Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Can you get away with a harness and standard 997.1 seats?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 08:56 AM
007DT
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Can you get away with a harness and standard 997.1 seats?

My RS will very rarely see track time. When it does I'd prefer to have a harness over a 3-point for obvious reasons. I have a GMG RSR roll bar for the car that hasn't been installed and I have a few race seats from my M3 that I could potentially plug in. But I'm curious if anyone has used harnesses w/ the standard seats. Again this is a 2 times a year at max use.

I know that the sub belt on Shroth set-up is where the buckle is but I'm curious if that could be fed through the back/bottom of the seat? Or if there are still 4 point set-ups out there.

I've also thought about fabricating something that holds the shoulder belts close to eachother such as guides similar to how they are fed through race seats.

Thoughts.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:02 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 007DT
My RS will very rarely see track time. When it does I'd prefer to have a harness over a 3-point for obvious reasons. I have a GMG RSR roll bar for the car that hasn't been installed and I have a few race seats from my M3 that I could potentially plug in. But I'm curious if anyone has used harnesses w/ the standard seats. Again this is a 2 times a year at max use.

I know that the sub belt on Shroth set-up is where the buckle is but I'm curious if that could be fed through the back/bottom of the seat? Or if there are still 4 point set-ups out there.

I've also thought about fabricating something that holds the shoulder belts close to eachother such as guides similar to how they are fed through race seats.

Thoughts.
I mean this in the most positive and constructive way: you need to invest the time into understanding how harness systems work and are to be installed. Schroth makes a very good pdf guide, available here: http://www.schrothracing.com/sdocs/2...structions.pdf

Unfortunately I see suicidally installed restraint systems very frequently.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:29 AM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it is ONLY 2 times a year and you are not exceeding 7/10 then I would use the 3 point. You probably wont be sliding around in your seat.
However, if like me you get the track bug then get GT2 seats. See you in Stuttgart on the 22nd.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:33 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

the standard seats with standard seat belts will get you through a couple of track days. You will notice under hard braking that the seat back has some slop in it and the seat belt will constantly tighten around your waist.
Laterial hold also is minimal.

Harnesses will not work with your stock seats..... no crotch belt and the shoulder straps wont reach to where you need them to hold you in.

Since you have a roll bar laying around, i figure it wont be long until you scratch the itch to install it along with some GT2 seats.

happy hunting for a pair of used GT2 seats this winter. A used set always comes along every once and awhile...

Also, what color was your 996 GT3? love that car and the color!
Old 10-11-2012, 09:39 AM
On Pole
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It can be done, but is is not safe. Safety first!!
Old 10-11-2012, 09:52 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

3 point with a CG Lock will be fine. You can use a harness with seats not design for them because in the event of an accident the shoulder straps can come off your shoulders.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:17 AM
rideau
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Is installing the Brey Krause lap belt mounts plus an additional lap belt while still using the standard 3 point belt system an option?
Old 10-11-2012, 10:27 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 007DT
I have a few race seats from my M3 that I could potentially plug in. But I'm curious if anyone has used harnesses w/ the standard seats.
Thoughts.
PCA club is very different from BMW club. PCA does not allow to use custom guides for harnesses - i saw several bwm cars with such - you mount them at the top of a standard seat to guide rear harness belts, so, you will not pass an inspection in most PCA clubs with that. your seats backrest must have built-in holes/guides for rear belts, it is a given.

next are anti-sub belts. seat must have 6 or 5 point harness guides - means base of the seat must have a hole for anti-sub belts to come up and you are forbidden to modify your seat. i use recaro sporster seat that does not have such holes and i use 4 point harness that has anti-sub system and works in same way as any regular 6pt system works - TeamTech Jet Pilot. it is a great harness and it is allowed by regulations.
http://leadingedge.myshopify.com/pro...tech-jet-pilot

i use removable brey krause harness bar, my mechanic curses every time he sees this as it is worst thing you may have - it reduces safety to have a harness with no cage to prevent roof from crashing your neck in a case of a roll. but rules allow that.
http://www.bkauto.com/category_s/178.htm
Old 10-11-2012, 10:36 AM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

are your OEM power seats? even if not, a little trick/alternative to CG lock: slide seat all the way back, buckle in, yank on shoulder belt hard which should lock the belt, slide seat fwd while keeping belt locked. CG only holds in your lap but this method adds some stability on upper torso as well (while still allowing your head/shoulders to move sideways in the event of a roof collapse).
Old 10-11-2012, 10:49 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rideau
Is installing the Brey Krause lap belt mounts plus an additional lap belt while still using the standard 3 point belt system an option?
use cg lock instead - it is cheap and it will prevent your lower body motion a bit, but it is not a substitution for a proper seat. a lot of people are afraid of it - but in reality it is a 10min job to unbolt one seat and put in an another. it is very easy, if you have space to store a spare seat - just buy any old recaro and put it in for track days and later put back stock seat. it may be easier and cheaper than to do all other mods - you can find older cloth 'sport' or pole position recaro seat for like $400 or even less, just search around. it does not have to be fancy, just practical.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:17 AM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

Schroth makes harnesses that you can use w/ stock seats.. even one that you can use w/ HANS..

http://www.schrothracing.com/store/Tuning
Old 10-11-2012, 11:32 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 762 Posts

My thought is that you are about to step onto that slippery slope
Old 10-11-2012, 11:42 AM
jparker36
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Schroth belts don't have a porsche specific application- and most bodies (SCCA, NASA, PCA) won't allow them b/c they are mostly not installed correctly and are not safe.

Also - the use of any harness system without a proper roll bar/cage is compromising safety. Spend the money on a half cage, gt2 seats, and proper harnesses
Old 10-11-2012, 11:45 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jparker36
Also - the use of any harness system without a proper roll bar/cage is compromising safety. Spend the money on a half cage, gt2 seats, and proper harnesses
correct. with one correction - you can get anything that fits from used $300 pole position recaros up to gt2 seats for $9k, it only matters to have a hole inthe base of the seat for anti-sub belts and to have guides for rear belts in the backrest.
half cage is highly advicable, then hans or at least a foam collar under helmet to save your neck.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:45 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

Best bet is get the appropriate seat with the holes in the seat for shoulder and sub belt. Side impact(hope it doesn't happen) the shoulder straps on stock seats is useless. But if 2 events a year I leave it as is. Mite be an advantage of having the half cage in incase of rollover and chassis stiffness. Mike

Quick Reply: Can you get away with a harness and standard 997.1 seats?