Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Need videos of those who snuck off to RD ATL

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 05:18 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Congrat's Dez...can't wait to see the video!
Old 12-02-2012, 06:09 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
Thanks guys!!!

Conditions were varying actually. Last weekend was better(i.e. cooler all day). Times significantly faster now in the morning, fall off afternoon when it turns 70*. Road Atlanta is fastest cold as long as you get heat in the tire, my favorite is 35-40 and sunny with A6's.

Leh beat Reese for the TTR record by hundreths. Reese's tranny broke so he couldn't get revenge. Leh on Michelin Slicks, Reese on Pirelli's I think. It was a great weekend and I have some awesome front and rear video of the whole thing. You should see Leh and Reese trying vigorously to get heat in the slicks on the outlap (looked like alonso). Got a point by from Leh and Reese!!!! (on the out lap Beat Reese's old TTU record by .8. Troy even got to 164 mph on the back straight when he took my advise to take out as much rear wing as possible. I'm only at 166 now, for some reason my rev limiter is kicking in just before the braking zone costing me 2mph. Got walked by a cheating TTU Corvette claiming 550 whp and 3500 lbs. Either way, had lots of fun. Left some time on the table for sure though. My goals for next year are high!

I still have 45 whp I can add and stay in TTU. I doubt I'll get much more weight out, so adding power may be my only option (though I don't really want to). Would rather shave 120 lbs (car handles better on full tank).
Big congrats dez, I remember when we 1st started with the e39 M5 and the S55
Can't wait to see the videos
Old 12-02-2012, 06:18 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know right, I had NO BRAKES AT ALL after lap one, pedal straight to floor every time in that M5. But somehow it always managed to stop. I remember a Z06 blowing my doors off one time and being amazed at how fast it went by me. Now I sometimes imagine how much more astonishing it would be for the TT to go by it all out too.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:40 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,299 Likes on 1,874 Posts

I know right, I had NO BRAKES AT ALL after lap one, pedal straight to floor every time in that M5. But somehow it always managed to stop. I remember a Z06 blowing my doors off one time and being amazed at how fast it went by me. Now I sometimes imagine how much more astonishing it would be for the TT to go by it all out too.
Congrats! BIG speed!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 12-03-2012, 12:26 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Just had a chance to peek at my data for a minute. Good bit of time left on the table!!! Only got to 164 on my fastest lap because I was trying not to ride the rev limiter in 5th and no time to shift to 6th. The first lap is usually my build up lap so I'm usually 85% at the beginning. Lost .250 between S/F and turn 1 from my best segments because of this. Lost another .250 at the end of the lap not being able to use full throttle at end of straight and catching a competitor. No way I would have gotten a clean second lap so I backed off.

I think a second clean lap would have been a 1:25.x !!! Goal set for March!!!
Old 12-03-2012, 12:31 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Just had a chance to peek at my data for a minute. Good bit of time left on the table!!! Only got to 164 on my fastest lap because I was trying not to ride the rev limiter in 5th and no time to shift to 6th. The first lap is usually my build up lap so I'm usually 85% at the beginning. Lost .250 between S/F and turn 1 from my best segments because of this. Lost another .250 at the end of the lap not being able to use full throttle at end of straight and catching a competitor. No way I would have gotten a clean second lap so I backed off.

I think a second clean lap would have been a 1:25.x !!! Goal set for March!!!
Dez, out of curiosity what does your data say your TBL would be?
Old 12-03-2012, 01:54 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Short story: Only did one lap before catching traffic ( which happened to be another TTU car that luckily got in front of me) So I have no other fast laps in that session to have better sector times. TBL = Actual

Long story, a camaro RUINED my first session by being a mile behind everyone when we started caught him on my first hot lap in 12 going 60 mph down the hill into 12, didn't act like he saw me so I didn't pass. That slowed my time down to 1:29.1 which allowed another TTU car (1:28.9) to get in front of me for the next session . I gave the guy as big of a margin as I could and caught him at the end of my first lap so I let off. Taking some sector times from my other sessions this weekend though (traqmate will only use sectors from same session) would be 1:25.5.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:21 AM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just to hear that lap time for a 996 turbo is crazy
Old 12-03-2012, 06:29 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 671 Likes on 365 Posts

