Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

How Many of You Regret Going to a 997 GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 01:35 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Bad GT3 owner! Don't make us send over the GT3 police to take that car away from you.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:48 PM
RedRSA
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
pjs, you dont need 6-3. you need to get your BOX first.

kk, sorry to tell you, your particular white 6-3 is a pos. i being the nice person that i am, will take it off your hand for $50k.

seriously though...
if street use, ANY 7 will be better than 6.
track use, 6 is cheap.
like bob R, i will not buy 7.1 variants, despite having had 4 7.1's.
7. 2 is miles ahead of 6, but $$$

if u monoball a 7.2 with MCS/JRZ/Ohlin etc, nothing else will touch it.
Mooty -

I'd like to modify the scenario a bit: for track use, how would you compare a 997.2 GT3 with monoballs and MCS compared to a stock 997.2 RS? Given the asking prices today, the modified GT3 would still be less money...

Thanks!
Old 02-18-2013, 09:00 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Mechanically, the cars are very nearly identical (RS has wide body, lightweight flywheel, titanium connecting rods, titanium exhaust, big wing, etc.), but once you start modding for track-dedicated use, I would think the track suspension would trump the stock RS. A great guy to ask is David O'Rourke (daveo4porsche). He's got the beautiful blue GT3 with loads of tasty go-fast bits. And he can drive the wheels of the damn thing!
Old 02-18-2013, 09:18 PM
RedRSA
Rennlist Member

Thanks; I'll try to reach David and hopefully some of the other GT3/GT3RS track guys will contribute their thoughts as well.

Obviously, RS with monoballs and MSC would be nearly ultimate...but the price of entry is pretty steep.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:28 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,700 Likes on 2,342 Posts

Originally Posted by RedRSA
Mooty -

I'd like to modify the scenario a bit: for track use, how would you compare a 997.2 GT3 with monoballs and MCS compared to a stock 997.2 RS? Given the asking prices today, the modified GT3 would still be less money...

Thanks!
ignoring price
gt3 u mentioned will b faster

is target yellow?
Old 02-18-2013, 10:21 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

As a de driver I doubt u can put a major dent in laptimes if u did so and so monoball and mcs. Feels great though. As a street car way too much bs and $$$ to make it better. It's cheaper to get coaching IMO. Mike
Old 02-18-2013, 10:53 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Define "major dent"
I think MCS/moton/jrz properly set up are worth a couple secs on a 2 minute/14 or so turn track
Old 02-18-2013, 11:36 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

1.5-2 seconds with so and so suspension mods per 2 min mile. I'm just pointing out coaching does way more wonders than any mods done on car. It doesn't matter what u do to a street car. Way to many variables. Driver is the key and that applies to any car modded or not. Driver is the constant in the equation ie look at spec racing(that's if everyone has same car- hahaha). Mike
Old 02-18-2013, 11:56 PM
DC640
Three Wheelin'

I need coaching bad... i have the car but the driver is no-good... =)
Old 02-19-2013, 12:14 AM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 197 Likes on 118 Posts

Beautiful car. Great choice on keeping it.
Now change the tires, lower it, change alignment, revalve the chocks, check sway bar settings etc etc ec. You can find setup sheets on Rennlist. It will be a great track car and a collectible.

Now I need to wash and polish my car to make it look as good as yours.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:38 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

.2 RS no forged gears (cast) according the Matt at Guard

6.2 & 7.1 5 bolt hubs - No centerlocks!

6.2 GT3 no nannies. No PSM. No PASM.

With the newer cars getting faster and easier to drive there is something very satisfying about driving the old school manual 6 GT3 at speed. The driver controls the car. A computer isn't intruding. There is always something on track faster. Who cares?

7.2 GT3 & RS much more capable machines at much more $$$ price.

I'm happy with what I've got.

Oh and that is one fine looking 6 GT3 you have there.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:59 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,700 Likes on 2,342 Posts

i wanta 6gt3....
8th time is a charm.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:25 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
There is always something on track faster. Who cares?

I'm happy with what I've got.

very well said.
you will be happy long-time
Old 02-19-2013, 08:27 AM
kk2
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by tgavem
Beautiful car. Great choice on keeping it.
Now change the tires, lower it, change alignment, revalve the chocks, check sway bar settings etc etc ec. You can find setup sheets on Rennlist. It will be a great track car and a collectible.

Now I need to wash and polish my car to make it look as good as yours.
You guys in the south are lucky. I haven't done anything but walk by my car in the last 3 months.

Collecting some parts. Will order tires closer to the spring.

Going to have the coolant pipes welded, new tires/alignment/toe arms, and safety equipment installed.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:26 PM
RedRSA
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the comments guys; my apologies to the original posting for this slightly tangential hijack...

Originally Posted by mooty
ignoring price
gt3 u mentioned will b faster

is target yellow?
Yellow, as in color of the car? Affinity for Guards Red and silver wheels like my RSA; for GT3 prefer Red, Meteor Gray and Silver; for RS order would be PTS GR with silver wheels, white w/gold, gray w/gold and gray w/red. If asking about brakes, no interest in yellow (PCCB).

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
As a de driver I doubt u can put a major dent in laptimes if u did so and so monoball and mcs. Feels great though. As a street car way too much bs and $$$ to make it better. It's cheaper to get coaching IMO. Mike
First, I agree about coaching; the most important factor and best bang for the buck. Regarding technology, with Porsche engineering as the starting point it is definitely a case of diminishing returns when making "improvements". That said, I am used to a track prepared RSA with Motons, ERP monoballs, all steel bushings, etc. and appreciate the feel and precise, responsive control it provides. I realize the .2 GT3/GT3RS are light years beyond the RSA in terms of technology advancement, but I'm used to a track car, not a street car.

Originally Posted by PJS996GT3
Define "major dent"
I think MCS/moton/jrz properly set up are worth a couple secs on a 2 minute/14 or so turn track
Seems crazy to chase those seconds, as they aren't cheap. But who ever said this hobby/passion made financial sense? ;-)

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
1.5-2 seconds with so and so suspension mods per 2 min mile. I'm just pointing out coaching does way more wonders than any mods done on car. It doesn't matter what u do to a street car. Way to many variables. Driver is the key and that applies to any car modded or not. Driver is the constant in the equation ie look at spec racing (that's if everyone has same car- hahaha). Mike
As was pointed out to me by Mike Levitas this past weekend, even the factory pros like Mike Rockenfeller come with coaches - they never stop learning. Mike had David Murray and Randy Pobst coaching him at Sebring.

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
.2 RS no forged gears (cast) according the Matt at Guard

With the newer cars getting faster and easier to drive there is something very satisfying about driving the old school manual 6 GT3 at speed. The driver controls the car. A computer isn't intruding. There is always something on track faster. Who cares? I'm happy with what I've got.
Interesting info about the gear composition; the implication is that the cast gears in the RS are stronger/less fragile than the forged gears?

I hear what you're saying about the joy of driving an old school car; my RSA is far more connected to the track and provides a more engaged level of driver involvement than the newer cars. PSM, PASM, etc.; heck, my RSA doesn't even have power steering, and I love it! That said, those I know that loved their 964's and 993's before going to GT3 never looked back.

The issue for me is that I've developed it over 12 years and driven it 30,000 track miles; it is in perfect/fresh condition, and it is like a second skin that does exactly what I want it to, but therein lies the rub - my RSA is an amazing track car, but I'm ready for a new challenge, a renewed level of excitement on this journey!

Quick Reply: How Many of You Regret Going to a 997 GT3?