Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

germany

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 01:05 PM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile germany

UPDATE: just got back yesterday from a nice enjoyable trip to Germany. Good weather. No rain, temp in 60's. Thanks to everyone who gave us tips and suggestions. The highlight was the Porsche factory tour for me over and above the Mercedes, BMW, or even the Porsche museums. The tour really brught the Nat Geo special to life. Saw the building where the 356 was made and where the new 918 will be built. Our tour guide knew nothing of a manual 991 GT3 so no help there. Met Dave 007DT, nice guy; not sure if he made it to the ring or not. Survived the autobahn as well and the Ford rental car with the NAV in German.

Before:
Heading to germany for fun with wifey in a week. Plans for porsche factory tour on 22nd in Stuttgart; porsche and mercedes museum trips sun day before. 4 days of europcar rental from heidelberg through the black forest and then to stuttgart for 2 days; then train to munich (BMW museum) and then back to Frankfurt via train before heading back to USA. A rhine river cruise/castle tour during the initial jet-lag days.

Any tips on driving...let by zones ? ask if the new 991 GT3 with come in a manual ? What is a Macan? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by seapar; 10-26-2012 at 05:49 PM. Reason: trip over
Old 10-05-2012, 01:12 PM
Yannick-HST
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 56 Posts

If you plan to visit the ring just PM me! It´s just an one-hour drive for me to get there
Old 10-05-2012, 01:29 PM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Smile

Thanks. Did look at the map and not far away from Frankfurt. Probably won't make it this trip but thanks for the offer. Did look at BMW track taxi and Aston Martin Vantage Passenger seat rides. Prob pass on that. Getting colder I guess.
I would like to get my skill level much higher and eventually do a Manthey Track days at thr Ring. We should all have goals, right?
Old 10-05-2012, 02:00 PM
Yannick-HST
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 56 Posts

If you change your mind and find the time to get there: My offer is still actual!
Old 10-05-2012, 02:25 PM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Heidelberg is a beutiful city - close to the ring as well! Well worth the trip to the Ring - even just to see the track and lots of sports cars. Lots of truck trafic on autobahn from Stuttgart south to Swiss border.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:28 PM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

OK, then. More things to think about. Thanks.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:04 PM
masco
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got back from Germany myself. Did the 'Ring, Cologne, Stuttgart, Munich. Be careful in the cities, especially Stuttgart, with regards to the posted speed limits. Many locals seems to do ~20 kph over the posted limit on the autobahn (if there is a limit), and 10-15 kph over in a city. I was doing ~12 kph over in our rental car in Stuttgart and happened to pass a speed camera, did not catch everyone slowing down around me. Saw the flash go off, have yet to get the ticket though (heard it should be ~35 Euros). Not many speed cameras on the autobahn from what I saw, usually only behind the overhead speed limit display signs, but not sure if those were actually being used. Often have different speed limits posted for driving in the rain, so be aware of those. Truck traffic was not too bad, they all stay to the right lanes unlike the US.

Can't say enough about the 'Ring, incredible experience overall, highly recommend trying to fit it in.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:52 PM
cbweaver1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by seapar
Heading to germany for fun with wifey in a week. Plans for porsche factory tour on 22nd in Stuttgart; porsche and mercedes museum trips sun day before. 4 days of europcar rental from heidelberg through the black forest and then to stuttgart for 2 days; then train to munich (BMW museum) and then back to Frankfurt via train before heading back to USA. A rhine river cruise/castle tour during the initial jet-lag days.

Any tips on driving...let by zones ? ask if the new 991 GT3 with come in a manual ? What is a Macan? Thanks in advance.
If you have the time for a great drive(s) any or all of the following should be on the list:

1.) Grossglockner
2.) Timmelsjoch
3.) Stelvio

I have one last pilgremmage to the 'Ring before I button down my car for the long winter slumber. If you head to the 'Ring towards the end of the month send me a PM. Some of the guys who were at the Manthey event in August may be there too. I'm happy to help.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:54 PM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Thanks all for your kind posts and offers. RennListers are the best.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:01 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by seapar

No driving experience in Germany but in Zurich traffic speed cameras have a hair trigger. My co-worker got "flashed" and the ticket indicated he was going just a few kph over the limit.

I believe -- at least in Switzerland anyhow -- slower traffic stay right and only use the left hand lane for passing is strictly enforced. We were advised this more than once by the good people in Zurich we met.

Just a couple of cautions.. be sure you check out rental car before and after you drop it off. Even small dings can be charged against you.

Be aware some and maybe all rental car agencies have rules against taking a rental car to a track and this probably includes the 'ring.

I have read this: I do not know at what speed this triggers but over some speed if you are involved in an accident even if you would be otherwise blameless you are assigned 50% blame.

Took a train ride from Zurich up along the Rhine and into N. Germany and then over to Rotterdam. That Rhine section was very nice. Lots of riverboats. The river current is quite fast and looks to be strong. If you get on a boat wear two life jackets!

Once in a while police -- though they looked more like solders -- would walk through the train and they were carrying the meanest looking automatic rifles ever. We never got bothered but I saw more than one passenger get what I took to be the "Papers, please?" routine. I never saw anyone backtalk or object. I had my papers half way out just in case whenever they walked by.

Oh, lots of castles along the river at least on the east bank. The train for the most part ran along the river on the west bank.

I would love to return and rent a car and drive around. Beautiful country. And the few people I encountered there were just wonderful.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:04 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Your itinerary only lists Germany, but if you do make it further south, Switerland has strict limits and little patience with speeders. Austrian police will issue you a ticket and assess you a hefty fine on the spot. Also, in Germany as well, passing on the right is a big no-no.

Do you speak German? If not, don't be concerned if you see freeway signs in many places pointing to Ausfahrt. It means "exit". 991 GT3 with MT is the big question. Be great if someone at the factory was willing to spill the beans about whether it will be available.

Have a great trip!
Old 10-05-2012, 08:50 PM
007DT
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

Crazy... I have an appointment on Oct 22 for the plant tour there too... 10 am.

We are then headed to the ring that afternoon where we rented a Scirocco Cup race car.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:52 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

when is the overall best time of year to tour Germany by car?
Old 10-05-2012, 09:06 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
when is the overall best time of year to tour Germany by car?
I've been there a number of times in June and early July and it's been very enjoyable. The weather is relatively good, mountain passes are free of snow, and the roads and places you might want to visit aren't overly crowded as they can be in August when everyone in Europe is on vacation. Other times of year might be less crowded, but weather is more problematic.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:16 PM
Horstair
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Concur with Mike on June, even late May but not much into July. Most northern countries as well as Benelux countries have "Ferien" aka vacations in July and August and THEY ALL ARE ON THE FREE AUTOBAHN. There have been cases of 1000km Staus (clogged traffic), no kidding! from north to south. September and October are also nice, less thunderstorms/rain than in June but shorter days and colder nights. The nice thing about June is that the sun doesn't set until nearly 10 o'clock and you party past midnight :-):=-). Also, things cost less, no joke. In Europe, prices depend on the season... Now if Octoberfest and drinking with your American friends at a beer tent (there are no Germans there...) is your game, go in late September.

Quick Reply: germany