Roll call Sebring Nov 3-4 with Chin

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 07:30 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Izzone
I have a Traqmate complete for sale with Gopro integration....PM if interested
Senna, this is you...I'm sure Randy will help you install.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:32 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3DE
Shrek & Donkey
hahaha brutal!

fwiw the video footage looked better on traqmate...
Old 11-08-2012, 08:19 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What is reason for switching?
Old 11-09-2012, 12:58 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,219 Likes on 1,852 Posts

I can't answer for the guys, but the major reason is: pull the SD card, plug in and play data-overlaid video. Two cameras included.

The software features GPS position justified video and data side by side, up to six laps or segment comparisons, real time.

It also starts and stops without pushing any buttons and knows where it is as soon as it gets a GPS lock.

In other words, idiot proof!

Downside is the background has to be setup beforehand, some risk of GPS dropout and no actual accelerometer data, only GPS derived. Plus, the software is limited, like Traqmate. CAN interface is limited and buggy.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 11-09-2012, 12:59 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Just like Racekeeper
Old 11-09-2012, 01:10 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
What is reason for switching?
because there are vastly better systems.

Traqmate is fine for Green Group students, and cars with Nitro, Superchargers or multiple turbos.

My TM complete has been sitting on the dust for almost a year, it is for sale too, cheap.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:10 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 765 Posts

Main reason for switching is crappy hardware made from bubble gum wrapper material and cheap, cheap cheap cables etc. and the hassle of downloading data and video and then merging. Software is also counter intuitive, but I figured it out eventually. Upgrades are the price of a new system.
This was Traqmate's business to lose and they are losing.

Reason for VBox is the idiot proof simple Video/data side by side.
Less data, less nice video but better than racekeeper I think. Hopefully newest camera's are a bit better.
Plenty of people to assist with questions and support. I'm confident if I have it installed and prepped right in my car and on my laptop it will work.

Just simple, simple simple with decent solid hardware.

Aim gives you a lot more data, but I use data only to identify the faster slower segments and then go look at video to see what we are doing, so for me VBox is best match. Aim is better if you dig deep into pure data perhaps, but the OBD2 connection is not perfect and limited software to suck data out of the ECU still so no real advantage there.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:18 PM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

I got my VBox because Redbear (Grady) said it was great. Now that the Famous Trakcar has it I feel vindicated.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:45 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How does it get g-forces without an accelerometer? How accurate is that?

I agree, traqmate is letting the industry run away and leave them. Their prices for some of the upgrades are ridiculous compared to the price of the unit. You could easily spend as much as an AIM system putting stuff together. If I have to buy anything else, I'm moving on too. I don't too much mind the video thing, it's really easy for me, plus I always edit length and customize gauges and stuff on race render. I enjoy that actually. I hate the stupid session date glitch on the traqdash, and it's garbage that they have released updates that didn't fix it.

Rad, your comment on green group is nonsense, I'm not going to let that one slide. I have certainly shaved many many seconds off my lap times using my traqmate. Don't need drama queen answers.

The throttle position or steering position sounds interesting, but I don't know how to use it in the data to make me faster. Traqmate already has more data than I can figure out exactly how looking at each thing relates to speed. Until I know what the data is that I need, I'm not adding more of it. I do like the adding overlay feature, want that for sure, and the side by side video, that's nice too. But I like my bright Traqdash, it has pretty colors...... Lol.

I'll be interested in hearing how it works out. I'm a gadget junky, love new gadgets. Traqmate is lapping at 3:00 per lap while the industry is moving at 2:00 per lap.

Peter, you have any good data analysis book recommendations?
Old 11-09-2012, 03:27 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Race Keeper has an acellerometer correct Deputy Dog?
Old 11-09-2012, 09:37 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
because there are vastly better systems.

