclusive', quality product will have to be homogenized and dumbed-down to a lower, if not lowest, common denominator to met that goal; that's what we're seeing.

At some point, the Porsche name will not be a premier, exclusive entity. While GM (and I'm no fan) may have followed this path, they've been smart enough to keep the Corvette a halo car. I guess we have to hope that Porsche is as smart.

Last edited by stevecolletti; 12-08-2012 at 08:02 PM.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:37 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RSRRacer
..... and that's why I bought a 2011 RS.
That's the gist of it for me, too. I have a 2010 RS 3.8 and I haven't had a chance to track it since this time last year! I would normally have sold it in anticipation of "the next car I intend to keep forever" but now I'm more interested in buying a Carrera GT from someone selling theirs in anticipation of getting a 918.

Quick Reply: Breaking news, this just in: Porsche snatches defeat fromt the jaws of victory