Dez, is your car still streetable? If so what mods have you done to it to get it this fast? I happen to love a fully caged car for the track, but I also have a 996TT, and have a notion to let her rip at the track some time. You obviously drive like a boss. Amazing times.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:06 AM
wanna911
Race Car

I ran my first 1:28 (1:28.9) while the car was still street legal other than the doors. Still had sunroof, AC, Carpet too. And on slower Kumho V710's. In fact I ran 1:32.6 on MPSC full weight with coilovers and sway bar (no aero) still AWD. A street legal TT could still be monster on the track. TTU is 5.5:1 weight to power ratio, and I've been trying to do it with stock 24 Turbos, that way there is no questioning my legality as these turbos only make up to 530 whp (mine is 515) period (unless you modify the Turbo). Had to sacrifice the interior to do that, but there is definitely a streetable approach to this speed. Probably would take me adding 150 lbs of AC/Interior/Airbags and changing the cup clutch out to make it streetable again. But adding some power would even the score. I still think the car is marginally faster in AWD though but not worth the .5 penalty NASA attaches to it, so i run RWD.

Other than that I've added stuff here and there, motorsport LCA's, Toe Arms, motor mounts, subframe bushings, and non adjustable upper control arms that don't really make the car much faster, but with the G forces I'm putting on it, the rubber from stock would be toast and my alignment changing under load. My coilovers are a custom valved set of JIC Cross I bought for $900, GT3 sway bars, OS Giken LSD. Aero is a getty wing (soon to be upgraded), I have a cup undertray with a homemade front splitter. Really pretty basic. It doesn't take much to make this car fast. Brakes are stock, gearing is stock, turbos and motor are just tuned, stock uprights. On slicks with only slightly better driving, easily a 1:24 car.

It's been my goal to prove to the people who keep putting 30k into suspension on the TT's and 20k into hp and claim it still can't beat a GT3 that they are just investing in the wrong stuff (I.E. spend the money on coaching and learning to drive better). I bought the car with the tune, and bought nearly the whole suspension (control arms) and aero setup in one swoop from a friend for about 5k. I want to win with talent, not $$$$$ and debunk the theories that the TT is not a capable car. Plus it's fun to own people in a different car, not something everyone fast has or expects to be fast (Corvette, GT3, Viper, GT-R etc)

With some sticker slicks and a few clean laps in a row, I could run 24's no doubt. Once I get it down to 5.5:1 (currently 6.1:1) who knows what it will do.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:20 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

King Leh did a 123.8 this weekend in his GTR. You guys are operating on a whole different level. Insane. Do you have any video with data overlay. I'd love to see corner speeds for comparison. I'm assuming you're still tracking on A6

I'm jealous of turbo torque. In hindsight I wish I had gotten a 996 GT2 instead. You made me chuckle when you said your car only makes 515 to the wheels
Old 12-03-2012, 10:22 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Disregard my last post. Old news. Jump to the most recent page without reading the previous.

Congrats again. Smoking.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:40 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Yeah the GT-R is 700+ whp, I've posted video of it putting a few bus lengths on my car. Mine is legit 515 whp. That's it, have a ton of dyno sheets, no switchable maps or boost controllers. Made 525 in 2007 on a different dyno with better (but heavier exhaust) Apparently still slower than a 560 whp Z06 weighing in at 3500 lbs (he put a few car lengths on me too, cheater) but a C6Z with the same or similar weight/power has NEVER pulled me.

I'd like to see Troy's data with him getting to 164 mph in his gutted .2 RS. That's still only 4mph slower than my car has ever been, even before rev limiter issues held me back.

Anyways, here is the video of the 1:26.9 on the older tires. A little sloppy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRr2p...ature=youtu.be
Old 12-03-2012, 10:47 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,676 Likes on 867 Posts

Well done! You'll recall that I have told you several times that your line from 1 thru 3 is exceptional...
Old 12-03-2012, 10:56 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Thanks Dave! I have listened and remembered every word you guys post and say when I'm around you. You, Andrew, Seth, Hank and any guys with more knowledge and experience I listen to very closely and its has really helped more than you can imagine. I will be working with as many of you as possible (officially) because I'm always looking for more input on getting better.

Didn't get a chance to REALLY test 4th in turn 6 with limited laps. Tried it one session and it felt great, only I'm so accustomed to just turning in at 7 I almost forgot to downshift it felt so smooth. Can't wait to really test it and see if I can make it work.

Quick Reply: Need videos of those who snuck off to RD ATL