Traqmate is fine for Green Group students, and cars with Nitro, Superchargers or multiple turbos.
Rad! <grin> C'mon, it's not that bad! Just because the AiM works on the big Fiat so well (and the P-car, too) isn't a reason to trash Traqmate. Heck, I'm using Traqmate (and MoTeC) with a few GT3 Cup drivers going low 1:50's (and just Traqmate with 2 2-liter 901's going 2:07's ?!?!?!) at Daytona this weekend and it works just FINE. I can ASSURE you these guys aren't Green Group students... <big grin>

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR

Less data, less nice video but better than Race-keeper I think.

Plenty of people to assist with questions and support. I'm confident if I have it installed and prepped right in my car and on my laptop it will work.

Aim gives you a lot more data, but I use data only to identify the faster slower segments and then go look at video to see what we are doing, so for me VBox is best match.

Aim is better if you dig deep into pure data perhaps, but the OBD2 connection is not perfect and limited software to suck data out of the ECU still so no real advantage there.
All good points.

A lot here, but Traqmate is fine for vintage cars. AiM is actually the best CAN-wise, but as you say, how many people really need that? Still think the "one-chip" solutions like AiM, VBOX and Race-Keeper are a more usable, hence more valuable tool. I do like Traqmate for the simplicity of DATA, but not many use that. Race-Keeper video and audio suck, IMO.

Originally Posted by GT3DE
I got my VBox because Redbear (Grady) said it was great. Now that the Famous Trakcar has it I feel vindicated.
Good choice, then!

Originally Posted by wanna911
How does it get g-forces without an accelerometer? How accurate is that?

I agree, traqmate is letting the industry run away and leave them.

I hate the stupid session date glitch on the traqdash, and it's garbage that they have released updates that didn't fix it.

I have certainly shaved many many seconds off my lap times using my traqmate.

The throttle position or steering position sounds interesting, but I don't know how to use it in the data to make me faster.

Peter, you have any good data analysis book recommendations?
Good post! A lot of good points! Chris Brown, "Making Sense of Squiggly Lines," Bob Knox's "Practical Data Analysis" and John Block's webinar series is very good. I'm headed to Orlando to spend some of my profits on Claude Rouelle's fantastic MoTeC analysis series.

In answer to the non-accelerometer derived g's, no. I don't think it's accurate enough to calculate accurate rise times or decay. But it's fine for comparison between two drivers... Which is perfect for DE Cup!

Originally Posted by mdrums
Race Keeper has an acellerometer?
Yes, R-K has two accelerometers.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:44 PM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Main reason for switching is crappy hardware made from bubble gum wrapper material and cheap, cheap cheap cables etc. and the hassle of downloading data and video and then merging. Software is also counter intuitive, but I figured it out eventually. Upgrades are the price of a new system.
This was Traqmate's business to lose and they are losing.

Less data, less nice video but better than racekeeper I think. Hopefully newest camera's are a bit better.

Aim gives you a lot more data, but I use data only to identify the faster slower segments and then go look at video to see what we are doing, so for me VBox is best match. Aim is better if you dig deep into pure data perhaps, but the OBD2 connection is not perfect and limited software to suck data out of the ECU still so no real advantage there.
Race keeper for me. Lots of good data/segmenting and good communication with car computer and will work with the motec display. Although I dont have a motec display. The video is ok, but I throw on a go pro 2 on for the fun stuff.

It is all personal preference.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:55 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by stujelly
It is all personal preference.
BTW, I just sold a VVB Lite system AND an AiM SmartyCam that is plug and play for the MoTeC system in the 997 GT3 Cup cars, so no exclusivity there.

And as I've known from more than a decade of selling and teaching drivers how to use these tools, it's what your friends have... And what you'll USE.

There are regional pockets of particular systems, as there are various series and sanctioning bodies that have "official" data and video systems.

It's all good...
Old 11-09-2012, 10:17 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Do any of you think that over analyzing your driving could actually make you slower? Does this over analyzing take the feel away from driving?

Sometimes I think that I over think driving and forget about just feel what the car is doing. To me it's kind of like musicians that over think the music and their technique and they sound sterile and play with no feel and lose their sound.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:18 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

agree.

Quick Reply: Roll call Sebring Nov 3-4 with Chin