Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

What is this grinding noise at startup?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 09:20 AM
Mikie
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rats, I wanted to believe that it was from a tight build from our hand crafted titanium rodded Metzger engines. I tell ever one I have a titanium rod in my Metzger engine at every cocktail party to which I am invited. I am not invited much anymore.

Oil congeals. After a few days most of it is not where it is supposed to be. Do not hit the throttle. Give it a moment and do not stand on it it until it is fully warmed.

Just remember, you would not want anyone to treat your titanium rod any other way.
Old 12-24-2016, 10:06 AM
chiffonade
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

refreshing this thread.

i had an 2007 3.6 gt3 that never did this even once. had 45k miles when i got rid of it. made plenty of other noises but not this one.

my 2010 3.8 gt3 started doing this @ 20k and i just searched after hearing it for the first time the other day. from inside the cabin it sounds similar to back in the day when you turned the starter on a car that was already running. or a fan shroud that gets caught on a spinning fan. very short but intense grinding sound. not a squeal like belts but definitely a short Krr-r-r-r-r-r-r sound.

anyway, it only happens 1 in every 20 or 30 starts, and only after the car has been sitting for a day or two.
Old 12-24-2016, 10:38 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,091 Posts

Chain tensioner are bleeding down. When my car had m1 in it it did this a few times. Since switching to torco and motul 5w40 I've never heard it.
Old 12-25-2016, 09:58 AM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i had that in my old 997.1

nobody could figure it out

one theory was cats too tight or something

never caused an issue. but hated it.

only happened on cold start
Old 12-26-2016, 08:20 AM
cbweaver1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dropped my .2 off in October for it's annual maintenance and warranty renewal at the dealer. In a stroke of luck my service advisor started the car and it made the noise. They went over the car in detail and believed there is something not right with the starter and changed it as a precaution under warranty. I have not heard the sound since. Unfortunately, the car will remain in winter storage until April '17 so I won't be able to monitor it until next year.
Old 12-27-2016, 08:51 PM
AGO
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoosier_Daddy
... between the occasional smoke, rattle and squealing brakes the locals think my car is a pile of crap and always ask, "How much do those cars cost? My Honda never does that!"
I also got the "get a tune up on that engine!"

Quick Reply: What is this grinding noise at startup?