Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

possible DE by MVP at F1 track in Texas - COTA

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 07:05 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chin, DM, or PBOC out there would be fantastic. However, like Clarke mentioned we ran with MVP at road America and had no issues with passes or moving chicanes
Old 11-01-2012, 07:17 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 85Gold
HOD Florida and Southern States don't have good passing rules. NASA HPDE4 and TT are good passing but they sometimes cram way to many cars on track. PCA sorta sucks also unless you are an Inst.

Peter
Ah- varies widely by location then. Here HOD has (D Group) what you guys are calling Super Solo, no point-by passing all track if you have proven yourself to be aware, respectful and cooperative. Pre-run group meeting of who you are running with with a 30 sec bio by each. You get to put a face and voice to who you are on track with. I think it is very cool.

C group with them as I recall is point by all track. So liberal as well.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:19 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,315 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Originally Posted by Seth Thomas
Guys, keep this in the back your heads. I will have a good amount of track time at Austin by the time everyone starts doing DEs. I would love to come out and help you guys learn the track. Shoot me a PM for some Rennlist group rates
Ya'll should take advantage of this. I'm already training the Historic Grand Prix drivers (support race for the first GP in a few weeks) via simulator training online. I've already got a bunch of laps on that place. Turn 1 is AWESOME! If Seth is sold out, I'll be available.

I know let's get Mark Hicks to bring the Chin trailer out to TX. That would be a big win. Or get David Murry to run one of his events there.
Peter
^^THIS is the BEST solution^^
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 11-01-2012, 07:19 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mobonic
If point by is required then I will not go with that group, it ruins your day when you get people that have tunnel vision.

Thats when you walk up to their car after the session and say, "wow, your car does have mirrors, I just wanted to check."
LOL

I never said that to slow cars but I know what you mean. What I do with super slow drivers is that I pass them really fast before they even notice anything changed. It's kind of like getting novacaine shot at dental office ... Speed = less pain
Old 11-01-2012, 07:55 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 814 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by mikymu
LOL

I never said that to slow cars but I know what you mean. What I do with super slow drivers is that I pass them really fast before they even notice anything changed. It's kind of like getting novacaine shot at dental office ... Speed = less pain
It's not slow cars/drivers you have problems with. It is unaware drivers. When I take my E36M3 out in open groups I just keep an extra watchful eye out as the closing speeds are higher on the straights, in the turns not so much.

Peter
Old 11-01-2012, 08:40 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GT3DE
We did Road America this summer with MVP during Mancation (I think there were more than 10 of us there). Correct me if I am wrong, but I do not remember ever getting held up the whole time we were there. As for our own group, the passing signals came by one of our guys trying to get out of the way of the faster cars. The only time I was on someones bumper - it was one of us! And I was doing it on purpose.

Not sure which Road America DE it was - either MVP or Nord Stern PCA (best run PCA DE ever) as we ran back to back DE events - but we were passing where ever we wanted whenever we wanted and everyone was respectful and no one was blocking and no one was crying to the stewards. Except this one time when we were 3 side coming out of t8 and I split 2 cars. Stujelly was one of them and did not anticipate that move and he kindly let me know afterwards (all good, we had dinner together that later that summer at Watkins Glen and laughed about it).
That's good to know but there is always the what ifs. If Mark decide to be a stickler with passing rules and black flag the whole session because there are too many cars passing every where then we are screwed. We can't always count on the organization to look the other way when they have spell out the passing rules which has to do with their DE insurance policy etc. Being able to sign up to a track event that does not require point by and passing every where for advance driver give you that much more assurance the fun factor will be huge and effort justified in hauling our cars all the way to Austin.

It's not slow cars/drivers you have problems with. It is unaware drivers. When I take my E36M3 out in open groups I just keep an extra watchful eye out as the closing speeds are higher on the straights, in the turns not so much.

Peter
Agree Peter. Certain people are so tunnel vision on the track which makes them super dangerous
Old 11-01-2012, 09:03 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3DE
FWIW - the best DE is by PBOC and they have a group ABOVE Advanced Solo, called Super Solo. Super Solo is open passing, no signals, no pointing, anywhere on the track. Fantastic. One caveat - no one with a racing license of any kind can run in Super Solo.
And with super solo.....it is self policing

If the group does not see a driver as safe for a de environment they are asked to leave the group by Shuster

Some fantastic drivers.....better than most de cup, can't be in super solo......too sideways and considered high risk to the super solo group
Old 11-01-2012, 09:05 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

it's a new track - i reckon caution should be applied as nobody really knows the track yet.
the organisers are under a lot of liability there. they are doing it correctly.
drivers in fast groups 'normally' move out of the way pretty efficiently anyway.

just get the organisers to create RENNLIST run-group like rad said, and run under silent by-laws.
if you get 20 or more participants locked-in, maybe that is viable.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:05 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mikymu
That's good to know but there is always the what ifs. If Mark decide to be a stickler with passing rules and black flag the whole session because there are too many cars passing every where then we are screwed. We can't always count on the organization to look the other way when they have spell out the passing rules which has to do with their DE insurance policy etc. Being able to sign up to a track event that does not require point by and passing every where for advance driver give you that much more assurance the fun factor will be huge and effort justified in hauling our cars all the way to Austin.

Agree Peter. Certain people are so tunnel vision on the track which makes them super dangerous
No worries.....I don't mind staying planted on a slow cups bumper....makes for good video
Old 11-01-2012, 09:07 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
it's a new track - i reckon caution should be applied as nobody really knows the track yet.
drivers in fast groups 'normally' move out of the way pretty efficiently anyway.

just get the organisers to create RENNLIST run-group like rad said, and run under silent by-laws.
A good driver should know a track in half a day....then work up braking points and apex speed
Old 11-01-2012, 09:11 PM
drl
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 65 Posts

Yes. And so i would be ok with point by friday morning sessions. No biggie, i can handle that. But after that open for rest of weekend.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:11 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

randy - yes, of course....working on your own.
but the intricacies take much longer, and when a bit of 'DE CUP racing' is thrown into the mix...it's too dangerous.

look at reno - nobody knew where they were going.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:13 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

passing is off-line. that is where stuff happens...
Old 11-01-2012, 10:41 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 814 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by drl
Yes. And so i would be ok with point by friday morning sessions. No biggie, i can handle that. But after that open for rest of weekend.
This is DE not Racing. Nothing wrong with point bye passing Just open it up for the whole track. Or the David Murry rules open passing in straights and point bye in turns. I believe there were no problems with that format at VIR last month.

Peter
Old 11-01-2012, 10:52 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Just got word from Mark at MVP that advance group allow passing through SOME of the turns but point by is still mandatory. They have no idea at this time which turns they are going to allow passing since no one has driven the track other than playing it on playstation.

Anyone know if there are sound restriction at COTA?

As you can see from this video of COTA it has long straights with many elevation changes which will reward high HP cars ... don't bring your miata

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy

Theoretically it's a great idea but no track organization will allow special groups with different rules on the track if it varies from their DE insurance policy. We can run the advance group together and leave the pit in a pack and do our own thing and that's as far as it goes

Originally Posted by Izzone
No worries.....I don't mind staying planted on a slow cups bumper....makes for good video
until you get really bored after getting stuck for 5+ turns

Originally Posted by drl
MVP is not going to allow that unless rennlist DE drivers fill up the advance group and do our secrete hand shake etc.

Quick Reply: possible DE by MVP at F1 track in Texas - COTA