Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

How Many of You Regret Going to a 997 GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 06:45 PM
kk2
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Old 11-22-2012, 07:02 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

**** very low miles. What's your asking price? You shouldn't sell it. Was suppose to get a white one when dealer had one and they screwed me ended up with guards red which is fine with me- next best color than yellow : ). Mike
Old 11-22-2012, 07:24 PM
kk2
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
**** very low miles. What's your asking price? You shouldn't sell it. Was suppose to get a white one when dealer had one and they screwed me ended up with guards red which is fine with me- next best color than yellow : ). Mike
I personally don't think there is a bad color for a gt3.

I'm not sure what I'd be asking. Looking what else is on the market and what has moved and what hasn't, I'm thinking $60k obo would be a starting point.

You know you need a streetable 6gt3 in your life.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:37 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hvac for the win - don't sell it!
Old 11-22-2012, 08:38 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

Wait another couple of years your car will be worth more!!! Classic!!! Mike
Old 11-23-2012, 11:09 AM
tguaturbo
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is a beautiful car! Can't speak to the 997 gt3 comparisons much at all since I only drove a .2 non RS at the Porsche Sport Driving School at Barber for 2 sessions and sport mode was disabled but it was still awsome. No street time in that car.

White was my first pick but the only other one out there was asking 67,500 with all the safety stuff in it. No AC in South TX would have been a non option for me too, but it sure is a great looking car. Best of luck with what ever you decide.
Old 11-23-2012, 03:16 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by kk2
I'm thinking about selling my 996 in order to buy a 997.1 rs or a .2 non rs.

I'm aware of people's views on both cars and I have driven both. I'm looking for the opinions of people that have made the switch.

It will be a pleasure car with light track duty. About 10 days/year, give or take.

What do you guys think?
i think that logical thinking and common sense reasoning does not apply when you think about getting any of those cars.

in your position i would think of 997.2 cars only - new electronics, 3.8L engine, it may be a nice change from 996 car, as of if 997.2 car will actually run considerably faster or different - probably not to the degree to justify a price difference, but if you got extra cash you will not regret about - why not? it is still same chassis, it is not a scuderia or zr1 or new viper, it is still same p-car in pretty much same trim. a bit different, a bit better here and there but still same thing, so, it all depends of how much you like it.

there are 2 nice '10 997.2 gt3 cars rigth now - one in CT, one at RI dealers, $110 and $112K. I looked at RI car, it is nice, but, i kinda burned off with this idea, one street car or another - it is all the same, I can find other better ways what to use $70k for.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:11 PM
007DT
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

OP:

I sold my track prepped but still Street Legal 6GT3 in this May and in September Purchased a 7GT3 RS.1. I had a good bit of track time on the 6 GT3 and just ran the RS for the first time on the track yesterday. here's my $.02

6GT3 is a great car if you plan on primarily tracking the car because of the entry fee. You also get a more feed back on the track and it is most certainly harder to drive fast as others have indicated. As you know it is a capable weapon on the track...

7.1 RS I feel it is just as fast with less effort. The gearing is a bit long from 3-5 which I didn't care for as much as other P-Cars I've driven. (My 6GT3 had a Ring/Pinion upgrade). I ran the RS yesterday at ~7/10-8/10. I had *** seat and felt naked at Road Atlanta without harness, HANS, Proper Seat, etc. Also the car is just so damn nice... So basically in stock form on Hoosiers I was clicking off 1:36 no Problem. I dipped in the 35's on a couple of laps... Car has an easy 2 more seconds in current form/set-up. (But traveling 163 down the back straight in 3 point seat-belt was a bit unnerving.) This is ~ the same as my track prepped 6GT3... The 7 feels much more stable and less darty than a 6.

So whats the difference? The 7RS is much, much, more refined interior, road ride, exterior looks, stable, and all around a better car.... An RS is also $40k more than a 6GT3... But I absolutely do not regret my decision.

