Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

new TPMS sensors, still not reading

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 02:51 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,592 Likes on 737 Posts

Originally Posted by the_vetman
I know this is a common sentiment but I find them helpful on the track. Both of my track wheels have TPMS and I can tell if the tires are overheating (40+ psi) and not to go crazy until I bleed them. I can also see whether the pressures/temps have come up before hammering it down the track.

I had an incident a couple of years ago where I went agricultural at over 100 mph on the back straight at Mid-Ohio - a turbo had blown its coolant lines couple of cars in front of me. Scared the **** out of me but thankfully no crash. When I came back onto the track it felt like the tires had gone flat. But I was able to look at TPMS and see they were fine - tires feeling strange were due to the grass and dirt on the wheels as well as more coolant on the track.

So they can be helpful in certain situations as long as you can put up with the red "Flat Tyre!!" warnings until they heat up.
I liked them and try to make them work so much for all those reasons but i never made a session before they all crap out. Best case 2 would still be working giving me an idea but i just gave up.
Old 12-17-2014, 03:21 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,494 Likes on 2,274 Posts

hey i have that instruction verbatim!

Originally Posted by Spyerx
if you decide to disable, these are the steps. I watched the PIWIS coding, it's pretty straight forward.

TPMS Disable:
1: First you must actually disconnect the TPMS control unit so that the CAN Controller does not continue to recognize it. The control unit is located in the front trunk next to brake fluid reservoir. Remove and unplug the dome light on the cowling plastic. Remove all of the screws that hold this entire plastic panel in. There are a good number on top by the seal and one on each side by the bottom.
2: Now unplug the control unit it is part number 997 618 103 06, Do not remove it. This way you can always just plug it back it and use it again.
3. Reassemble the front trunk again.
4. Hook up the PIWIS tester to the car via the OBD2 port and do a complete check of all the control units.
5. Select "Gateway" and then "Coding" then ""Required Control Units List". This will list all installed CAN units.
6. Now select "Tire Pressure Monitoring System" and change to " Not Installed" and code it, then exit to the main screen again.
The next steps will code your instrument cluster and to do so will require that you have your engine number, so have it handy, you will find out why.
7. Select "Instrument Cluster" and then "Coding" then "Vehicle Variants".
8. Now select your "Model Year" then "Model", "Roof Version", "Country" (02 is for USA, Puerto Rico). The next item will be "Versions" (553 is USA/Canada).
9. Select your "Individual and exclusive equipment" by highlighting each item that would apply such as: 454-Cruise, 023-Silver Colored Gauge faces etc. DO NOT select 423/483 TPM!!!! This is the TPMS for the cluster and must not be highlighted.
10. Move to the next screen and finish the "Audio and Communication " by highlighting what applies to your car.
11. Next will be the "Wheel Size" and finally it will ask about your engine number.
12. Proceed forward and then Code with F8.
Old 12-17-2014, 05:19 AM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I liked them and try to make them work so much for all those reasons but i never made a session before they all crap out. Best case 2 would still be working giving me an idea but i just gave up.
Interesting. Guess I've been lucky so far!
Old 12-17-2014, 08:19 AM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 473 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
Now I just need to find someone in DFW that has a PIWIS or durametric pro. It appears OEwheels doesn't know which sensors my 07 needs.
I used the menu selector and it came right up:

http://www.oewheelsllc.com/TPMS-Sens...T#.VJF0qSvF-So
Old 12-17-2014, 04:36 PM
cam2008
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
Thanks happen to know the frequency for the 07 Tpms ?

I used tire rack to figure what I needed, put a set of wheels with TPMS in the cart and then look at the cart.

PS I used the Durametric to delete the TPMS since it caused me the same grief as you and I had the right frequency.
Old 12-19-2014, 07:51 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,592 Likes on 737 Posts

Cam2008, your avatar is too small I can't uhm, read the text.
make it bigger.

Originally Posted by the_vetman
Interesting. Guess I've been lucky so far!
I think heat...
Old 12-19-2014, 09:59 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,064 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
hey i have that instruction verbatim!

Lol. I'd forgotten
Old 01-25-2015, 09:57 PM
MagnusB
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I had my wheels with TPMS off for a while and now none of them register.
Has the TPMS control unit gone bad or?

Quick Reply: new TPMS sensors, still not reading