Need videos of those who snuck off to RD ATL

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 12:49 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Nice job! T6
Dave, I was looking at that. Do you coach people to use 4th in turn 6? Andrew mentioned it to me, but after riding with me he thought it felt fine in 3rd. I never really gave it a shot though. I noticed Ron used 3rd as well, but maybe so he didn't have to double downshift to get to 2nd exiting 7. Seems counter intuitive for me when 3rd gear goes to 106 or so and I'm taking the turn at 78 mph.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:49 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,673 Likes on 776 Posts

I drome my car back to back between RA1 and MPSS. I think if you shave the SS they are practically as fast.

Extremely nice tire, 14K miles on wifeys car, inclusing a few laps on the track and still looks like very little wear.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:51 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,673 Likes on 776 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
Dave, I was looking at that. Do you coach people to use 4th in turn 6? Andrew mentioned it to me, but after riding with me he thought it felt fine in 3rd. I never really gave it a shot though. I noticed Ron used 3rd as well, but maybe so he didn't have to double downshift to get to 2nd exiting 7. Seems counter intuitive for me when 3rd gear goes to 106 or so and I'm taking the turn at 78 mph.
Grady knows how to go fast and he told me fith gear in T12 and drag brakes all the way into T6 in 4th. downsift only to 3rd for T7.

Seems to work. Ron revs the crap out of Randy's car, not so much as in Steve's GT3..
Old 11-27-2012, 12:59 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 814 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Grady knows how to go fast and he told me fith gear in T12 and drag brakes all the way into T6 in 4th. downsift only to 3rd for T7.

Seems to work. Ron revs the crap out of Randy's car, not so much as in Steve's GT3..
That makes sense in that you aren't prone to overslowing for T6 if you aren't downshifting and you carry more speed into T7 where you have to brake hard and downshift to 3rd. Will try that next time in the M3 and do some data compare.

Peter
Old 11-27-2012, 01:19 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by 85Gold
That makes sense in that you aren't prone to overslowing for T6 if you aren't downshifting and you carry more speed into T7 where you have to brake hard and downshift to 3rd. Will try that next time in the M3 and do some data compare.

Peter
I would rather overslow for 6 than 7 to be honest. 7 is far more important to me. I downshift into 3rd entering 6 and no shift for 7. I can't imagine you can use much HP in 4th at 75-80mph. I now in the video I've posted of Spencer he does it in 3rd as well, and that's an even shorter gear ratio and the fact that he does let's him power to 92mph between 6 and 7. Maybe for a smooth lap, but faster?

I will give it a go during a non important session this weekend see what the data shows.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:30 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for posting rons video. I enjoyed watching that seeing DD and randy trying to stay in front. Haha

Grady's downshifts and blips are music to my ears. Nice driving red bear
Old 11-27-2012, 01:55 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Video made Deputy Dog look like he was on a Sunday cruise in the country side.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:02 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,676 Likes on 867 Posts

Just compared to my T6, looks similar, anything aprticular you are looking at?
Back in February, I had made some suggestions to Grady on his braking profile & cadence into T6, and I was pleased to see in this video how well he implemented them.

Originally Posted by wanna911
Depends on the car, Dez. I have not driven your car, so I probably shouldn't comment. However, in a car like Grady's, yes, IMHO, 4th gear is best, since it does not force over-slowing to drop down to 3rd...plus, I can use a HELLUVA lot more throttle position for more of the real estate of T6 in 4th gear than I can all would out in 3rd. T66 is much faster thaqn most folks think. It bears some strong similarities to T1 in regards to camber, grip, and ability to carry sick amounts of speed, as you know. Gear choice (depending on car) can make a huge difference there.

Yep! Left foot brake softly in T6 in 4th gear! Just enough to bite the nose a bit & help the initial rotatioon w/o scrubbing off a lot of speed.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:23 PM
sstjohn
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Video made Deputy Dog look like he was on a Sunday cruise in the country side.
DD has become sneaky fast. All the dieting for Bumble Bee and himself, is working.

I need to post the video from about 4:45 on Sunday. Turn 5 was a complete whitewash becuase of the sun. It was scary. Turn, gas, pray.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:37 PM
jenk12m
Banned

John, I'm glad you liked my home track
Old 11-27-2012, 02:45 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,299 Likes on 1,874 Posts

in a car like Grady's, yes, IMHO, 4th gear is best, since it does not force over-slowing to drop down to 3rd...plus, I can use a HELLUVA lot more throttle position for more of the real estate of T6 in 4th gear than I can all would out in 3rd. T6 is much faster than most folks think.

It bears some strong similarities to T1 in regards to camber, grip, and ability to carry sick amounts of speed, as you know. Gear choice (depending on car) can make a huge difference there.
+1! This is definitely true.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 11-27-2012, 02:48 PM
senna
Burning Brakes

When is the next date for this track?
Old 11-27-2012, 02:57 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by 85Gold

Peter
The E46 (S54) is geared nicely for this approach, and it's how I typically take that turn. Given the E36 doesn't have the revs of the E46, I think it would work even better for your car. Similar turn to T1 at Barber in those respects.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:13 PM
sstjohn
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I found Road Atlanta to be a much more fun lap than Barber. I do like Barber, but it's no Road Atlanta.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:14 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Depends on the car, Dez. I have not driven your car, so I probably shouldn't comment. However, in a car like Grady's, yes, IMHO, 4th gear is best, since it does not force over-slowing to drop down to 3rd...plus, I can use a HELLUVA lot more throttle position for more of the real estate of T6 in 4th gear than I can all would out in 3rd. T66 is much faster thaqn most folks think. It bears some strong similarities to T1 in regards to camber, grip, and ability to carry sick amounts of speed, as you know. Gear choice (depending on car) can make a huge difference there.
Noted, hard to imagine, but I'll certainly try it if it's faster or as fast and smoother/easier. I always feel hurried in turn 6 trying to downshift and carry enough speed, I always feel slow in there. In fact, that's the place I have the most difficulty with a smooth blip. hmmmmm.....

Originally Posted by senna
When is the next date for this track?
NASA this weekend.

For Chin it will be a while, I think they have a one day Monday event in March and then don't really kick off at Road Atlanta until April/June.

But PBOC and Super Solo will be there late February and NARRA in April.

Quick Reply: Need videos of those who snuck off to RD ATL