Based on what you said you'd use the car for I'd say 997 all the way. Its a far better street car and still fun as hell on the track for the occasional use.

-IMO if you are only using a car on the track you should have a race prepped car. Once you have a car set-up specifically for a track all others feel soft, and somewhat unsafe.. (Unless fully caged and Halo Seat.)
- If you are heavy track and light to little street then a 6GT3 is a great car because of the cost and rewarding feeling of taming it. But if you can walk away from a 7GT3 balled up then....
- If you occasionally track and majority Street... 7GT3 or RS
Old 11-25-2012, 01:20 PM
kk2
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 007DT
OP:

I sold my track prepped but still Street Legal 6GT3 in this May and in September Purchased a 7GT3 RS.1. I had a good bit of track time on the 6 GT3 and just ran the RS for the first time on the track yesterday. here's my $.02

6GT3 is a great car if you plan on primarily tracking the car because of the entry fee. You also get a more feed back on the track and it is most certainly harder to drive fast as others have indicated. As you know it is a capable weapon on the track...

7.1 RS I feel it is just as fast with less effort. The gearing is a bit long from 3-5 which I didn't care for as much as other P-Cars I've driven. (My 6GT3 had a Ring/Pinion upgrade). I ran the RS yesterday at ~7/10-8/10. I had *** seat and felt naked at Road Atlanta without harness, HANS, Proper Seat, etc. Also the car is just so damn nice... So basically in stock form on Hoosiers I was clicking off 1:36 no Problem. I dipped in the 35's on a couple of laps... Car has an easy 2 more seconds in current form/set-up. (But traveling 163 down the back straight in 3 point seat-belt was a bit unnerving.) This is ~ the same as my track prepped 6GT3... The 7 feels much more stable and less darty than a 6.

So whats the difference? The 7RS is much, much, more refined interior, road ride, exterior looks, stable, and all around a better car.... An RS is also $40k more than a 6GT3... But I absolutely do not regret my decision.

Based on what you said you'd use the car for I'd say 997 all the way. Its a far better street car and still fun as hell on the track for the occasional use.

-IMO if you are only using a car on the track you should have a race prepped car. Once you have a car set-up specifically for a track all others feel soft, and somewhat unsafe.. (Unless fully caged and Halo Seat.)
- If you are heavy track and light to little street then a 6GT3 is a great car because of the cost and rewarding feeling of taming it. But if you can walk away from a 7GT3 balled up then....
- If you occasionally track and majority Street... 7GT3 or RS
Thanks. Exactly the feedback I was looking for.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:37 PM
stpatsday
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 62 Posts

Great thread. Thanks gentlemen.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:07 AM
GTRR
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 7 Posts

Just got my 7-3 last month. I've only done street and aggressive canyon driving. I get it out on a track for the first time next weekend. I can't wait! I never drove a 6-3 but I can't imagine an even stiffer ride! It must feel like a lowered 7-3! I think that I could actually DD if I had to....unfortunately, I fly more than I drive!
Attached Images  
Old 11-30-2012, 08:46 AM
kk2
Rennlist Member

There are a lot of things that add to the 6gt3 experience, but in a way, it does feel like a 997 with race springs.

I've decided to keep the 6 for now. I'll get the coolant pipes done over the winter, replace the 9 year old front tires (actually all 4 tires), and make sure the alignment is on point.

With how pristine my car is, I don't think I could justify jumping into something that costs almost twice as much and may not be in the condition mine is.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:29 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by kk2
... replace the 9 year old front tires (actually all 4 tires), ...
What?!?!?!
Old 11-30-2012, 12:32 PM
kk2
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FFaust
What?!?!?!
Fronts are oe. Rears were replaced in 08.

I know.. I know..
Old 11-30-2012, 12:53 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=kk2;10036199]I've decided to keep the 6 for now. QUOTE]

smart man... well about keeping it...

9 year old tires... not so much

Quick Reply: How Many of You Regret Going to a 997 GT3?